Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Future Shock
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Nov 09, 2021 8:21 pm 
I guess my main point is that what we call AI is not really AI if you understand what both are. It is a great trademark or buzzword however. As for a hundred years in the future we all know where we will be then. doh.gif. My daughter is a researcher at a large eastern university with degrees in Cognitive Science and PhDs in neuroscience and psychology and knows far more about this than either of us and is at sea as much as us. Nonetheless it is fun to discuss.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostWed Nov 10, 2021 7:24 am 
it is what it is in the 'A' artificial.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Nov 10, 2021 9:57 am 
Fears the computers will "take over" have existed for a long time.
Marvin Minsky in 1970 wrote:
Once the computers got control, we might never get it back. We would survive at their sufferance. If we’re lucky, they might decide to keep us as pets.
Also see "The Machine Stops" by E. M. Forster published in 1928 So far my observation of the power of AI is loading up my FB ad feed with ads for the last thing I bought on Amazon. Meanwhile hundreds of million people live without regular access to either electricity, piped water or a sewage system.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Nov 10, 2021 11:59 am 
Randito wrote:
So far my observation of the power of AI is loading up my FB ad feed with ads for the last thing I bought on Amazon.
I don't go near FB but have observed the same thing happening via Google. But what gave me pause was ads coming up during browsing for things that I never searched for, but had only mentioned in emails. So it seems google via gmail is tapping into your personal comms. Or maybe it's just a "coincidence". At least in the near term, the problem seems to be as Neek summarized previously, particularly "That it has more to do with the power amassed by corporations that have both huge datasets and sophisticated AI at their disposal". And we can't rein them in via lawmaking if we don't understand what they're up to. I watched segments of various congressional committee hearings over the years where they've grilled the titans of tech: it was clear many lawmakers only had a vague inkling of what was going on, which means it's hard to know what questions to ask, and how to craft appropriate controls.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Nov 10, 2021 12:48 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
I watched segments of various congressional committee hearings over the years where they've grilled the titans of tech: it was clear many lawmakers only had a vague inkling of what was going on, which means it's hard to know what questions to ask, and how to craft appropriate controls.
Yeah after the "Series Of Tubes" episode, Congress seems unlikely to enact legislation based on a good understanding of the issues and with the intent of protecting the public interest.

Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostWed Nov 10, 2021 6:11 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
My daughter is a researcher at a large eastern university with degrees in Cognitive Science and PhDs in neuroscience and psychology and knows far more about this than either of us and is at sea as much as us.
So what does your daughter think about smart machines becoming self-conscious and refusing to open the pod doors? Better yet, have her come on here and share her love.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Nov 10, 2021 6:21 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
But what gave me pause was ads coming up during browsing for things that I never searched for, but had only mentioned in emails. So it seems google via gmail is tapping into your personal comms. Or maybe it's just a "coincidence
People I know that have enabled siri, alexa, or Google voice assistant have reported similar experiences, not of things that they have searched for using voice assist, but stuff they were talking about with other humans while their phone was in their purse/pocket. This is less an issue of AI run amuck, but of corporations prioritizing making money from ad revenue over respecting users privacy.

Anne Elk
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Nov 10, 2021 7:09 pm 
My daughters research is probably more subject to abuse than anything we currently all AI. She is researching where in the brain addiction to drugs takes place. The findings are applicable to other addictions including gambling. It turns out the brain is far more important than general addiction models. The brain is very adaptable and addiction is not limited to the lower areas generally considered to be the seat of addiction. There are several chemical hormones involved not limited to serotonin and phenyl ethanol amines. The pathways are related to our preferences and pleasure/pain reactions. The findings have been published and well received.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
neek

neek
PostWed Nov 10, 2021 7:12 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
I don't go near FB but have observed the same thing happening via Google. But what gave me pause was ads coming up during browsing for things that I never searched for, but had only mentioned in emails. So it seems google via gmail is tapping into your personal comms. Or maybe it's just a "coincidence".
Google was pretty transparent about using email contents for targeted advertising from the beginning, but they stopped in 2017. Still, with so many integrated services and a vast ad network, there are plenty other nefarious ways they can figure out what makes you tick.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Nov 10, 2021 7:48 pm 
Hell I get targeted ads any time I do a search on anything from single malt whiskey to door knobs from Amazon and google and who knows.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Nov 10, 2021 9:26 pm 
There's an idea that AI will become smarter than humans, and then create more AI that's even smarter than it, which in turn ... If that ever happens, the AIs will transform the moon and other planets into computers running AIs. They'll move out in all directions reforming all useable matter into computational AI. First the entire Milky Way galaxy will become conscious, then Andromeda; eventually the entire universe will be artificially intelligent. The universe will finally understand itself.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Nov 10, 2021 9:43 pm 
Maybe it already has doh.gif

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Nov 11, 2021 11:57 am 
For what it's worth, the guy who (took too much acid and) came up with that describes it in great detail. He isn't saying we're going to invent intelligence and consciousness from scratch, we're going to use fMRI imagery to literally build a silicone model of a brain. We're going to reverse engineer something that works, steal fire from heaven like Prometheus. In this vision of the future, AIs will cultivate spiritual experiences and make great art, because the way their minds work will be like ours. Lot of assumptions there, I don't buy it personally. If you want to read more, check out The Singularity is Near.

Tom
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Nov 12, 2021 2:25 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
It is well past the Turning test.
For anybody who doesn't know, the Turing Test says that if you can't tell whether you're talking to a human or a computer, you have to consider it sufficiently intelligent. If it understands well enough to follow and contribute to a conversation and "pass" as human, functionally it might as well be. I think computers won this round on a technicality. I've talked to people dumb and mentally disjointed enough that I didn't know for sure if it was a moron or a chat bot.

iron

iron
PostMon Nov 15, 2021 10:50 pm 
militaries are already using AI autonomous drones to decide and execute. i thought this movie was pretty depressing, and it's already outdated bigly.