Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Survey regarding recreation on state lands
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
altasnob

altasnob
PostFri Nov 05, 2021 8:54 am 
The Recreation and Conservation Office (RCO) is updating the Washington State Recreation and Conservation Plan and Statewide Trails Plan. These plans set priorities for funding trails, outdoor recreation and conservation on public lands throughout our state. https://wa-rco-scorp-2023-wa-rco.hub.arcgis.com/feedback/surveys/b8fa89e9a3d9404a8dc5c766115839e6/explore?fbclid=IwAR1MUqEriVvJRE--CKv_GrLzwC8LqfHmu29D8dpTJST4cWFMVPk9Mh4cRV4

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bargainhunter

Bargainhunter
PostFri Nov 05, 2021 12:56 pm 
Thank you for posting this. I filled it out. Maybe I'll win a free Discover Pass? My main pet peeve with outdoor access is fully reserved campsites months in advance and charging ridiculous amounts for a primitive campsite, many of which should be reserved for first come first serve people like me who often plan trips spontaneously and with short notice.

dixon
pianodirt

pianodirt
PostFri Nov 05, 2021 5:05 pm 
Quote:
My main pet peeve with outdoor access is fully reserved campsites months in advanced
There are LOTS of places in this state you can just "show up" and camp. Most of them are even free or very cheap. You just have to get off the beaten path. National Forest, DNR lands, etc. No need for Discover Pass on National Forest lands. Just leave it in better condition you found it, bury your poop 6+ inches deep and pack out your trash. And no fires in Eastern WA during the summer until mid October! Even back in the 80's, there are campsites out on the coast that would reserve a year in advance. The ones closest to the beach. If you want crowds, go to places like this. I can't imagine it's any different there now, I haven't been in a long time. If you get off the beaten path and explore around a bit, you can find some very beautiful places that rarely anyone goes to. Just don't tell the internet about them (no Instagram shots!) otherwise it'll get popular enough to put in a campground and you'll have to make a reservation. It's a big state.

Bargainhunter

Bargainhunter
PostFri Nov 05, 2021 5:16 pm 
Yes, I'm aware of plenty of remote public land camping spots off the beaten path. But now that I have kids, some/many more of my outings involve car camping spots near trailheads (e.g. Colonial Creek) and it was a real shocker for us to show up and realize that EVERY spot was taken, most reserved MONTHS in advance (likely by bots, thanks a lot rec.gov!). I guess I was naive (and perhaps trapped in the 1980's) in thinking we could just pull up at the last minute and find an empty spot and throw down the tent and put $5 in the box. Try that in Joshua Tree where you will drive around and see plenty of reserved spots that are empty all night and you can't pull in at midnight assuming they were a no show. Man, some primitive spots are more expensive than hotels, which seems criminal to me just for a plot of dirt and a picnic table.

RichP, Roy Jensen
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Nov 05, 2021 5:25 pm 
FWIW: Had an excellent camping experience last summer at Rialto Beach / Mora Campground. We arrived by bike , having ridden the Olympic Discovery Trail from Port Angeles. Mora has a small percentage of non-reservable campsites and priority is given to ride-up/Hike-up campers. On this trip we also used Hiker/Biker sites at Bogachael state park and at Fairholm campground, well also wild camped one night. There are growing numbers of official Hiker/Biker sites at various campgrounds. But even a decade ago before there were official Hiker/Bikers sites I've has generally good experiences with campground hosts figuring out a way to accommodate a camper arriving on a bike.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Nov 06, 2021 5:15 pm 
My off the beaten path places were closed due to fires last summer. I did spend a night in N. Dakota in a gas station parking lot. Slept pretty good there.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Nov 06, 2021 10:27 pm 
Bargainhunter wrote:
Yes, I'm aware of plenty of remote public land camping spots off the beaten path. But now that I have kids, some/many more of my outings involve car camping spots near trailheads (e.g. Colonial Creek) and it was a real shocker for us to show up and realize that EVERY spot was taken, most reserved MONTHS in advance (likely by bots, thanks a lot rec.gov!). I guess I was naive (and perhaps trapped in the 1980's) in thinking we could just pull up at the last minute and find an empty spot and throw down the tent and put $5 in the box. Try that in Joshua Tree where you will drive around and see plenty of reserved spots that are empty all night and you can't pull in at midnight assuming they were a no show. Man, some primitive spots are more expensive than hotels, which seems criminal to me just for a plot of dirt and a picnic table.
This doesn't solve the larger issue you're talking about, but FYI there's a private campground called Wagon Wheels about a mile up Cascade River Road that always seems to have a spot or two empty.

domaz

domaz
PostMon Nov 08, 2021 9:25 am 
Bargainhunter wrote:
There's been a steady increase in outdoor activities before 2020 and COVID accelerated that trend. Everyone has to be a planner now, reserving months in advance, the days of pulling up and finding a campsite are over. That being said if you go weekdays (or off-season) at non-reservable campgrounds you can still find a spot pretty easily.

Roy Jensen