Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What would you do?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostThu Sep 05, 2002 12:42 pm 
I have the opportunity to go down to New Zealand and work for Air New Zealand as a permanent employee and live in either Christchurch or Aukland. The problem is that they are offering only $80k to $100k/yr (note that translates to $40k to $50k/yr in USD) and the tax rate is 30% for 100k and the GST is 12.5% and I have a family of 6 (no tax breaks when you make over $75k). The obvious up side is that the country is beautiful and it's a great opportunity to see another part of the world as more than a temporary tourist. How would you choose between poor pay and a great country to hike in (tramping is extremely popular over there).

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dante

Dante
PostThu Sep 05, 2002 12:59 pm 
I'd investigate the cost of living in detail (housing, cars, groceries, etc.). If I could afford to live in or near the manner to shich I have become accustomed I would do it. I would also "forget" to convert that part of my salary history to USD when I came back wink.gif

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostThu Sep 05, 2002 1:35 pm 
Holy chit! I'd be on that like a bad smell. biggrin.gif That is one place I've always dreamed of visiting someday. Can you talk to someone who may have done something like this for your company previously? From that you could find out the pros and cons, as well as determining if you'll get any time off to actually enjoy the place! The hardest part will surely be uprooting your kids... good luck, it could be a great adventure!

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostThu Sep 05, 2002 5:25 pm 
Go for it! Spent considerable time there and you'd love it. Just about everything is less expensive there. Money goes farther. Beautiful country and nice people. Takes some getting used to because life is more laid back. You won't feel like an outcast. New Zealanders love Americans and the U.S. Air New Zealand is also a first-class operation. All the way around, I don't think you could go wrong! BW cool.gif

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Sep 05, 2002 7:13 pm 
That's a tough one. If it were just me I'd probably do it, but with six dependents you certainly have lots more to think about than the average person. Key questions you might want ask yourself and your family... What are your motivations for going? Is it a once in a lifetime opportunity? How much will you regret it if you don't go? What options will you have if it doesn't work out? If you go, how many years are you planning to live abroad? Will you be able to get the equivalent of your old job if/when you come back? What are your current job prospects? Obviously, if you think you may be be laid off soon you're risking less (then again you may be giving up severance). I wouldn't worry too much about the currency differential - those things have a way of working themselves out. I lived abroad for the first 10 years of my life growing up in the middle east. Can't say I'd trade that experience for anything. Well, maybe for hiking these neck of the woods since childhood like some of our esteemed members. biggrin.gif

catwoman

catwoman
PostThu Sep 05, 2002 8:23 pm 
Be careful on the "doing it for the children" part!!!! I say that with many exclamations because I was the victim of that in my highschool years and I still feel 2 years of my life was wasted (I'm 39 now). My father got a contract with the UN for 2 years over in Vienna, Austria when I was just entering highschool. My parents still think it was an awesome experience for me that I should feel fortunate for having. Hah! Couldn't have been a worse time for me. It was then that I started becoming one of the students the principal was looking to bust doing something wrong. I started smoking (finally quit when I was 26), among other things. Hopefully your family situation is different, but please make sure the whole family wants to go.

Erik the Nav

Erik the Nav
PostThu Sep 05, 2002 10:09 pm 
My brother did his senior year of HS as an exchange student in Christchurch, and had a great time. Plus, from the books I've looked at, the South Island has the greatest explorations to do. So I'd say, Christchurch. Or was your question about more than Christchurch vs. Auckland? I will say that on various visits (of theirs here, not mine there, I'm sorry to say) I've met both his host family and his best friend from school. If they're representative, great folks. Dave brought real Steinlager, not that nasty export crap. It's good. (hey, this is an important factor). I know I want to go visit. Certainly the opportunity bears the careful consideration you're clearly giving it. good luck!

Amos Gunn

Amos Gunn
PostThu Sep 05, 2002 10:28 pm 
Can you bring firearms there? If not, I'd stay home and pack heat in the National Parks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Timber Cruiser

Timber Cruiser
PostFri Sep 06, 2002 12:26 pm 
I spent some time down there a few years ago. The south island is definitely my choice since it is similar in weather and geography to the PNW. For a country that is "English" in culture it is very laid back. People were very friendly. Housing and food are very cheap. Anything imported though (like cars) are very expensive. For gun enthusiasts its open season on all game there year-round. The only native mammal is a bat, the others are exotics (read pests) and can be dispatched at any time by any means.

"Logging encourages the maintenance of foilage by providing economic alternatives to development."
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostThu Sep 19, 2002 7:30 am 
Thanks for all your input. I will be waiting for an offer from the company and then we, as a family, will make a decision. I have been talking to our guy here that works for ANZ and he's a wealth of info about the company and the country. I will demand a position in Christchurch because of my wife's acute allergies to mold of which there is copious amounts in Aukland due to the high humidity. They do allow guns into the country for sporting use only so I would probably bring mine, even though I'm more into woodworking and backpacking, oops tramping, than hunting. According to our kiwi I would probably be one of the highest earners in Christchurch even though I'd have to take about a 30% reduction in pay from what I make now so that tells you how little they make over there. There is much I have to consider and I do not take the decision lightly as it may turn out to be a long time before I come back (if at all). If any of you are interested I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostFri Oct 04, 2002 7:46 am 
I had my interview yesterday with a manager that flew up from Aukland. I think it went ok. He said I'd hear back from them in a month. From a couple of comments he made it sounds like I've got a good shot at getting an offer. Not many people want to travel to the middle of nowhere and take a job for less than they would make if they worked for Airbus or one of their subsidiaries. I had to make a deal with my oldest daughter to get her to change her, "I refuse to go" statement. If I buy her a Siberian husky pup and some CD's she's wanted then she'll go somewhat willingly. The rest of the kids are ambivalent. My five y.o. said,'We need to stay in Washington".

polarbear

polarbear
PostSat Oct 05, 2002 9:07 am 
I knew a family that where the dad worked for Boeing. He was transfered to Germany for 5 years I think. They kept their house in the U.S. and rented it out. I think Boeing might have footed a bit of the bill for them in Germany. It worked out pretty well. I don't believe they own a Siberian Husky at this point biggrin.gif What do houses cost in NZ?

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostSat Oct 05, 2002 3:10 pm 
A ~2000 sq ft home in an upscale neighborhood on .2 acre, less than 10 years old will be about 125,000 USD in Christchurch. Check this web site that is the equivalent of our MLS. http://www.realenz.co.nz/ I bet they did not have to bribe their family members to go either huh.gif My conclusion so far is that we would be able to live at a much higher standard of living or save a lot more money than we currently do. Plus how many places do you get to have this kind of scenery, outside of our own beautiful state?

polarbear

polarbear
PostSat Oct 05, 2002 4:30 pm 
Sounds like a reasonable price. I might have to move there myself. This looks nice. http://www.tnzip.co.nz/HTML%20stuff/regions/Canterbury/canterburyfiles/canterbury.htm

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostFri Nov 22, 2002 8:00 pm 
I got offered the job at Air New Zealand this week. I also had a call from Lockheed Martin interested in me but I don't think I am interested in living in Texas hurl.gif Because I have a job skill that is highly sought after and ANZ has an agreement with the gov't they can push through a work visa in only a week. I have not accepted the job yet. Still thinking about it and negotiating the salary, etc. Details to follow.