Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > No Parking Anywhere Near Northgate Light Rail Station
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostThu Oct 14, 2021 8:10 am 
For years now, the light rail line along I-5 had its northern terminus at Husky Stadium. The route planners made no accommodation for parking, so clearly the intent was to make the location useful to UW students but not to commuters. Whatever. moon.gif I would love to be able to use light rail! So I was looking forward to the stations opening farther north, and the day finally came on October 2, 2021. But could I actually use it? My wife and I drove down there at 10 am on Tuesday to see if we could find parking. Nope. banghead.gif Numerous large garages opened with free parking for commuters. Every one of the now thousands of parking spaces was full with many cars circling. breakdance.gif Meanwhile, some changes were made to the mall parking areas so that they cannot be used. Some now charge $15 for 2-4 hours. naughty.gif Others require validation of purchase in the mall. Sure, I get it, the parking is there for commuters and I'm just a retired guy. But still, it is frustrating to have this wonderful system and not be able to use it conveniently. vent.gif Starting with a bus ride is an option of course, but using two forms of public transportation on one trip is not convenient. So if you were hoping to park at Northgate on a weekday and use the light rail...won't work.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostThu Oct 14, 2021 9:16 am 
Sculpin wrote:
For years now, the light rail line along I-5 had its northern terminus at Husky Stadium. The route planners made no accommodation for parking, so clearly the intent was to make the location useful to UW students but not to commuters.
Not only that, but you're not even supposed to pull into the UW parking area to drop off or pick someone up. There's no nearby spot you can ask them to walk to/from either.
Sculpin wrote:
So if you were hoping to park at Northgate on a weekday and use the light rail...won't work.
Really unfortunate (and was brought up years ago). I just walked through there to check it out and was impressed with some of the infrastructure, such as the pedestrian bridge over I-5. But few live close enough to take advantage of that. There was tons of unused for-pay "Seattle Kraken" parking. To make matters worse, they've killed the non-commuter downtown bus routes in my neighborhood (lake city) so you have to take the light rail - but there's no easy bus there. (2.5 mile walk to me is preferrable to 33 minutes on 2 buses.) As an advocate of public transportation, this sort of thing is really frustrating. (Not that anyone wants to go downtown now anyway - I've been maybe twice in the past 5 years, to catch a ferry.) Uber to the airport is $80 and 35 mins, vs. 2 hour walk+wait+bus+wait+bus+wait+rail+walk.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Oct 14, 2021 9:22 am 
Sculpin wrote:
So if you were hoping to park at Northgate on a weekday and use the light rail...won't work.
even before the light rail, if you thought you could park and catch a bus downtown from Northgate on a Wednesday afternoon - not a chance. Is the mall even there any more, isn't it now a useless hockey amusement park?

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Oct 14, 2021 10:38 am 
I did a gig a few years ago for a company in Pioneer Square. Commuting from the Eastside I found that Eastgate, South Bellevue, Mercer Island and South Kirkland Park and Ride lots were all packed by about 8:30. But as long as I got to a park and ride lot by around 8 it worked well and was faster than driving. But if needed to go in late for some reason, I would just drive downtown and pay $14 or more to park. Soon a light rail station will open about two miles from my house. There are huge parking structures in the area all owned by MSFT, but I don't work for them anymore, so I'll ride my bike to the station when needed. What are the rates for paid parking at Northgate? Might still be faster and cheaper to pay for parking there and ride the train than to crawl downtown on I-5 and pay downtown parking rates.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostThu Oct 14, 2021 12:03 pm 
neek wrote:
There was tons of unused for-pay "Seattle Kraken" parking.
So that's what that was! A giant multi-level garage right behind the (full) commuter lot with only a handful of cars and angry red signs that say $15 for 2-4 hours. I did not connect the dots. How utterly ridiculous to have those spaces that close to the light rail sit empty every workday! vent.gif Randito, this is the answer to your question. I did not see any other pay lots for public use, at least not close in. The mall lots on that side had signs with the rules but I did not read them.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Oct 14, 2021 3:59 pm 
Bike lockers.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
brewermd

brewermd
PostThu Oct 14, 2021 5:08 pm 
I parked in the Northgate Target lot a few weeks back with no problem to take my dad to a doctor's appt., you might try that. I don't know how far that is from the light rail station, I have lived in Bham since '95

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Oct 14, 2021 8:18 pm 
When the University light rail link opened, Metro simultaneously eliminated a number of N/S routes west of the University that went from north Seattle to downtown. If memory serves, the runs eliminated or shortened included the 71-74 routes and left only the #70. Suddenly there were no routes going all the way down Eastlake. It seems the idea was to try and drive all that downtown bus ridership to the trains. I don't know whether there was much time saved for the workers by forcing them to make extra bus transfers to reach the train, but I guess that was one way to "force the numbers" to get the train rider statistics Metro wanted. The lack of park and rides around the train seems of a similar mindset. Problem is, a lot of people can't hop on a bike, or have limitations that make the bus connections challenging or impossible. I've seen some chatter in the media to the effect that we may never return to the pre-pandemic commuter numbers now that work from home has proven to work well for so many. The expected number of commuters for which the system was designed may never materialize.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Oct 15, 2021 7:36 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
I've seen some chatter in the media to the effect that we may never return to the pre-pandemic commuter numbers now that work from home has proven to work well for so many. The expected number of commuters for which the system was designed may never materialize.
Despite me being not happy with how things worked out, I do recognize some planning dilemmas, and this is one. I don't think that commuting will return to pre-pandemic levels. My friend works for King County, and they sent everyone in his group home for the pandemic and then cancelled the building lease with no replacement. eek.gif The other issue is that the Lynnwood station will open in three years, and that will take a huge portion of the current pressure off of Northgate. So it wouldn't make sense to build full capacity parking in 2021 that will not be needed in 2024. But still, why not just tell the Kraken that they get their private parking garage in a prime location in 2024, after the need for Northgate light rail parking diminishes? confused.gif

altasnob

altasnob
PostFri Oct 15, 2021 7:42 am 
Light rail is for 50-100 years in the future, not today. Young people can't afford single family residences in the Seattle area and most won't be able to afford them when they are older as well. It's all about high density, car-free living being built around transit zones like Northgate. Sound transit budgets more than $100,000 per parking spot it builds. Better to spend that money on transit. If you build parking at transit centers, you just move gridlock downtown to gridlock around transit centers.

drewcoll, Cyclopath, zimmertr
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Oct 15, 2021 8:26 am 
altasnob wrote:
It's all about high density, car-free living
Yeah, that's the "vision", and they're trying to force it in my Ballard neigborhood right now: the current condos and apartments being built on the recently sold SF home lots have a fraction of off-street parking built for the number of units, or none. That includes a yet to be built assisted living facility, which makes zero sense. As if none of these condo buyers own cars, and no one will drive to take grandma anywhere. The streets are already pretty parked up by residents and employees of the nearby small businesses. Fun times ahead. You're right, "Young people can't afford single family residences in the Seattle area", but they won't be able to afford what's being built, either, given the prices I've seen on the recently completed condos. I doubt bicycles will be their sole method of personal transport; so what they won't have to pay for a SFH will go for monthly private parking somewhere. lol.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Oct 15, 2021 8:32 am 
I've noticed that there are a number of large apartment buildings being constructed around Northgate. Also there have been and are being constructed large apartment / retail complexs along the eastlink rail line between Seattle and Redmond, particularly in the Spring District of Bellevue. The Spring District used to be mostly industrial and single story commercial, but now there are quite tall apartment buildings with retail at street level. I'll probably move into one of those buildings when I'm ready for the next step in downsizing.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Oct 15, 2021 9:08 am 
I ride the train from Northgate and haven't had a parking problem, and seldom had a problem pre-COVID. But I get there a lot earlier than 10 AM. The bus-to-station should be a good option, or will be, once they are able to study patterns to correct deficiencies. The bus-to-station isn't good from Lake Forest Park, so I continue to drive to the Park & Ride.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
neek

neek
PostFri Oct 15, 2021 9:34 am 
altasnob wrote:
Light rail is for 50-100 years in the future, not today
Could be. It's hard to know what things will look like that far in the future. Maybe self-driving personal autos will be the thing, and the expensive light rail infrastructure will be collecting dust. Maybe the bulk of life will take place in a virtual world, with machines doing all the physical work, drones delivering goods, etc. My complaint isn't so much around transit center parking as the difficulty in getting to the transit center in the first place. Bikes don't work for everyone. Buses are a fine idea, but they're infrequent, take circuitous routes, and frankly can be kind of nasty. I would like to see a heat map of Seattle, down to the block level, showing average time to bus to a transit center. Probably unreasonably high for many people. Maybe we should just kill the neighborhood buses and have an on-demand service, like a short-range city-funded Uber. (With reasonable provisions for people w/o smartphones.) Probably a terrible idea, but I feel like current solutions lack creativity and practicality. Pneumatic tubes? Teleportation? Surely someone's on top of this...

neek

neek
PostFri Oct 15, 2021 9:38 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
The bus-to-station should be a good option, or will be, once they are able to study patterns to correct deficiencies. The bus-to-station isn't good from Lake Forest Park, so I continue to drive to the Park & Ride.
Really? I'd think the 522 to the Roosevelt station would work, since you actually have P&Rs there vs. us in Lake City...maybe not worth the hassle though if you're in the car already.