Forum Index > Trip Reports > Chumstick Mtn hike, 10/15
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostMon Oct 18, 2021 8:47 pm 
Chumstick Mountain 5810, Pt 5416, Pk 5221, Pk3855 Went out Friday and hiked up these peaks outside of Leavenworth. Anyway, I needed to escape the rain on the west side. On this day, I had nice overcast for most of my hike, no rain! Most of these peaks you can almost drive to the top of, but I prefer to do a little hiking to gain my summits. In my quest to get in some hiking, I made up a nice cross-country / road walking loop for these Chumstick area hills. I approached via the forest roads off Eagle Creek, see maps. My first summit of the day was 5221. I started with some pleasant cross-country hiking up a typical open ridgeline with a few nice old pines en-route. Then I had some abandoned road walking and some more cross country; eventually, all this took me to the road/saddle between 5221 and 5416. After a short road walk, I left the main road and went up the southeast ridge and on over to the summit. This summit appears to be private property, and is getting some structure development near the top.
Hike up views
Hike up views
Nice Pine
Nice Pine
Hike views
Hike views
Curious
Curious
I returned back to the saddle and went up a steep motorcycle track/ hiking trail up the west ridge to the top of 5416. The summit is nice.
Pt 5416 summit
Pt 5416 summit
Pt 5416 views
Pt 5416 views
From 5416, I followed the trail down to the saddle with Chumstick. I hiked the road to the bend at 5200. Here, I followed a steep track/trail up to the top of Chumstick. Chumstick is a very nice open viewpoint. For those that don’t want to hike you can literally drive up and park your vehicle over the benchmark. It was cold and windy up top. After some lunch, I headed back to the car.
Pine cones
Pine cones
Hike up Chumstick views
Hike up Chumstick views
Pk 5774 larch
Pk 5774 larch
Chumstick views
Chumstick views
Chumstick summit
Chumstick summit
Descending Chumstick
Descending Chumstick
After getting back to the car, I still had some daylight, so I then drove fr7805 most of the way up to 3855. You can drive to within a stones throw of the top, but I chose to walk up and explore a bit. There are nice views just a bit west of the summit trees and also at the 3840 point to the south.
Pk3855 hike views
Pk3855 hike views
Pk3855 hike views
Pk3855 hike views
Overall, not a bad little loop trip for exploring the area and getting out of the rain. The area is full of roads and logged areas, but it still looks quite scenic. On a nicer day you would also have nice views into the cascades. All the main roads up here look to be in good shape. I encountered a few folks driving the roads. It will probably also be busier for the next few weeks as I think the normal season for hunters starts.
Chumstick Hills Map
Chumstick Hills Map

Lindsay, RichP, raising3hikers, awilsondc, flatsqwerl, fourteen410, Pef
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
some names

some names
PostThu Oct 21, 2021 1:44 pm 
Nice pictures of ponderosa pines! Chumstick Mountain is a nice snowshoe destination in winter.

somesignaturehere and somesignaturethere
RichP

RichP
PostThu Oct 21, 2021 2:24 pm 
Puzzlr and I did it in winter from Swakane Canyon and it was indeed a good snowshoe. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8020030

timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Oct 26, 2021 7:17 am 
Was plenty of Hunters up the Chumstick this weekend

kitya