Forum Index > The Trading Post > Want to sell $200 Smith sunglasses voucher for $180 obo
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jupsal

jupsal
PostWed Oct 27, 2021 9:47 am 
I warrantied some Smith Sunglasses and got a voucher for $200. Unfortunately, since I warrantied the glasses I got a prescription so I want to buy prescription sunglasses for hiking. Even more unfortunately Smith won't honor the $200 voucher for prescription glasses. So now I have this $200 voucher that I don't know what to do with! I'd like to sell this voucher for $180 to someone here. I checked today and it works for any sunglasses (not RX nor goggles etc.) on the smithoptics.com website. My big pitch for Smith sunglasses is Chromapop. The glasses are probably overpriced without Chromapop, but everything looks so amazing with Chromapop. Amazing enough that I am willing to pay $200+ for sunglasses that make me see that sh*t and am very sad when I don't bring it. Payment options can be discussed, I live in Seattle but can also just send the code.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Oct 27, 2021 3:29 pm 
Odd that they won't let you use the voucher for prescription. I would push back on that. If they restrict what you can buy with the voucher it sounds like it's worth less than a gift card. Gift cards in the secondary market generally sell at less than 80% of face value unless it's a very desirable brand so I think they asking price is a little steep, not that I'm looking for sunglasses. I'm really happy with my Serengeti glasses. Great optics are worth paying for I would concur.

jupsal

jupsal
PostWed Oct 27, 2021 3:40 pm 
Tom wrote:
Odd that they won't let you use the voucher for prescription. I would push back on that. If they restrict what you can buy with the voucher it sounds like it's worth less than a gift card. Gift cards in the secondary market generally sell at less than 80% of face value unless it's a very desirable brand so I think they asking price is a little steep, not that I'm looking for sunglasses. I'm really happy with my Serengeti glasses. Great optics are worth paying for I would concur.
Yeah so I am kind of in a pickle here. Before I warrantied, they told me that I could not use the voucher for sunglasses. Then I kept using the glasses for a bit (the thing I am warrantying for is minor, but will get worse over time) and decided to actually submit the warranty claim. They sent me an email with the code and told me that I needed to send them a picture of the glasses destroyed. Well, that was December 2020. I never got around to it last winter and then wanted to use the glasses this summer before destroying them. This whole time I thought that the warranty claim had not gone through and would only go through when I sent them a picture of the destroyed glasses. I tried the code today and it works without me destroying the glasses. So I am tempted to not try to prod them more... The $180 is very flexible. I have never sold anything like this so I don't know how it works. I'd be happy to give a better deal to someone if it seems steep, especially someone in this lovely community smile.gif

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostWed Oct 27, 2021 10:03 pm 
I once made a comment about needing someone who understood the origins of actuarial tables. I tried. I failed. Can’t let it go that someone who knows something of gift cards might have recently participated.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Oct 27, 2021 11:59 pm 
Just familiar with the gift card resale market as I know some of the bulk buyers that purchase certain brands very close to par, such as Best Buy (tends to be popular to bypass purchase restrictions on high demand Apple products for resale) and other brands like Amazon, Apple, Home Depot, and Walmart that sell as high as 95%. Those tend to be the exception to the rule though. You can get an idea of the resale market by looking at sites like giftcardwiki.