Forum Index > Trip Reports > Stillaguamish Pk 5720' 10-19-2021
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostSat Oct 23, 2021 4:07 pm 
Sorry for the late report but we had such a blast up there I decided I better write one up lol. The only good window during the week was on Tuesday so we decided some sick days were in order! As per freakin usual Hans and Bryan were easily persuaded! rocker.gif We decided for a nice alpiny start seeing as it could be the last chance of the year. The stoke was high to try and get up there for the sunrise! We met Hans at the Perry Creek trail around 3am and were moving at 345am. The miles flew by up to the ridge that lies between Forgotten and stillaguamish. We left the trail at 4600ft and climbed straight up until we intersected the climber's path that leads all the way to stillaguamish. The meadow rambling is awesome up here and it's pretty sweet how quick you reach the alpine! banana.gif On the way to the peak we stopped at pt 5443' to catch a cool sunrise! borank.gif The inversion layer added to the gnarliness! We made it here around 7am. Sipping on whiskey the moment was splendid for all, cheers Bois! cheers.gif
Bryan early dawn
Bryan early dawn
inversion with whitechuck and Pugh
inversion with whitechuck and Pugh
ooohh buddy
ooohh buddy
the montes and dickerman
the montes and dickerman
big 4
big 4
love this time of day
love this time of day
gp and Sloan
gp and Sloan
can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
Awesome stuff
Awesome stuff
never gets old
never gets old
Stillaguamish
Stillaguamish
ooohweee
ooohweee
Going into this one we weren't expecting much...but dayum what a stellar area!! eek.gif The weather man was right on today, mostly sunny! rocker.gif Big four, the montes, Sloan, gp, Pugh and whitechuck, baker, Whitehorse, and 3 fingers to name a few were out in full force!! We took our time to the peak, the nice trail was pleasant. The views just get better and better the closer you get. Once the summit block was reached we had a nice little class-2/3 finish to the broad area up top! Wow!! Awesome views to boot all round! breakdance.gif It was nice and comfy up there too so we decided for the extended stay! We got lucky and found a mounty reg up there. What a sweet leisurely stroll that was much needed, I love the mtn loop. The time was 9am.
nice layering down low, whitechuck above
nice layering down low, whitechuck above
closer
closer
love these places
love these places
the last slopes to the summit
the last slopes to the summit
last move up top
last move up top
B dawg topping out
B dawg topping out
Baker back there
Baker back there
the reg with 3 fingers and Whitehorse
the reg with 3 fingers and Whitehorse
bums
bums
forgotten and gp
forgotten and gp
Stokery
Stokery
Stilly valley
Stilly valley
the ridge back home
the ridge back home
reluctance
reluctance
The time always flies by when on a peak, or just in the alpine in general lol. dizzy.gif We ended up reluctantly leaving at 1045am. As we headed back down many stops were made to maximize our time up there. We couldn't help ourselves! cheers.gif Retracing our route back through the beauty of the meadows it went quick. After that we were in the trees for a while then the stretch by Perry Creek falls was alive with fall colors! It was sweet seeing all the bright yellows and they weren't even larches lol. We got back to the car at 3pm making it just over 11hrs for the day. I think the mileage is around 13 miles with about 4600ft gain. Man we were totally fulfilled with this lil peak, it exceeded expectations for sure. humpy.gif I'm starting to love the mtn loop more and more each year it seems! Well thanks Hans and Bryan for getting back out again! Cheers buddies and cheers to all!!
back down the peak
back down the peak
Hans coming down
Hans coming down
South lk and pemmican
South lk and pemmican
Hans playing around
Hans playing around
this guy lol
this guy lol
ledges
ledges
break spot
break spot
another break spot
another break spot
what a day
what a day
looking back
looking back
Pugh and forgotten
Pugh and forgotten
the shiny part of Perry Creek
the shiny part of Perry Creek

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin

BarbE, RAW-dad, ejain, Pef, NWtrax, Route Loser, Theboywhocriedroute, reststep, ONELUV1, Kascadia, Nancyann, Gimpilator, rubywrangler, Tom, RichP  awilsondc  geyer
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Oct 23, 2021 5:03 pm 
Great report. Looks like fun up there on that ridge. I've been up Perry Creek as far as the high point before the descent/traverse to Mt. Forgotten. That view in the last photo seems to get a lot of attention in the fall during leaf season. I've seen it a few times here. Makes me want to go back.
ozzy wrote:
ozzy wrote:
I'm starting to love the mtn loop more and more each year it seems!
If you are starting to appreciate the Mountain Loop more, you would enjoy perusing the many drawings of Dave Fish's scrambling guide. Do you have a copy of his book: Rambling and Scrambling around the Mountain Loop Hwy? I think it's out of print but you should be able to find a copy. I think you would really enjoy his drawings of all the various routes, old trails, roads, and mines in the Mountain Loop area. Here's a link to the book posted by the author a few years back. He goes by daffish. His drawings make you want to go up and check things out for yourself. Embiggen those babies and see what I'm talking about. ~z

Theboywhocriedroute, Chief Joseph, ozzy
camut

camut
PostSat Oct 23, 2021 5:40 pm 
Really enjoyed your pictures of an old familiar friend. We used to go up there a lot, but haven't been in a long time. Used to be a fairly large herd (maybe a dozen or so) goats up there.

ozzy
RichP

RichP
PostSat Oct 23, 2021 5:45 pm 
Great berry picking in season on that ridge too.

Chief Joseph, ozzy
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostSat Oct 23, 2021 6:04 pm 
zephyr wrote:
If you are starting to appreciate the Mountain Loop more, you would enjoy perusing the many drawings of Dave Fish's scrambling guide. Do you have a copy of his book: Rambling and Scrambling around the Mountain Loop Hwy? I think it's out of print but you should be able to find a copy. I think you would really enjoy his drawings of all the various routes, old trails, roads, and mines in the Mountain Loop area. Here's a link to the book posted by the author a few years back. He goes by daffish. His drawings make you want to go up and check things out for yourself. Embiggen those babies and see what I'm talking about. ~z
Oh that's so badass!!! Never heard of Dave Fish, bet he was a gnarly dood! Thanks for the link Zephyr I will definitely be trying to track down a copy now!! I find the whole area very historically intriguing! Cheers Friend! rocker.gif

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Oct 23, 2021 6:04 pm 
That's a fun one and a really nice trail...once you find it. Unlikely to see anyone on that hike. I want to go back and camp and fish at South lake, just below Stilly Peak.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

ozzy
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostSat Oct 23, 2021 6:08 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
That's a fun one and a really nice trail...once you find it. Unlikely to see anyone on that hike. I want to go back and camp and fish at South lake, just below Stilly Peak.
Yea that lake looked nice and secluded for sure! Perfect! Bryan was saying how he thought there might be some fish in there too! cheers.gif

camut

camut
PostSat Oct 23, 2021 6:26 pm 
South Lake is a really pleasant place to camp, and not difficult to get to. It used to have fish; don't know if it still does.

ozzy
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Oct 23, 2021 8:58 pm 
Anyone know the best route down to the lake? Prior to the traverse, on the right there was a drop off that would require maybe a couple of short raps....thinking west, then down toward the north would be better.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
camut

camut
PostSun Oct 24, 2021 9:12 am 
CJ, getting to South Lake involves nothing any more difficult then a steep heather/berry brush scramble following the path of least resistance from the obvious low point in the ridge. I don't know how many people go there now, but it would not surprise me at all if there is now an obvious bootpath and/or some flagging. A map and some common sense should get you there. There used to be a guy (I don't remember his name) who would fly you in to South Lake by helicopter. (It is not in Wilderness.) I've heard some pretty wild stories about some of those escapades.

Chief Joseph  ozzy
Theboywhocriedroute

Theboywhocriedroute
PostSun Oct 24, 2021 10:02 am 
Yes sir! Oh how my expectations were exceeded... theres always something new to see as the seasons pass, like those leaves riding currents up the cliff face and swirling around the ridge like a snowglobe!! Great stealth op, great sunrise, and a pleasure doing business with you and b dawg yet again rocker.gif

geyer, Chief Joseph, RichP  ozzy
Lightning_bug

Lightning_bug
PostSun Oct 24, 2021 10:44 am 
Theboywhocriedroute wrote:
Hahaha, such a good buddy picture! Stilly is one of my favorite mountain loop secrets. In my opinion, the meadows below Stilly surpass the Forgotten ones, which everyone seems to go to. I've been up there twice, but you reminded me that next time I'd like to camp, maybe in the spring when there's some snow to melt. Thanks so much for writing this one up! Can't wait to see what other interesting stuff y'all get into with our dwindling fall days. -Candy

Theboywhocriedroute  ozzy
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Oct 24, 2021 12:29 pm 
It looks like you got a fantastic day on a great peak. Thanks for the photo of the brass Mountaineers register. I added it to a list I'm keeping of the peaks that still have one of these. AFAIK, what's out there is all there will every be, assuming a new batch isn't manufactured. The Mountaineers had a good article about summit register history.

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun Oct 24, 2021 5:11 pm 
ozzy wrote:
Ha, funny but true. Nice summit, one I need to get to someday.

Eric Eames

ozzy
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostMon Oct 25, 2021 11:32 am 
Love the early morning shots. Inversions never get old. smile.gif Perry Creek is a special place and leads to even specialer places. Thank you for sharing!

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.

ozzy