Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Nov 03, 2021 1:53 pm 
DadFly wrote:
I have told my daughters that if my mind goes just send me out in the mountains on a stormy day with a light jacket.
Yeah, it doesn't work that way. As my dad's dementia progressed to the point that he could no longer really hold a conversation and speaking with him was a 5 minute loop, none of us children were interested in the "ice flow option" Also another relation has degenerative MS , 10 years ago when he could still walk, he self-prescribed a fatal dose of opioids to have in reserve "if it gets really bad", well about 2 years ago it became "really bad" in that he can no longer turn over in bed and only his right hand works and macular degeneration has left him legally blind and vision so limited that he can't even watch movies any more. As bad as that is he isn't interested in using his dosage of opioids. He now says, "As a DR I've spent my whole career fighting to protect life, I can't now end it" So for someone that isn't mentally ill , suicide when it is theoretical can be discussed lightly, but when the prospect of life's end is close at hand the conversation shifts.

day_hike_mike, iron, kw, RumiDude, dave allyn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Nov 03, 2021 3:51 pm 
Randito wrote:
for someone that isn't mentally ill , suicide when it is theoretical can be discussed lightly, but when the prospect of life's end is close at hand the conversation shifts.
The most eloquent discussion I've ever heard on this topic is here: NPR's Hidden Brain: The Ventilator - Life, Death And The Choices We Make At The End Highly recommend listening rather than just reading the transcript. Sorry for the thread hijack. hijacked.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

RumiDude
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Nov 03, 2021 5:30 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Highly recommend listening rather than just reading the transcript.
That was a tough listen. But I stuck it out. Whew... frown.gif ~z

RumiDude, Chief Joseph
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Nov 03, 2021 9:08 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Randito wrote:
for someone that isn't mentally ill , suicide when it is theoretical can be discussed lightly, but when the prospect of life's end is close at hand the conversation shifts.
The most eloquent discussion I've ever heard on this topic is here: NPR's Hidden Brain: The Ventilator - Life, Death And The Choices We Make At The End Highly recommend listening rather than just reading the transcript. Sorry for the thread hijack. hijacked.gif
Lived this ... TWICE! Once with my father and once with my brother. In each case I was the nearest of kin and the POA for both financial and healthcare. I had to make ALL the decisions. Anyway, the biggest thing is that the default position, whatever that is at the time, is hard to move off of. Status quo is the default and once a decision is made to do something it becomes the new status quo and it is really difficult to step back and reverse that. And the biggest decision is to move from doing what needs to be done to live towards not trying to live but die peacably. The specific circumstances for the two were different but in another sense they were remarkably similar. All the financial and everyday stuff was a huge burden and soul draining as well as physically exhausting. The actual decision to withdraw medical help and move to hospice was, AND IS, absolutely gut wrenching. Don't wish it upon anyone. But the truth is that THIS is the crux of modern life. Nobody dies like they think they will. I only hope that I am brave enough to face death and go peacably. I hope I do not make my life partner, who is 20 years my junior, suffer through what I did with my father and brother. [/hijack] Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

zimmertr
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Nov 03, 2021 9:28 pm 
The hardest thing I've gone through as a young adult (28) was making the end of life decisions for my estranged mother by myself because no one in my family would even consider helping. They all lived in the same part as the country as her too.... Everyone made it unnecessarily difficult for me. It almost broke me for a while.

Flickr | Strava

RumiDude  Randito
DadFly

DadFly
PostThu Nov 04, 2021 8:41 am 
There is no easy way to get through end of life processes. My family handled it well with each of my three brothers doing what they could and more importantly, supported the primary decision maker. That said, the foundation for these smooth transitions (for both my mother and father) was set up by my parents. They had detailed living wills and post death wills set up. They communicated those points to all of us on several occasions. That is on each of us to set these things up for our descendants. So even though they cannot send me out on a stormy day, they know what I do want and can refer to it in any legal proceedings.

"May you live in interesting times"

zimmertr
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Nov 04, 2021 9:39 am 
Maybe I missed something...? is this what the deal was with the person needing help on 3 Fingers?

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Nov 04, 2021 10:59 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
Maybe I missed something...? is this what the deal was with the person needing help on 3 Fingers?
No, this whole end of life discussion is thread drift. Rumi~the drifting~Dude

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostSun Nov 07, 2021 11:17 pm 
lopper wrote:
One of Shroder's rescue photos looked familiar. I think we might have a match
87ThreeFingersTrail
87ThreeFingersTrail
In daylight, that looks like it might be at or near the fountain of youth.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin

Anne Elk
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostSun Nov 07, 2021 11:27 pm 
Randito wrote:
I suppose if the SAR folks feel like they are expending too many resources with operations on Three Fingers specifically they might lobby the USFS for it be removed or locked.
I believe it's on the Nat'l Historic Register, which (I'm pretty sure) means it can't be removed, and if it has to stay, it needs to stay unlocked a) so that it CAN be accessed in case if emergency (far safer to ride out the storm IN the LO) and b) so that it won't be broken into (which WILL happen if it's locked).

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostSun Nov 07, 2021 11:33 pm 
wyattmullen wrote:
I saw this today on YouTube and thought it might be appreciated here:
Considering how many people have watched it in the last couple of days, there could be more rescues next year...and maybe they'll all have drones in the wilderness area to boot. I mean at least he didn't name the location in the title and talk about where it was throughout the video.
Be nice if they could find out who he is and fine him for flying a drone in the Wilderness. Some social media or YouTube video is what got the kid(s) who vandalized Pilchuck maybe 8-10 years ago caught. Also, (and I might be wrong), but this looks old because I thought we replaced that rope with a synthetic (yellow) one that was a bit heftier. That may be a detail Im not remembering properly. (I take that back. The TH sign board is way more damaged than it used to be. Maybe someone replaced the rope that we replaced.)

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostMon Nov 08, 2021 12:06 am 
coldrain108 wrote:
There just isn't enough "chlorine" left in the gene pool...go ahead and eat the silica drying packet.
You have no idea how many times I've rehydrate dinner with the damn desiccant packet still in the mix.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Nov 08, 2021 12:09 am 
Gwen wrote:
Be nice if they could find out who he is and fine him for flying a drone in the Wilderness. Some social media or YouTube video is what got the kid(s) who vandalized Pilchuck maybe 8-10 years ago caught. Also, (and I might be wrong), but this looks old because I thought we replaced that rope with a synthetic (yellow) one that was a bit heftier. That may be a detail Im not remembering properly. (I take that back. The TH sign board is way more damaged than it used to be. Maybe someone replaced the rope that we replaced.)
Good luck with that. Drone enforcement lies entirely with the FAA. Almost all enforcement actions have occurred on the east coast and for actions that posed an immediate threat to people in some form, e.g.tge chump who crashed his drone 70 from the court during the US Open only recieved a modest fine. https://www.vice.com/en/article/xyga8a/faa-drone-fines

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostMon Nov 08, 2021 12:13 am 
Randito wrote:
Typical Yellowstone tourists would never even get to timberline on Three Fingers before turning around or collapsing.
Typical Yellowstone tourists wouldn't even make it to the TH at Tucson Pass.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostMon Nov 08, 2021 12:22 am 
Randito wrote:
Good luck with that.
A girl can dream. But seriously (and this is a whole other topic for a whole other thread), what good are the rules, regulations, protocols, and laws if there's no oversight or enforcement? Sigh. This is the world we now live in.