Forum Index > Trail Talk > Evolution of video to 360
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostMon Jan 31, 2022 10:37 am 
Anyone on this site knows I do a lot of video work. In 2012 I spent an inordinate amount of time stitching together 3 cameras for views on the Wonderland. For the past few years I've had good success with shoulder mounted GoPros because the built in stabilization has been so good. But recently I've acquired a GoPro Max 360 camera and have been pretty impressed with the camera's capabilities. Once you set and angle of viewing, it never waivers and maintains a very stable platform no matter what the mounted camera is doing. I recently had a chance to try this on a forward helmet mount skiing the Muir snow field. In its pure form I can author a 360 video and just leave as is so the viewer can look around themselves. Or I can author the 360 in standard 2D video and point the camera in any direction I please, as I demo in the clip below. Once the camera is mounted away from the body on a pole, the viewer will have unobstructed looksies in all directions, including feet to sky. I'm looking forward to authoring videos with this capability. Here are some links for anyone interested in before and after. 2012 compilation of 3 camera shots using two Contours and one GoPro: https://vimeo.com/58934751 The newer GoPros have excellent built in stabilization so shoulder mounted works well for hiking, biking or skiing: This is from last year's hike of the Wonderland: https://vimeo.com/579019281 Typical ski example: https://vimeo.com/314844585 Biking in Italy example: https://vimeo.com/360447521 And finally, the two recent examples of editing (or not) with 360 video: <div style="padding:56.25% 0 0 0;position:relative;">
</div><script src="https://player.vimeo.com/api/player.js"></script> <div style="padding:42.86% 0 0 0;position:relative;">
</div><script src="https://player.vimeo.com/api/player.js"></script>

I desire medium danger williswall.com

sooperfly
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostMon Jan 31, 2022 10:53 am 
Cool! I was able to pan around in that last one. Your "Typical ski" and "Biking in Italy" links are the same.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostMon Jan 31, 2022 11:15 am 
Thanks, fixed the linkee.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jan 31, 2022 11:19 am 
That is some pretty unwatchable video. I got a helmet cam when they first came (pre-gopro), but quickly decided it results in fairly boring footage. If your goal is to relive your ski runs, I guess it works, but if the goal is to create footage that other people will enjoy watching, I think helmet cam footage only works well when combined with footage from another camera operator -- so you can view the skier from a distance -- and then see a short clip from their perspective -- say right at the point where they are hucking the cliff. Shooting video worth watching for others involves a lot more work.

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostMon Jan 31, 2022 3:12 pm 
I was too tense about hitting rocks and falling on ice to enjoy this..!:>) Nice job.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostMon Jan 31, 2022 7:58 pm 
"Shooting video worth watching for others involves a lot more work." Dude, it was a demo. I talked about the possibilities of 360 video compared to older cameras, therefore "demo" was in the title.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jan 31, 2022 11:46 pm 
williswall wrote:
I talked about the possibilities of 360 video compared to older cameras
Yeah the 360 video is substantially more nausea inducing. I can see where little bits of 360 video might be useful in a montage, but recording your whole bike ride / hike / ski run and posting the whole thing seems the the 21st century of the '60s grand canyon slide show from hell, where the presenter starts the narration of each slide with "Now I think this was..." Vimeo does report numbers of views -- let that be your guide to whether your videos are for yourself or something that others find interesting.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostMon Jan 31, 2022 11:57 pm 
Randito wrote:
williswall wrote:
I talked about the possibilities of 360 video compared to older cameras
Yeah the 360 video is substantially more nausea inducing. I can see where little bits of 360 video might be useful in a montage, but recording your whole bike ride / hike / ski run and posting the whole thing seems the the 21st century of the '60s grand canyon slide show from hell, where the presenter starts the narration of each slide with "Now I think this was..." Vimeo does report numbers of views -- let that be your guide to whether your videos are for yourself or something that others find interesting.
Thanks for your guidance.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Feb 01, 2022 4:31 pm 
Personally, I've stumbled across a number of Williswall's videos that I found useful for beta and general information. Some specific examples that immediately come to mind are the campground walkthroughs in Rainier, him crossing the South Mowich River after the bridge washed out last year, and the off-trail stuff on the east side of Mt Adams. His video view count is low because: 1) He doesn't advertise himself on social media platforms like Reddit 2) Vimeo doesn't have as strong of a following as YouTube 3) The subject matter is niche None of those things even remotely imply the content is low quality. As long as we're giving out feedback, Randito should work on his delivery.

Flickr | Strava

sooperfly, glenoid, flatsqwerl, williswall  neek
Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostTue Feb 01, 2022 4:56 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic
sooperfly

sooperfly
PostTue Feb 01, 2022 6:53 pm 
Thank you for showing this! Never really looked at this kind of video before, very interesting. Opens up more possibilities - I look forward to what you share in the future !! up.gif up.gif