Forum Index > Trail Talk > USFS - Mt. Baker Snoqualmie FB posts
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
graffiti

graffiti
PostFri Nov 12, 2021 12:44 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
If this ever seemed like a good idea at any time, somebody is very much in the wrong line of work.
A lot of "Social Media Managers" in government are just people that do something else for their agency and volunteered to run their media. I've seen it happen a lot. Not all of them by any means but a lot of them.

And the meek shall inherit the Earth...um...if that's ok with you.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostFri Nov 12, 2021 1:58 pm 
I tend not to think it was a hack, posting a series of hunting photos that reference names and veteran status seems a bit too on topic. A rogue employee seems more likely, particularly since the vaccine mandate deadline was Monday for federal employees. Someone on the way out the door anyway (won't be terminated until after 11/22) has nothing to lose but had social media account access and an axe to grind wants to get across a message with sub-text. And knew that other USFS staff would be offline since yesterday was a federal holiday so not likely to take it down immediately as might otherwise happen.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Nov 12, 2021 2:01 pm 
Someone upthread said the names on the photos didn't come up on the staff search (which is public). They would have had to have some mighty HR access to get veteran status, and I don't think that's even available at the Forest level.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostFri Nov 12, 2021 2:07 pm 
I received the following response from a USFS member: "Thank you very much for reaching out to us regarding the recent posts on social media. I want to personally apologize for the content featured on our page. While we don’t condone hunting on National Forest lands, we do understand the inappropriate nature of what was put out. The posts were done by a ‘very’ new intern who has since been instructed to clear any social media content with staff before posting. The majority of the posts were deleted and we want to once again offer our sincerest apologies." Edit: I think they meant condemn, not condone?

zimmertr
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Nov 12, 2021 2:11 pm 
Whoever it is, they are Legend now. Right up there with the infamous Auto Mechanic outreach.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Nov 12, 2021 2:22 pm 
Still seems fishy. A "very new intern" wouldn't have access to any staff records to get veteran status, and the outreach to ask for hunt-specific photos and veteran status of all MBS staff would have been noticed. As said upthread, if this is an intern or staff, they're in the wrong career, or any career - too dumb to think things through, apparently. No reasonable thinking person would have come up with this. Whatever it was, it is over now - except for on NWHikers. hmmm.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
graffiti

graffiti
PostFri Nov 12, 2021 2:42 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
A "very new intern" wouldn't have access to any staff records to get veteran status, and the outreach to ask for hunt-specific photos and veteran status of all MBS staff would have been noticed
Maybe. More than likely it was provided to them by a superior and one of two things happened. The superior didn't give proper/clear guidance on how to use that info and left it up to the creative intern or the superior knew exactly what they were doing, didn't really think it through and is blaming it on the scapego...erm..."intern". And then again maybe an "intern" didn't have anything to do with it at all and they just said that to save face. Pretty sure someone there was responsible for it (over it being a hack) but not convinced it happened the way they mentioned in their response.

And the meek shall inherit the Earth...um...if that's ok with you.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Nov 12, 2021 3:22 pm 
I'm with you; it didn't happen the way they say. Sure makes for good rainy day back-and-forthing though. up.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Nov 12, 2021 3:30 pm 
fourteen410 wrote:
I think they meant condemn, not condone?
I think what they meant was they don't condone by promoting it in the way it ultimately manifested yesterday which clearly was over the top.

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostFri Nov 12, 2021 6:41 pm 

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Nov 13, 2021 2:12 am 
I’ve caught Atlantic salmon, lake fishing on the Olympic National Forest. Same with golden trout on the Gifford Pinchot. Now I want to try catching halibut on the MBSNF. Any water recommendations? Or too much like the bear hunter who showed up here instead of doing his own scouting?

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSat Nov 13, 2021 6:12 am 
Eric wrote:
the vaccine mandate deadline was Monday for federal employees
Wins thread. clown.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Nov 13, 2021 7:12 am 
I ate the best smoked salmon ever, from a little store in Port Wing Wisconsin a couple months ago. I want to go back and get more. So good. It was most likely the farmed, Atlantic version. Whitefish was also available but I went for the salmon. I don't think there are any halibut to be had in Lake Superior, but maybe in the future? smile.gif Yummmmm.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Nov 13, 2021 11:13 am 
You wouldn't know any of those people were veterans of the word veteran wasn't printed next to their photo. The pictures sure don't say it.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostSat Nov 13, 2021 12:30 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
You wouldn't know any of those people were veterans of the word veteran wasn't printed next to their photo. The pictures sure don't say it.
What, exactly, does a veteran look like?