Forum Index > Trip Reports > Most Remote Point in Glacier Peak Wilderness, Oct 9, 2021
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Eric Gilbertson

Eric Gilbertson
PostMon Oct 11, 2021 8:53 pm 
Thanks!
Quote:
looks like a nice camp spot...
Yeah, that would be a great spot. You could see the sun rising over Napeequa and setting over Glacier Peak. You might have to carry your own water there though..
Quote:
Have you tried to figure out the remote points of the smaller Washington wildernesses like Wild Sky or Noisy-Diobsud?
I haven't looked into those wilderness areas. Greg calculated the top 50 most remote points in wilderness areas in the lower 48 states here https://www.peakbagger.com/report/report.aspx?r=w. I'll have to look into the smaller wilderness areas too, though I'm pretty interested in the ones on that list.
Quote:
The trail was very well maintained all the way to Gamma last year. Is it that bad past the turnoff?
I bushwhacked a bit around Chocolate Creek Peak and I didn't think it was too bad (my standards may be low though). But even if the trail was well maintained it would be hard to have easier travel than in the Suiattle River valley. It's like a super highway on the hard packed sand and the views are great. Granted, in the spring or summer with high water flow it may be more difficult there.
Quote:
Tom Sjolseth and I climbed Ten Peak a few years back
Yes, I remember reading your report for Ten Peak - thanks for the beta! I climbed it a few weeks ago and kind of got inspired by the view down the Suiattle from the Ten Peak summit, and wanted to check out Chocolate Creek.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostFri Oct 15, 2021 5:18 pm 
Eric Gilbertson wrote:
Chocolate Creek isn't actually very chocolate colored. Maybe it got its name a different way
Chocolate Creek isn't actually very chocolate colored. Maybe it got its name a different way
Two possibilities: 1) According to Place Names in Washington by Robert Hitchman, "Chocolate Creek was named by The Mountaineers for the chocolate- colored water discharged by the glacier during seasons of rapid melt." 2) I recall reading that the Chocolate Glacier ( and indirectly its meltwater stream) were named from the late-season wind- blown debris littering its surface. This may have been in Tales of a Western Mountaineer by C.E. Rusk....can't recall. Edit: just checked. It wasn't in Rusk. There is a third possibilty..... long long ago either Beckey or Roper were eating chocolate in the vicinity. burger.gif

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Alden Ryno

Alden Ryno
PostFri Oct 15, 2021 11:46 pm 
Awesome outing! Rikki and I noticed a locked bike at the Little Giant TH when we returned from a counter-clockwise loop tagging Buck a few weeks ago. Until I double checked the dates, I thought that it might've been yours when I began reading... no such luck. Fletcher may still pester you despite tagging Chocolate Creek Peak if he adheres to a strict P400 rule and only counts clean prominence wink.gif I have to ask, have you gotten a new phone lately? Some of the tones/contrast in the images seem different and seem much closer to my images (Samsung Note 20 Ultra). The image processing of phones is astounding (though still far from high-end cameras).

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostSat Oct 16, 2021 11:05 pm 
Alden is correct Eric… this trip doesn’t count. Chocolate Creek Peak only has 363’ of prom. JK, cool trip! As geyer noted, I have also noticed huge plumes of volcanic dust rising from that area on numerous occasions. I doubt hardly anyone gets in there. Reminds me of my Dakobed Traverse in 2017 when we bivied in the headwaters of the Suiattle, just west of Moth Lake, feels out there.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Oct 17, 2021 1:07 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
Pyrites wrote:
Amazing. I wonder if the local wilderness ranger follows this forum? I know they’d have twenty reasons not to post.
Why would they object? I guarantee a couple wilderness rangers have crawled all over this area. Perhaps not exactly as Eric has; but it's not new to 'em! We have some good ones in Western Washington! up.gif
Object? What are you talking about? I’d bet they’d think it was neat.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
neek

neek
PostSun Oct 17, 2021 4:26 am 
Pyrites wrote:
I think you originally meant they wouldn't want to post in general, but it may have been misinterpreted as post about this particular area. But yeah, neat trip!

contour5

contour5
PostSun Oct 17, 2021 7:10 pm 
Wow! Nice one!

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Oct 17, 2021 8:38 pm 
neek wrote:
Pyrites wrote:
I think you originally meant they wouldn't want to post in general, but it may have been misinterpreted as post about this particular area. But yeah, neat trip!
neek wrote:
The whole public disclosure thing is a great disincentive to make any written comments on anything to do with your job. Anything to do with my job had to be kept, retained per records retention schedule, and indexed.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Eric Gilbertson

Eric Gilbertson
PostMon Oct 18, 2021 8:32 pm 
Quote:
Rikki and I noticed a locked bike at the Little Giant TH when we returned from a counter-clockwise loop tagging Buck a few weeks ago. Until I double checked the dates, I thought that it might've been yours when I began reading... no such luck.
I remember seeing awesome larch pics from your trip there! I'm pretty careful now to both hide and lock my bike at trailheads for trips like this. I had my old mtn bike stolen last spring at snowline on a forest road and don't want that repeated.
Quote:
have you gotten a new phone lately?
I have the samsung Galaxy A20, but I've had the same phone for a year or so now. My brother has google pixel 5 and I think it takes way better pictures than my phone (or he's just a much better photographer).
Quote:
Alden is correct Eric… this trip doesn’t count. Chocolate Creek Peak only has 363’ of prom
But it was a virgin peak on peakbagger - that ought to count for at least an extra 50' of prominence.
Quote:
"Chocolate Creek was named by The Mountaineers for the chocolate- colored water discharged by the glacier during seasons of rapid melt."
Yeah, that sounds like the most believable explanation. I did make sure to bring some safeway double chocolate extreme cookies on the trip to honor chocolate creek though.