Forum Index > Trail Talk > backpacking in central Washington
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
pula58

pula58
PostThu Oct 28, 2021 10:55 am 
I have some good hiking books that cover central WA, but most of the described trips are day hikes. I'm looking for a good idea source for one-night and/or two-night backpacking trips. For 2 nights we'd require that there be a drinkable (with boiling) water source, but for one-nighter's we could carry in our water. Any good ideas? books? Specific trip suggestions? addendum: I forgot to mention that I am particularly looking for winter trips without a lot of snow, and/or late autumn, early spring when the weather is nasty on the West side. Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
2manyhobbies

2manyhobbies
PostThu Oct 28, 2021 11:56 am 
I have been looking at going up the Entiat River and from there hiking into the Glacier Peak wilderness. If you are considering north central WA. I would look at trails into the Pasayten wilderness.
Sunny pass, Pasayten wilderness.

pula58

pula58
PostThu Oct 28, 2021 12:59 pm 
Thanks! I forgot to mention that I am particularly looking for winter trips without a lot of snow, and/or late autumn, early spring when the weather is nasty on the West side.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostThu Oct 28, 2021 2:08 pm 
This has come up before. I have three recommendations: 1, The Colockum State Wildlife Area. 2. Ancient Lakes, Dusty Lakes and beyond. 3. Goose Lake Plateau. All these places have water. One issue though is that much of the water is polluted with ag chemicals. It's no doubt safe enough to drink for a couple days but you wouldn't want to drink it all the time. Ancient/Dusty is the only place folks backpack, not including weirdos like me. clown.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
pula58

pula58
PostThu Oct 28, 2021 2:55 pm 
Sculpin, yes, we got the idea of going to coluckum from you, and loved it (Tarpiscan area). Ancient lakes - check. Goose lakes- Never been, I saw a thread here a short time ago that mentioned the prevalence of crime at the Goose Lake area. Kinda scared us.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Oct 29, 2021 6:58 am 
There's Douglas Creek. There might be snow up on top though, and wind. The creek is probably tainted with ag chemicals that wash in from the wheat fields. I wouldn't drink it but maybe you can find snow and I seem to remember some springs along the creek. Be prepared for wind. But that same wind can scour the snow off the ground and make walking easier. I haven't officially hiked it, but rode my horse in that part of the coulee as a kid and fished the creek. All this before it was "discovered".

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostSun Nov 07, 2021 8:42 pm 
pula58 wrote:
For 2 nights we'd require that there be a drinkable (with boiling) water source, but for one-nighter's we could carry in our water. Thanks!
Don't have any specific ideas for Central Washington, but I'd recommend getting a water purifier/filter. They are relatively cheap and so much easier than boiling.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Nov 07, 2021 8:55 pm 
Joseph wrote:
pula58 wrote:
For 2 nights we'd require that there be a drinkable (with boiling) water source, but for one-nighter's we could carry in our water. Thanks!
Don't have any specific ideas for Central Washington, but I'd recommend getting a water purifier/filter. They are relatively cheap and so much easier than boiling.
Are there water filters for backpacking that filter out pesticides, herbicides, and nitrogen/fertilizer runoff? Those are what would concern me.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostSun Nov 07, 2021 10:28 pm 
You might look into the Juniper Dunes Wilderness. It's dry, so you'd have to carry water, but it could be a really interesting and different trip. I've been wanting to check it out myself. I think D Insco went in there once; might pm him for details. Permit required, but I think you just call the Spokane BLM office to get that.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Nov 08, 2021 9:38 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Are there water filters for backpacking that filter out pesticides, herbicides, and nitrogen/fertilizer runoff?
That would require reverse osmosis technology like this: https://www.amazon.com/Countertop-Reverse-Osmosis-Revolution-Purification/dp/B00GDGTI26 Only 5 lbs. - I was surprised - but you need pressure, so maybe a generator and submersible pump as well. Probably need a wheelbarrow... hockeygrin.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
pula58

pula58
PostMon Nov 08, 2021 11:25 am 
Joseph wrote:
pula58 wrote:
We have a water filter for sure...but alot of central WA areas have agricultural runoff which can include pesticides, and our water filter won't make that kind of water safe. It's easier to just carry a gallon of water to cook with for a single overnight.

pula58

pula58
PostMon Nov 08, 2021 11:27 am 
Joseph wrote:
pula58 wrote:
We have a water filter for sure...but alot of central WA areas have agricultural runoff which can include pesticides, and our water filter won't make that kind of water safe. And boiling wouldn't make it safe either (boiling would kill bacteria and viruses, but it won't purify the water of chemicals). It's easier to just carry a gallon of water to cook with for a single overnight.

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostTue Nov 09, 2021 6:40 pm 
pula58 wrote:
We have a water filter for sure...but alot of central WA areas have agricultural runoff which can include pesticides, and our water filter won't make that kind of water safe. And boiling wouldn't make it safe either (boiling would kill bacteria and viruses, but it won't purify the water of chemicals). It's easier to just carry a gallon of water to cook with for a single overnight.
Ah. didn't know you'd be encountering that where you're going.

pula58
pianodirt

pianodirt
PostThu Nov 11, 2021 6:28 pm 
I came across a water filter thread elsewhere (I think backpackinglight.com) that had a couple very knowledgeable people answering. The short of it is you can effectively filter out pesticides and herbicides using granulated active carbon, which you can buy inexpensively at a pet store and make your own filter. Water just needs a short contact time to be purified. BUT, the only way to filter out synthetic fertilizers is through reverse osmosis or distillation. And since we're talking about agricultural run-off here, I doubt you'd find water that only had the 'cides' and not fertilizer. I don't know the health risks of drinking fertilizers, but I'd rather not risk it. It's been years since I've been to Ancient Lakes. But my memory is the water was just choking with underwater plants and upstream it's full of bright green algae, very thick mats of it. Fertilizer run-off to be sure. There were however LOTS of pretty little sunfish in at least one of the lakes, but I'd have to be starving to think of eating one of those.

maurella

maurella
PostMon Nov 15, 2021 9:33 pm 
I think an area that might be of interest to you is the Telford Scablands, which is south of US2 between Wilbur and Creston. BLM owns significant pieces of it and it is not agricultural except for some cattle grazing. There are numerous pothole and coulee lakes, I think of natural, not seepage from irrigation elsewhere. There is a BLM campground at Twin Lakes which looks to me like one could use for a trailhead.

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi