Forum Index > Trip Reports > My very rainy hike to Ashland Lakes 28NOV2021
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon
PostMon Nov 29, 2021 2:25 pm 
Rough road to get there, and it is a Short hike, almost always kinda soggy. Don't let the rain stop you from enjoying outdoor activities. But it did rain a lot on this 7+ mile hike I did yesterday. I brought my fishing gear since I am trying to learn how to fish, but it was really to flooded, muddy, and windy. I gave up after 20 minutes. I am a quitter! Also, I recently got a GoPro and am trying to figure it out as well. Check it out. Feel Free to roast me. LOL One of the wettest hikes I have ever done. Still fun though!

Brucester, JimK
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Nov 29, 2021 3:40 pm 
Next time, hopefully during better weather, continue on to lower twin falls lake, very cool place. You can still see remnants of an established campground there from years gone by. If I recall correctly, one could actually drive all the way there from the west via Williamson creek road. Lower Ashland also used to be good fishing about 5-7 years ago, now the lake level has risen and there is a lot of algae and such. I think the change has been caused by beaver activity, which there obviously is. Time to call in Bill and Rodney!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon
PostMon Nov 29, 2021 3:45 pm 
I have been to Twin Falls many times. They have actually improved a few of the campsites there with wooden platforms for your tent.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Nov 29, 2021 4:25 pm 
Twin falls. Sadly I never got any pics of the lower falls. [img:x8d5f]IMG_0916.JPG 🌘[❌] =

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Nov 29, 2021 5:01 pm 
I wonder if they ever fixed the collapsed bridge on the side of the cliff-ravine a little way prior to Twin Falls lake?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon
PostMon Nov 29, 2021 7:44 pm 
No, they have not. It is fun to try and go around smile.gif

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Nov 29, 2021 8:18 pm 
I don't think they are planning on repairing the trail past Ashland Lakes. There's a really nasty but awesome slick bald at the top of the falls that would be an attractive nuisance to people that don't have any damn sense. Repairing the trail would be mainlining victims to SAR, and SAR is already bending under the weight of idiocy. Repair of that trail was considered but the idea jettisoned during an assessment of Natural Area projects several years ago. I doubt it will come up again.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Nov 29, 2021 8:27 pm 
Wow I haven't ever seen the boardwalk completely submerged! Not that I have vast experience on that trail, but still....looks like the pooches had a great time. Is the road as horrible as they say? ( I don't know who "they" are, but I have read about it several times)

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Nov 29, 2021 9:32 pm 
Yes, the road is horrible for sure. I remember the first time I went there and went to the spot over-looking the lower falls, and there was a sign denoting the hazardous cliff that is not easily visible. Not sure if the sign is still there, but I agree that SAR has enough issues and the trail passed lower Ashland is not super easy to follow, so for sure best left as is so that only us "experts" are likely to venture there.

Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon
PostTue Nov 30, 2021 10:10 am 
When you get about 1/4 mile from Twin Falls, there is a large tree down across the trail. you have to climb over it. But it is at a steep angle and all the bark is gone. Very smooth and slippery. I hate that thing. I finally hiked up there with a hatchet and made some foot and hand holds. You are welcome smile.gif

Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostWed Dec 01, 2021 5:08 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Is the road as horrible as they say?
Yes. There's one pot hole that so large that the water in it has white caps. And that's no lie.

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Dec 01, 2021 5:44 pm 
They obviously spent a ton of money on Ashland lakes, they installed at least 3 nice, composting outhouses, tent platforms, and all new steel fire pits, yet they don't care at all about the road? Mt. Pilchuck road is in similar condition, it's so bad prior to the Heather lake TH that you literally have to crawl-idle your rig to keep from causing damage and bottoming out. Those two roads are so bad that it was brutal even on my dual sport motorcycle. Good thing that I don't pay for TH passes or I would really have reason to complain. wink.gif

Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon
PostWed Dec 01, 2021 7:21 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
They obviously spent a ton of money on Ashland lakes, they installed at least 3 nice, composting outhouses, tent platforms, and all new steel fire pits, yet they don't care at all about the road? Mt. Pilchuck road is in similar condition, it's so bad prior to the Heather lake TH that you literally have to crawl-idle your rig to keep from causing damage and bottoming out. Those two roads are so bad that it was brutal even on my dual sport motorcycle. Good thing that I don't pay tor TH passes or I would really have reason to complain. wink.gif
They really have done nice improvements to the campsites It does not require many words to speak the truth. wink.gif

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Dec 02, 2021 2:12 am 
Flash- the video really captures the “mood”. Reminds me of a hike I did to Barclay Lake the day after Thanksgiving many moons ago. It was raining almost as heavily, colder, and we didn’t see anyone else. The good old days.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Dec 02, 2021 9:31 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
They obviously spent a ton of money on Ashland lakes, they installed at least 3 nice, composting outhouses, tent platforms, and all new steel fire pits, yet they don't care at all about the road? Mt. Pilchuck road is in similar condition, it's so bad prior to the Heather lake TH that you literally have to crawl-idle your rig to keep from causing damage and bottoming out. Those two roads are so bad that it was brutal even on my dual sport motorcycle. Good thing that I don't pay for TH passes or I would really have reason to complain. wink.gif
So far as I know the Discover Pass isn't for road maintenance either (the NWFP isn't); even if it were - the road is Forest Service; Ashland Lakes (and the trail head) is DNR Natural Area land. And it's not loggable. So unless USFS is going to log somewhere up there, there's no incentive - or money - to work the road. Boardman Lake isn't a giant hub of activity (though I love that trail - the fungus is incredible up there). I do hope they get it fixed; the old growth there is stupendous. As Flash Gordon says, they did do a lot of relatively recent work on the campsites and trail (big log bridge at the beginning). I don't know why they replaced old slick boards with new slick boards. It's like walking on a laminate kitchen counter after an earthquake during monsoon season. Anyway, originally the Twin Falls lake was very well campsited, and even an informational sign about the unique geology of the area, but that's a bit ragged now, as they can't get to it for maintenance.