Forum Index > Trail Talk > Skyline Trail (Olympic): help with some campsite possibilities?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hopsage

hopsage
PostFri Oct 15, 2021 5:31 am 
I am putting together a trip next year for myself and 8 other people, traveling the North Fork Quinault/Skyline loop (Oplymic NP). I'm planning out the itinerary using CalTopo and Wood's trail guide, but I've never been in this part of Olympic myself (did a couple of circuits of the Deer Park/ Graywolf / Grand Pass loop, so I think I have a good feel for the terrain). Anyway, I'm looking at a couple of possibilities for campsites, and I'm wondering if anyone can shed light on whether they are viable/reliable/safe/comfortable options for a group of 9 people. I've attached a couple of map images here: mainly I'm wondering about the Promise Creek basin, the high tarn to the northeast of Peak 5565, and the eastern flank of Mount Seattle. We'll be there in the last week of July, and I know this can go either way with the snowmelt, depending on this winter's snowpack. I am resigned to being eaten alive by mosquitoes. Anyway, can anybody tell me about these areas as potential campsites? I'd really like to avoid the more trafficked option of Lake Beauty, and I want to cut the mileage from there to Low Divide, as I hope we can get up to Martin's Park for another camp, and the distance from Lake Beauty (10.3 miles), while doable, is something I'd rather avoid. That option from Promise Creek Basin (around 13.5 miles) is out of the question. If I can make the PRB (or High Camp) and Mount Seattle options work, I think I have a good itinerary for the rest (unless there's something unpleasant about Martin's Park that I should know).

John H. E. Lasseter http://hopsage.smugmug.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
badknees

badknees
PostFri Oct 15, 2021 12:26 pm 
Over the years, beginning in 1972 I have been through this country a few times, but never as early as late July. Given that the odds are we'll have another real winter coming up, I would expect a lot of snow could remain on the stretches of this route from north Kimta Basin onward when you plan to be there. I'm personally not familiar with the tarn near Peak 5565- seems like there's a good chance it would be snowed in at this time. And a lot of snow cover may present routefinding challenges. On one trip we camped pretty high above Lake Beauty but had to get our water from it. And we found & used a nice camp spot in the basin a little SW of Mt Seattle, after making the long ascent above the crossing of Seattle Creek. We day hiked a few times into Martin's Park but never camped there. There's probably some camp space above the upper lake there. Getting tent space for a party of 9 may be a bit of a challenge, as the level camp spots there are tend to be smaller sized. Unless you are prepared & plan to camp on snow.

hopsage

hopsage
PostFri Oct 15, 2021 1:08 pm 
Thanks! I was afraid of that with the snow. I've done Cameron and Graywolf passes around that time, and I needed an axe for Graywolf and a dicey descent around the runout on the northside of Cameron. It sounds like even a one week delay would be a good idea. It sounds like the spot I marked on Mt. Seattle is close to where you camped. Did you ever go into the Promise Creek basin?

badknees

badknees
PostFri Oct 15, 2021 4:14 pm 
No. After struggling up to Promise Cr. Pass we've headed on toward the Lake Beauty area. That basin is pretty rocky to my recollection, but down lower there may be places to pitch a tent. A place Robert Wood calls Hee Haw Pass, north of Promise Cr Basin, has some level ground. Water would need to be scrounged before you get to it.

boomheist

boomheist
PostMon Oct 25, 2021 9:24 am 
I have done the loop twice, 1991 and again in about 2009. Once I went in up Irely Creek to the ridge and then along the trail to Low Divide, a July 4th weekend, did the loop in four long days, in rain actually, (I was a lot younger then) but a very low snow year, so I was damned lucky (I was solo), and then again going the other way up the Quinault to Martin Lakes a couple nights then the Skyline out. Another commenter said a party of 9 will struggle for tent spots, and he is right. Going up the Quinault you can get to Low Divide in 2 fairly easy days, or one damn long day. Watch the river crossing, in late July with snowmelt it might be roaring. From Low Divide to Lake Beauty on the Skyline Trail is a long hard day. You could camp in the basin before climbing to Lake Beauty I think. From Lake Beauty south until you reach Three Prune camp there isn't much. I camped at the pass between Lake Beauty and Kimta Peak, there is water downhill a ways, but maybe not if a lot of snow. The route over Kimta to Three Prune is long and water is scarce. If you are thinking of dropping off that ridge to the Quinauut to save miles - ie taking that ridge east from the pass between Beauty and Kimta then dropping down - don't. That would be a steep dangerous bushwhack and then the river would need to be crossed. Your main issue aside from campsite space will be snow. If there is a lot of snow the route will be hard to follow and dangerous. Good luck.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostMon Oct 25, 2021 10:45 am 
I did this loop at the end of August and pretty much agree with what the other posters have responded. Campsite availability with a large group will be tricky in places. There are a handful of small sites between Lake Beauty and Three Prune just south of Kimta Peak near that stream and as the trail descends but only enough for 1-2 tents each site. I didn't really explore around Promise Creek because it was cloudy, cold, and rainy on my trip but the area is quite rocky. You might find sites by descending towards your marked area but I can't say for sure and it will involve rock hopping. Here are two photos taken around the pass, before dropping into the basin and heading towards Kimta.
Three Prune camp is also surprisingly small. I arrived around 5 pm and had to setup my small tent in the center area right on trail. There were around 5 tents and the place was packed.
I think there would be good camping in the area just south of Mt Seattle as you've marked but I didn't explore it. The stream was dry at the end of August. Also very much agree with the safety and route-finding issues that snow would create. The trail is quite steep and narrow in places crossing small gullies that will have snow-bridges and bad runouts.

RodF
hopsage

hopsage
PostMon Oct 25, 2021 12:07 pm 
Damn, guys. I mean, thank you: this kind of information is exactly why I made my original post, and I really appreciate you all taking the time to share your experience (and lovely photographs). To clarify, I did not intend to try short-circuiting the route by traversing the ridge over Mt. Zindorf or following the old, abandoned Promise Creek trail route. I just want a good campsite that doesn't require the extra three miles of travel to Lake Beauty, which sounds like it's pretty badly overused anyway. It sounds like Promise Creek Basin might offer that, so long as it isn't snow covered and people don't mind the rock hopping to get there. But y'all have me a bit spooked about the potential danger between Kimta Peak and the Lake Beauty junction. I think I could probably handle all but the very worst navigation challenges in there, but the possibility of snow runout crossings on those slopes unnerves the crap out of me, when I think about being responsible for a half dozen other people doing it. Having read other trip reports from this summer indicating that there are some washouts in that stretch doesn't help. I have used an axe to get over Graywolf, and I've practiced self-arrest many times, but I've never had to self-arrest for real. Beyond that, traditional map and compass skills, and the ability to put on crampons, I'd rate my mountaineering experience at zero to none above "experienced hiker". This trip would be a group of 7 strangers plus me and a friend, so I don't have any assurance right now that all or even most of them would have even this much experience. The point about fording the NF Quinault during snowmelt is also well-taken. Perhaps if this trip happens at all, I should try to move it near the end of August. Not what I wanted to hear from anybody, but it sounds like what I need to hear.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostMon Oct 25, 2021 1:11 pm 
Yes, I'd definitely suggest pushing back your trip if possible to avoid any potential snow. In August the overall trail conditions were better than I expected, even in the "primitive" stretch between Low Divide and Kimta Peak. Skykomish trail all the way to Low Divide was in good shape with some muddy sections. Nothing difficult. The Quinault ford was about knee deep and ice cold but easy. Plentiful camping options at Low Divide. The trail up to Martin's Park is rough, steep, and very muddy in places. Low Divide out to Mt Seattle did go through some washed out gullies but it wasn't that difficult. Trail was actually pretty nice higher up on the ridge. Short very steep bit with a root-ladder approaching the pass before Lake Beauty. The lake is quite pretty and I was lucky to have it to myself until just after sunset. Lots of established campsites here, seems well used. Some of the bad trail sections look like this:
Beyond Lake Beauty the trail gets rough and steep and requires following cairns through a rocky open area. Not too hard but slow. Beyond Promise Pass the trail gets steep, muddy, and narrow in places. Lots of small ups and downs that really add up in elevation. Allow a lot of time to get through here. Likely no water along the way until below Kimta Peak. From Kimta to Three Prune it goes back to a more normal trail through open areas and forest. I exited through Three Lakes and it was good trail up to the lakes, then rough in places dropping down into the valley again. No problems getting through Big Creek even though the trail is washed out there.

RodF, hopsage
Luc

Luc
PostWed Nov 10, 2021 9:52 pm 
All advice is spot on imo. I'd never do this one with snow cover. Re campsites, if your team is ok with 1p and bivy setups, that would open up a lot of options. I think 3 prune and beauty are the only established spots that I've seen that could fit a bigger tent. If you have a bunch of coffins or bivys then the possibilities open up a bunch. The SW Seattle slope has always looked cool to me to camp. Not sure if there's anything established but I bet there is. Just tread lightly. Push your trip out a month and have a great time!

GNGSTR