Forum Index > Trail Talk > DOT pass cameras web page gone
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Nov 08, 2021 8:23 am 
The WADOT has revamped its web site, and not for the better IMO. Whereas before you could bookmark the pass cameras to get thumbnails and click for more info such as snow totals, weather forecasts, and resort cams now you get a link to all 150+ road cams in the state with snowcrummy pass at page 6 of I-90.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Owler

Owler
PostMon Nov 08, 2021 8:32 am 
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostMon Nov 08, 2021 8:38 am 
I went to wsdot home page, typed "pass report" in the search box, and boom, top of the list was the link to the mountain pass report page. That was easy.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Nov 08, 2021 8:47 am 
Thanks updated bookmarks stilled liked the old format better for a quick look.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Nov 08, 2021 6:00 pm 
Love seeing the snow. Too bad this stupid warm front/ar is going to dump warm rain to end this week.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Nov 08, 2021 6:05 pm 
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Nov 09, 2021 6:59 am 
Gwen wrote:
I went to wsdot home page, typed "pass report" in the search box, and boom, top of the list was the link to the mountain pass report page. That was easy.
Sure, but their code isn't standard as the old site was. I now have to switch over to Firefox now instead of continuing with Safari... typical of lame government programmers and / or contractors.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Nov 09, 2021 8:17 am 
moonspots wrote:
Sure, but their code isn't standard as the old site was. I now have to switch over to Firefox now instead of continuing with Safari... typical of lame government programmers and / or contractors.
Interesting considering Firefox has 3.66 % market share and Safari 19% https://gs.statcounter.com/browser-market-share But developers are a funny bunch and they might be using the Red Hat distribution and Firefox for religious reasons.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Nov 09, 2021 9:22 am 
Randito wrote:
moonspots wrote:
Interesting considering Firefox has 3.66 % market share and Safari 19% https://gs.statcounter.com/browser-market-share But developers are a funny bunch and they might be using the Red Hat distribution and Firefox for religious reasons.
Developers on RHEL!? Sounds like something an ex-softie would say. Who wants to pay for a license? wink.gif

Flickr | Strava

neek
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Nov 09, 2021 10:09 am 
moonspots wrote:
What happens on safari? What version and what hardware are you running it on?

neek

neek
PostTue Nov 09, 2021 11:31 am 
Works for me on Safari but maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing.
zimmertr wrote:
Developers on RHEL!? Sounds like something an ex-softie would say. Who wants to pay for a license? wink.gif
Most linux distros use FF by default so I'm not sure what Randito is talking about. I do know one dev who still prefers Fedora however.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Nov 09, 2021 7:29 pm 
moonspots wrote:
Their code is actually entirely standard, up to modern specs and and uses a very popular CMS that's easy to support long term - and this is especially relevant given that the sites was probably built by a contracted outsourcer rather than internally, but with the intention of making it as easy as possible for the internal parties to maintain (which I highly doubt the old site was). The old site was also built with much, much older browsers in mind, support for which has long since been deprecated due to long term security concerns and long lapsed end of life dates, and way, way back before everyone had a smart phone in their pocket - it was a real bad user experience trying to pull up Ferry schedules on my phone. If you're using a modern browser, you should have no trouble at all with the new site. If you're still hanging on an outdated browser, the problem isn't on their end.
Randito wrote:
Interesting considering Firefox has 3.66 % market share and Safari 19%
Safari only has a 19% market share if you include iOS devices. Desktop browser usage is about 10% for Safari and 8.5% for Firefox. Depending on how they're counting those figures, it might even be artifically inflated toward Safari too, since both Chrome and Firefox running on any Apple devices are actually just re-skinned versions of the engine that Safari uses, and in turn they have the same pitfalls and quirks that Safari have.

Bryan Swan Pictures - http://www.bryanswanphotography.com Waterfalls - www.waterfallsnorthwest.com

graffiti, Cyclopath, zimmertr, neek
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostTue Nov 09, 2021 9:30 pm 
Don't you guys get enough of this stuff at work? Sorry - These days discussing OSs and browsers even at work makes me want to "RHELf" up a chrome firefox on safari onto the edge of my fedora.

dixon  ChinookPass
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Nov 10, 2021 10:30 am 
moonspots wrote:
I looked at the code. I don't see anything that looks bad. What do you think they're doing wrong? Do you have 15 toolbars installed?

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed Nov 10, 2021 11:34 am 
Safari users dont matter tho, so no worries there. Using apple maps they wont find i90 or us2 anyway so it doesnt matter that the pass cams dont work. biggrin.gif