Forum Index > Trail Talk > Can public drive on Cle Elum Dam road?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostFri Oct 08, 2021 8:17 am 
If it is possible to drive across the Dam and park somewhere then a person could explore for the east end of the unmaintained Domerie Peak trail.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Oct 08, 2021 8:55 am 
IDK, the Keechlus Dam used to be part of a moderately popular ski tour, but that got shut down after 9/11. There are now quite sturdy gates on either side of the Keechlus dam , when I rode a little ways out on my bike two years ago to view the lake, I wasn't swarmed by department of homeland security agents, but I didn't try to go all the way across.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Oct 08, 2021 1:01 pm 
On Google Maps, it looks like there is a road and major bridge downstream that would get you access to either side. You are talking about Cle Elum and not Keechelus?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostFri Oct 08, 2021 3:43 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
On Google Maps, it looks like there is a road and major bridge downstream that would get you access to either side. You are talking about Cle Elum and not Keechelus?
Yes, Cle Elum Dam. Thanks for pointing out that bridge just a bit downstream. Might have to go check that out. Like Randy remarked, I recall some years ago a locked gate but maybe that was at Keechelus.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSun Oct 10, 2021 9:12 am 
Joey wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
Yes, Cle Elum Dam. Thanks for pointing out that bridge just a bit downstream. Might have to go check that out. Like Randy remarked, I recall some years ago a locked gate but maybe that was at Keechelus.
No, you can't drive or walk across the dam. The bridge downstream has locked gates. You also can't drive to Domerie Flats through Tumble Creek. I've accessed & explored the Domerie Flats fording the CleElum River

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want

Joey
JimK

JimK
PostSun Oct 10, 2021 11:54 am 
Pre 9/11, back in 1995, I was on a Mountaineer snowshoe trip up Domerie and Baldy. It was Sunday and we parked off the side of the road just before the dam. No problem crossing the dam and doing the trip. Upon return, we all had parking tickets.

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSat Oct 16, 2021 9:43 pm 
Hey Jim, I had forgotten that you were on that trip! It's the only ticket I've ever gotten and I wasn't even driving rolleyes.gif (it was my car but Mark drove). We figured that the local cop gave us all parking tickets because he didn't want to wait around for us to come back and fine us for crossing the dam. I suppose we got off easy.

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"