Forum Index > Trail Talk > USFS - Mt. Baker Snoqualmie FB posts
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Nov 11, 2021 5:53 pm 
Randito wrote:
I hope all the folk expressing negative feelings about hunting are vegans or at least vegetarians....
I am not vegetarian, but I don't think bobcat is a common or necessary food item.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Nov 11, 2021 6:07 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
I am not vegetarian, but I don't think bobcat is a common or necessary food item.
Beef and Chicken are common , but are they necessary? Strictly speaking hiking isn't a necessary activity. I don't hunt, but I respect most of the folks that do and recognize the importance that hunters have played in enacting such things as the Wilderness Act and the Endangered Species act and the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. Which I feel are important for ensuring that all the public lands in the PNW aren't all clear cuts and/or mines.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Nov 11, 2021 6:50 pm 
I like to eat elk. It's quite tasty.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Waterman
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Nov 11, 2021 8:19 pm 
It certainly seems odd for “land of many uses” how about pictures of logging and tree planting, hiking, climbing, skiing, mushroom hunting, water retention and hydropower, berry picking, and other activities in forests.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Nov 11, 2021 8:22 pm 
Randito wrote:
don't hunt, but I respect most of the folks that do and recognize the importance that hunters have played in enacting such things as the Wilderness Act and the Endangered Species act and the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. W
I know all that, I'm not a clueless idiot, and I am surprised you are trying the "ha-ha look at this" crap on me. Really. It's as if you've never read any of my posts over the years. rolleyes.gif Hunter participation in positive environmental laws does not lead to public approval that a disproportionately high number of photos of people holding onto dead, bleeding animals be posted on the agency social media pages. It's not a reasonable assumption, and the USFS would not do that. I am convinced it is a hack.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

Gil
snoqpass

snoqpass
PostFri Nov 12, 2021 4:30 am 
kw wrote:
I have a lot of respect for the military and for veterans, but is it that surprising that people who chose shooting a gun as their career choice like shooting animals in their free time?
You would be surprised at the number of people in the military who rarely touch firearms after boot camp, a pretty significant portion don't need to carry or use a gun for their MOS

Sculpin
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Nov 12, 2021 7:30 am 
My father was a sharpshooter in the Army. He saw combat in both Korea and Vietnam. And while he did keep his rifle until he died, he told me he had zero interest in ever firing it again and zero interest in hunting.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Nov 12, 2021 8:45 am 
It is well to note that the US ski industry was resurrected primarily by veterans from the 10th Mountain Division after WWII Resorts founded include Arapaho Basin, Aspen, Vail, Mammoth Mountain, etc. Notable members include Howard Head and Fred Beckey.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
HikingBex

HikingBex
PostFri Nov 12, 2021 10:28 am 
well I AM a vegetarian, thank goodness I'm here to tell you all definitively what is and isn't moral rant.gif it does look like none of the hunting-centric posts mentioned here are on the facebook page anymore - there are still some veteran appreciation posts up, but they're mostly fishing pictures. seems a bit weird all around...

Gil

Gil
PostFri Nov 12, 2021 10:33 am 
That looks like a hack or a rogue employee.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostFri Nov 12, 2021 10:43 am 
HikingBex wrote:
it does look like none of the hunting-centric posts mentioned here are on the facebook page anymore - there are still some veteran appreciation posts up, but they're mostly fishing pictures. seems a bit weird all around...
Yeah, it looks like they removed them. I emailed MBSNF yesterday and they responded this morning with nothing but a link to the Gifford Pinchot website. confused.gif

graffiti

graffiti
PostFri Nov 12, 2021 11:04 am 
Gil wrote:
That looks like a hack or a rogue employee.
I still suspect it was some bright idea by their Public Affairs team or their Social Media Manager to do this and they probably removed the hunting posts after all the complaints. It probably seemed a good idea at the time.

And the meek shall inherit the Earth...um...if that's ok with you.

zimmertr
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostFri Nov 12, 2021 11:05 am 
They’re still up on Twitter. Whoever posted effed up their hashtag “#RecreateResponsibility” lol.gif

camut

camut
PostFri Nov 12, 2021 11:22 am 
HikingBex wrote:
there are still some veteran appreciation posts up, but they're mostly fishing pictures. seems a bit weird all around...
Very weird. Even the picture of the halibut seems excessively gruesome to me . . . blood everywhere.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Nov 12, 2021 11:37 am 
graffiti wrote:
I still suspect it was some bright idea by their Public Affairs team or their Social Media Manager to do this and they probably removed the hunting posts after all the complaints. It probably seemed a good idea at the time.
If this ever seemed like a good idea at any time, somebody is very much in the wrong line of work.