Forum Index > Trail Talk > Longer winter backpacking routes - desert or SE
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Luc

Luc
PostMon Oct 04, 2021 4:58 pm 
I'm looking for longer (50-150mi) backpacking routes for this winter. My sis lives in ATL and so we're either thinking desert or SE, ozarks, etc. Does anyone have some good routes - either general or published - for NV/UT or AZ/NM? We're also thinking about the SE since that's closer to her. Navigation skills are A+. For desert, the only thing I don't want to do (besides drowning in a flash flood or finding myself ice-climbing out of a canyon) is have to carry 5 gallons of water. If this has been covered already feel free to link and squash.

GNGSTR
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostMon Oct 04, 2021 5:13 pm 
There's the Florida National Scenic Trail

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostThu Oct 07, 2021 9:03 am 
Luc, Interesting question, and not sure there is a clear, thumbs up answer. Hope you post your research. Tonto Trail in the Grand Canyon is one venue I know well and I have done dozens of winter trips there. Unfortunately, the window for early approval permits for February closed last Friday (I obtained a permit). And I think your chances of getting a permit for a long trip there (i.e. ticking many permit "zones" in sequence) as a walkup are slim. Also, worth mentioning is that the West Tonto is considerably more intense than the East Tonto as far as how thin the water sources are. Other "desert" trails in the Southwest? I don't know the Arizona Trail or Continental Divide routes well enough to comment whether they would be viable per your standards (especially water). I suspect you could find considerable intel online. Ozarks? Yes, a long trail there. Not sure how appealing it is but what I notice is weather. Typical high in mid 40's. Add some rain and not sure I want that one. Florida Trail? I eyeballed this some years back and it seemed like some segments were attractive. Whether or not the good segments counterbalance the "not so good" connector sections on a long hike is something I don't have the answer to.

Off trail rambler
Songs2

Songs2
PostThu Oct 07, 2021 9:22 am 
On this page of Hike Arizona there is a 78-mile loop, West Clear Creek Wilderness Arizona Trail Loop. (I know nothing about it, only that the website exists.)

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostThu Oct 07, 2021 10:27 am 
Two other Grand Canyon thoughts worth passing on about long winter trips. It is possible to resupply (without leaving the canyon, going to the rim) at Phantom Ranch via mule. Last I saw it was about $70 for 30 lb. (up or down). Phantom Ranch only (not for example Indian Gardens). Check with the mule folks about protocol details. A relatively sturdy duffle bag is needed. We found one that was 1.5 pounds. Also, midwinter sunshine there typically makes mid day solar showers reasonable. Temps in mid 50's translate into a black Dromedary becoming a viable shower in an hour and a half. YRMV

Off trail rambler
capbiker

capbiker
PostThu Oct 07, 2021 10:40 am 
The Arizona Trail. Many desert miles appropriate for winter hiking. Check out aztrail.org