RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Oct 22, 2021 4:27 pm 
JonnyQuest wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
all sorts of mean nasty things
Were you on the Group W bench?
I was born on the Group W bench. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

ChinookPass
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Oct 22, 2021 4:37 pm 
I for one really like the Historic Lookouts, they are a part of history and 3 Fingers is the coolest imo. I understand that there are a small percentage of "Purists" who do not like ANY man made structures in wilderness areas. They are entitled to their opinions but they will always be in the minority.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Oct 22, 2021 6:36 pm 
I love the thre fingers lookout with the 1939s magazines. It is an important bit of North Cascades history

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri Oct 22, 2021 7:49 pm 
No worries I sounded snarky...sorry.. The emoticon thingy should be clearer... Again the other 2 giys? I mentioned nailed it

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Oct 22, 2021 7:54 pm 
JonnyQuest wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
all sorts of mean nasty things
Were you on the Group W bench?
hihi.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
jaysway

jaysway
PostSat Oct 23, 2021 9:03 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I for one really like the Historic Lookouts, they are a part of history and 3 Fingers is the coolest imo. I understand that there are a small percentage of "Purists" who do not like ANY man made structures in wilderness areas. They are entitled to their opinions but they will always be in the minority.
I agree. Both the history and the uniqueness of having these structures where they are is important and worth preserving. Having done some hiking in the Alps and Dolomites, I know what the other extreme can look like, but how many fire lookouts currently exist? A lot fewer than there were originally. It's easy to avoid fire lookouts, I'm sure that 99% of peaks in Washington don't have a fire lookout or human structure of any kind. More than most places in the country, having a true wilderness experience here with no human made structures, and heck even no humans, is possible but you have to work for it.

Chief Joseph
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSat Oct 23, 2021 9:18 am 
There were approximately 700 lookout sites in Washington, and 3500 peaks with at least 400’ prominence. So 20% of peaks had lookouts. Hmmm, I never thought of that before.

zimmertr
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Oct 23, 2021 10:30 am 
I watched that video the other night. He does mention 3 fingers in it so it isn't hard to figure out the name. Note at the end, he mentions that some nasty weather is coming in so it is time to leave. I am fairly sure that his trip was right before the folks needing rescue went up.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
ejain

ejain
PostSun Oct 24, 2021 8:14 pm 
Riverside Laker wrote:
There were approximately 700 lookout sites in Washington, and 3500 peaks with at least 400’ prominence. So 20% of peaks had lookouts. Hmmm, I never thought of that before.
That's impressive, but keep in mind that not all lookouts are/were located on peaks with much (or any) prominence...

My Trips

belowfellow
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSun Oct 24, 2021 8:17 pm 
True. Let's say 15% of peaks, or about 1 out of 7, peaks had lookouts or lookout tents, phones, etc. (or 75% of lookouts were on "prominent" peaks).

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Oct 24, 2021 8:57 pm 
I think I've finally figured out what drives people like Drew Simms. Just go to the actual youtube page for that video and click the "show more" button. These social media types are all about monetizing their indefinite vacations. What do they care if their online activities drive thousands to previously "secluded" or just locally known areas, better left for discovery by people with enough incentive to do their own exploring and research? mad.gif There, I said it. Of course, taken to its logical extreme, I suppose something similar could be said about Rick Steves. huh.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

philfort, IanB, day_hike_mike
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Oct 24, 2021 9:42 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
What do they care if their online activities drive thousands to previously "secluded" or just locally known areas, better left for discovery by people with enough incentive to do their own exploring and research? mad.gif There, I said it.
Exactly! This is the part that made me sad after viewing it. We have these people running around monetizing experiences that were seldom seen or heard unless you put out feelers, did some reading, traveling, etc. Not just enticed by someone's picture-perfect presentation of hard won beauty or tranquility that their public will collect as they pass "Go". His video was essentially a car commercial. Grrr. But he makes it all good since it's "for charity". ~z

ozzy, zimmertr
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Oct 24, 2021 10:29 pm 
Most remote cabin. Hooey. Staying away from Antarctica there are some pretty remote places in the Canadian North. I’d bet some cabin there is way more remote.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
ejain

ejain
PostSun Oct 24, 2021 10:37 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Of course, taken to its logical extreme, I suppose something similar could be said about Rick Steves. huh.gif
...or any author of a hiking guide book...

My Trips

Anne Elk
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Oct 25, 2021 1:21 am 
I'd monetize The Angry Hiker, if he would only return!
The Angry Hiker's trail art
The Angry Hiker's trail art

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood