Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Flooding
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
half fast

half fast
PostTue Nov 16, 2021 8:52 am 
I took a walk downtown Mt. Vernon yesterday to check on the Skagit River...It's supposed to crest at 10:00 this morning. What have you seen?
Riverwalk Park Mount Vernon
Downton Mount Vernon protection - Riverwalk Park
Downton Mount Vernon protection - Riverwalk Park

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast

kite, HikingBex
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Nov 16, 2021 5:25 pm 
They dont call it the "Mighty Skagit" for nothing.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

Anne Elk, peppersteak'n'ale
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostWed Nov 17, 2021 2:47 am 
Shocking what happening a few miles north in B.C. CBC had an engineering professor say they might be able to get temporary bridges in place on the Coquihalla in a few months. I don’t understand how it’s possible unti/l winter is over. Of course everything used to go up and down the canyon, and further south Hwy 3 is a much better road than those days. But that’s back when the Okanagan was tiny sawmills and orchards.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
gb

gb
PostWed Nov 17, 2021 4:54 am 
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Nov 17, 2021 7:04 am 
Hmmm, will that mean more traffic down 97? Already there was a massive increase due to the snowbirds heading south in their behemoths. I haven't checked Camp Walmart lately. It's wasn't used much during the border closure. The OkanOgan river is running high and muddy. It isn't at any dangerous level. Lots of course woody debris and sediment flowing south. Saw something big floating down yesterday. Maybe an apple bin? Couch? We didn't get much precip here, so the runoff would be a Blame Canada effect. smile.gif I have friends up there, and last I heard, they had chest waders on and were moving their vehicles, again. Hope they are OK.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostWed Nov 17, 2021 8:20 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Hmmm, will that mean more traffic down 97? Already there was a massive increase due to the snowbirds heading south in their behemoths. I haven't checked Camp Walmart lately. It's wasn't used much during the border closure. The OkanOgan river is running high and muddy. It isn't at any dangerous level. Lots of course woody debris and sediment flowing south. Saw something big floating down yesterday. Maybe an apple bin? Couch? We didn't get much precip here, so the runoff would be a Blame Canada effect. smile.gif I have friends up there, and last I heard, they had chest waders on and were moving their vehicles, again. Hope they are OK.
TS, you’re showing off your local knowledge that: Ogopogo lives in Lake Okanagan, a part of the Okanagan River. The Okanogan River flows through Okanogan County. The river doesn’t care about spelling. It was here before humans, it will outlast us. Hope is isolated as well with a couple thousand extra souls trapped in town. I wonder if the Province will push the federal government to revise Canadian Covid-19 testing testing requirements to cross the border. They got along without the Coquihalla before. Kamloops population was 40k, and the total population of Kelowna, Penticton, and Vernon was about 50K. Not anymore.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Nov 17, 2021 1:09 pm 
I'd no idea BC was hit that hard. What happened there and in Skagit/Whatcom counties is reminiscent of that huge flood in the south counties back in - what, 2006? - when parts of I-5 were underwater. I have pics from the Times saved somewhere, will post if I can find 'em For the Coquihalla to be taken out is huge. That was built as the safer, faster, alternative route to the TransCanada (Hwy 1) through the Fraser Canyon, which always terrified me b/c the semi trucks and loggers would just barrel through it, and ride your bumper. Looks like it will be the main route again for some time, unless it got wiped out somewhere also. Haven't heard.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Nov 17, 2021 1:25 pm 
The spelling difference has always amused me. I am easily amused. Now, the east side of BC got hammered as well. My friends live in the Princeton area. The Tulameen River was not behaving and the Similkameen was quite high. The Similkameen crosses into OkanOgan county (maybe we should always use the upper case O?) at the big community of Nighthawk where there is also a border crossing place, and flows into the OkanOgan River near Oroville. The town of Princeton was evacuated mainly because they had to turn off their water supply and part of the town had water coming up into it. I've not been down to look at the river today. Maybe this afternoon. Now, should the Canadians use an upper case A? As in OkanAgan? smile.gif
That's the Similkameen going over the infamous Enloe Dam on a day of good behavior. I sometimes say Similkameen when I want to say Sinlahekin.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Nov 17, 2021 1:56 pm 
There's a picture of Princeton in this. https://www.gofundme.com/f/princeton-flood-fund

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Nov 17, 2021 2:11 pm 
There were a lot of terrible floods this year.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostWed Nov 17, 2021 7:07 pm 
AE, Trans-Canada 1 down the canyon was way over capacity. Largely relieved by the Coquihalla. Not much done since then except repaving. Hwy 3 has had this and that done over the years to continue to improve it. I think TS is right, Hwy 97 traffic will go up. Maybe a lot.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Nov 17, 2021 7:16 pm 
Driving up the Fraser Canyon with a canoe on a roof rack was more thrilling than most class 4 whitewater descents.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

Anne Elk
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Nov 17, 2021 7:17 pm 
Pyrites wrote:
AE, Trans-Canada 1 down the canyon was way over capacity. Largely relieved by the Coquihalla. Not much done since then except repaving. Hwy 3 has had this and that done over the years to continue to improve it. I think TS is right, Hwy 97 traffic will go up. Maybe a lot.
I do wonder if the powers that be would make truck drivers pass a Covid test to re-enter Canada after a detour. It could be spendy, unless the Canadian Health plan pays for it. Heard that a same day results test costs $140.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostWed Nov 17, 2021 8:23 pm 
I’ve talked with Canadians from Calgary who in normal times drive I-90 to go to Vancouver.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Nov 17, 2021 8:35 pm 
Here's some helicopter overflight footage of the flooding in the Abbotsford area. ~z Twitter video link (The sound is off.)

Cyclopath