Forum Index > Trip Reports > tanner/escalante/new hance + little colorado confluence, gcnp 11.25 - 11.29.21
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostMon Dec 06, 2021 6:13 pm 
On Thanksgiving morning Julia and I met at the Grand Canyon for the second time this year. Back in early May we met on the north rim for 5 days on the Thunder River-Deer Creek loop. (Since John Morrow had just reported on this route, I didn’t post it.) This time we met on the south rim for a 5-day loop on the Tanner trail, Escalante Route, and New Hance Trail, with a side trip to the confluence of the Colorado & Little Colorado Rivers. Luckily we were able to get permits just a couple weeks in advance, in spite of some faxing mishaps. The whole thing was completely spectacular. And Julia is a canyon fanatic, so she peppered me with interesting tidbits about routes and side canyons and geology and history along the way. *Day 1 Lipan point to Palisades Beach camp* After stashing a car near the New Hance trail, we dropped into the canyon on the Tanner trail from Lipan point. It was nearly freezing on the south rim and we were happy to get out of the wind. The wind died down some and temperatures went up as we descended on the Tanner trail. We passed just a handful of folks on the trail and at Tanner rapids camp. After a break, we continued upstream on the Beamer trail for another 3 miles to Palisades creek, passing a couple other creeks with campsites (all empty) along the way... I took a wrong turn onto a blocked off trail and led us up to an eroded goat trail along cliffs above the river (noticed the rocks blocking the trail on the way back). We had the whole Palisades area to ourselves and camped on the beach, which offered the only wind protection. I had dehydrated a whole thanksgiving dinner for this trip (turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, gravy, cranberry sauce) which I rehydrated and then promptly flipped upside down on the beach. Mmmm, sand. At least the pumpkin pie was unscathed. The wine and sound of the rapids totally knocked us out - we were asleep by 8pm.
tanner trail views
tanner trail views
tanner trail views
tanner trail views
julia on the beamer
julia on the beamer
beamer trail views downstream
beamer trail views downstream
julia on the goat trail above the beamer trail - oops
julia on the goat trail above the beamer trail - oops
on the beamer trail, near espejo or comanche creek
on the beamer trail, near espejo or comanche creek
dehydrated thanksgiving
dehydrated thanksgiving
*Day 2 Palisades to LCR confluence* From Tanner beach to Palisades, the canyon is wide open. From Palisades to the Little Colorado River, it's narrow and winding. The Beamer trail climbs a few hundred feet and then follows cliffs above the river and into many small, scrambly side canyons. It is incredibly photogenic, and took us 5 hours to go 5.5 miles. You can see the milky blue waters of the LCR mixing into the green Colorado before you actually see the LCR. What a crazy sight. We attempted to cross the LCR to get to sunny ledges on the opposite side but couldn't find a way. The bottom was thick white quicksand muck. Also it turns out you're not allowed to cross at the confluence, I learned later. We wandered around for a long time, soaking in the scenery and taking tons of photos. After a couple hours we started to head out and ran straight into a woman from Seattle who we'd met on YAB in September. Small world! Camping is not permitted within 1/2 mile of the confluence so we hiked back to a beach we'd passed along the way. It took us a while to figure out how to fit our 2 tents into the biggest campsite there, but we managed! For some reason, my calves were in excruciating pain all day so I spent a good hour rolling them on a nalgene (ouch) and stretching. I am not sure what caused this - usually tons of downhill like we did on day 1 makes my quads tight but not calves. This was new and unpleasant. Once again we were lulled to sleep early by the sounds of the Colorado.
view downstream from palisades beach
view downstream from palisades beach
beamer trail continues up the fan on the left and around the cliff
beamer trail continues up the fan on the left and around the cliff
beamer trail views upstream
beamer trail views upstream
julia on the beamer trail, looking downstream
julia on the beamer trail, looking downstream
julia on the beamer
julia on the beamer
julia on the beamer
julia on the beamer
confluence ahead
confluence ahead
LCR confluence
LCR confluence
LCR upstream view
LCR upstream view
LCR confluence
LCR confluence
LCR upstream view + julia
LCR
LCR
LCR confluence
LCR confluence
leaving the confluence
leaving the confluence
*Day 3 Confluence to Cardenas creek* We hiked back on the Beamer trail to Palisades, making better time. But not much better - the light was different so we still had to take many photos! After lunch at Palisades beach, we hiked back to Tanner and then continued on the Escalante route to Cardenas creek. At Cardenas, Julia jumped in the river and then watered some trees that were planted as part of a revegetation project, while I ran around taking photos. There are many, many campsites at Cardenas (10+), and we tried out every single one before deciding to camp on the beach. We managed to stay up (slightly) past 8pm by doing some stargazing. I repeated my stretching and rolling routine before passing out.
chuar butte
chuar butte
temple butte + rapids reflection
temple butte + rapids reflection
morning view upstream to chuar butte
morning view upstream to chuar butte
temple butte + moon
temple butte + moon
beamer trail side canyon
beamer trail side canyon
beamer trail
beamer trail
julia on a high section of the beamer
julia on a high section of the beamer
back on the goat trail
back on the goat trail
beamer trail view
beamer trail view
basalt cliffs and apollo temple from cardenas beach
basalt cliffs and apollo temple from cardenas beach
*Day 4 Cardenas to Hance rapids* This was the best day of the trip. For one thing, I woke up with no calf pain! And then we had nonstop views all day! From Cardenas, we climbed up to a ruin on a hill above the camp ("hilltop ruin"). We continued climbing gradually, along cliffs above the Unkar delta, to the ridge above Escalante creek. Then we dropped down to the mouth of Escalante creek, passing through a pretty narrow-ish section of canyon before following a trail to the creek bed. Escalante creek was one of my requested campsites that we unfortunately couldn’t get a permit for, and it is gorgeous, with a little cove and a big beach.
morning views on the escalante route
hilltop ruin + upstream view
hilltop ruin + upstream view
julia on the escalante route
unkar delta + apollo temple
unkar delta + apollo temple
unkar rapid
unkar rapid
apollo temple + unkar delta
apollo temple + unkar delta
looking upstream at unkar delta from escalante route
looking upstream at unkar delta from escalante route
escalante canyon
escalante canyon
escalante beach
escalante beach
After lunch and an extended break, we continued heading west. First we climbed up to cliffs above the river, which we followed on broad rock ledges. Then the trail made a sharp left to follow 75 mile canyon. 75 mile is a big, deep, narrow side canyon and the views into it from above are awesome. After a half mile or so, we scrambled down into the canyon and took our sweet time meandering back to the river. The trail followed slopes above the river for awhile and then dropped to Papago beach, where we turned left and scrambled up the 50' Papago wall. I have read that the wall is class 4, but I'd say class 3. We found it pretty easy - it took roughly a minute and a half to climb. Julia and I also have relatively light packs, which probably makes a big difference. After the wall, the trail climbs to the top of the Papago slide, a huge, unstable talus field that seems to be held in place by one large boulder. This part was terrifying, but over quickly. Once we skedaddled off the slide, it was only about a 1/2 mile to our camp at Hance rapids. We found some nice, but loud, spots directly above the massive and scary rapids. Getting water from the river here was a little challenging! Lots of shooting stars on this night. I think we made it all the way to 9pm before hitting the tents.
75 mile canyon
75 mile canyon
julia checking out 75 mile canyon
julia checking out 75 mile canyon
go down here
go down here
75 mile canyon
75 mile canyon
75 mile canyon
75 mile canyon
75 mile canyon
75 mile canyon
looking downstream on the escalante route
looking downstream on the escalante route
looking upstream on the escalante route
looking upstream on the escalante route
climbing the papago wall
climbing the papago wall
looking down the papago slide of death
looking down the papago slide of death
looking back up the papago slide of death
looking back up the papago slide of death
*Day 5 Hance rapids to rim* The New hance trail climbs up to the rim through Red canyon, which is so gorgeous. Pretty much the entire climb was in shade (thankfully!!), but I would love to see this canyon in the sun. At least we got a glimpse of the bright orange Hakatai shale all lit up below us as we climbed - wow! We found a seasonal spring near where the trail leaves the creek bed, and saw more trickles higher up in Red canyon. This canyon is high on the list for future explorations. The new hance trail is several miles shorter than other routes between river and rim and climbs steadily once it leaves the canyon floor, but it didn't feel any steeper to me. In only a few hours we were back at the rental car, and then back at lipan point where we could see most of the route laid out before us.
?, sheba temple, solomon temple from hance rapids camp
?, sheba temple, solomon temple from hance rapids camp
morning in red canyon
morning in red canyon
morning in red canyon
morning in red canyon
climbing on the new hance trail
pretty side canyon
pretty side canyon
new hance trail view
new hance trail view
hakatai shale
hakatai shale
75 mile canyon from lipan point
75 mile canyon from lipan point
ridge above escalante ck (left) to cardenas area (right) from lipan point. unkar delta center
ridge above escalante ck (left) to cardenas area (right) from lipan point. unkar delta center
view looking upstream from tanner to palisades and beyond from lipan point, escalante butte & cardenas butte in the middle
view looking upstream from tanner to palisades and beyond from lipan point, escalante butte & cardenas butte in the middle
This was a really incredible trip with amazing scenery, great company, glorious weather, no crowds… possibly the start of a new thanksgiving tradition! Thanks to nickmtn for suggesting it a few years back! Overall stats: about 45 miles and 14,500' of elevation gain. A lot more photos here.

Prosit, RAW-dad, jaysway, raising3hikers, reststep, Gabep, Sculpin, RichP, puzzlr, half fast, Hesman  Lindsay, kite  Walkin' Fool, awilsondc
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Dec 06, 2021 9:35 pm 
rubywrangler wrote:
LCR upstream view
LCR upstream view
Great trip and photos. So sorry about your Thanksgiving dinner mishap. You had gone to a lot of trouble to prepare and then transport it. Re: the photo above. Normally I am not a fan of turbid water. But something about this particular batch is interesting and even inviting. Maybe it's the combo of the turquoise water and the white sand framed by the orangey sandstone and blue sky. It's beautiful. ~z

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Dec 06, 2021 11:57 pm 
What a wonderful trip! Thanks for the write-up and so many gorgeous and alluring photos. What a great idea to dehydrate your Thanksgiving dinner, despite the spill a unique and memorable way to celebrate the day. smile.gif

geyer

geyer
PostTue Dec 07, 2021 9:12 am 
rubywrangler wrote:
eek.gif Holy moly! I didn't realize rivers like that were a thing in Arizona I bet your sandy dehydrated thanksgiving dinner still tasted better than canned chef boyardee mac n cheese which was unfortunately my meal of choice...

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostTue Dec 07, 2021 9:52 am 
Thanks Megan, great report and pictures. "possibly the start of a new thanksgiving tradition!" I hear ya. Back in the day friends and I would have an annual reunion trip there at Thanksgiving (hiking in to Cottonwood CG). It was a great tradition.

Off trail rambler
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Dec 07, 2021 10:18 am 
cool on the preparations for Thanksgiving! Does anybody know if they are still planning on building a gondola down to the Havasu Canyon? I guess they wanted it to the Little Colorado....

Art is an adventure.
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostTue Dec 07, 2021 11:55 am 
Stefan, hi, I think it is dead for now. See https://www.grandcanyontrust.org/stopping-grand-canyon-escalade Unfortunately, this kind of project proposal often has a way of reviving.

Off trail rambler
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Dec 07, 2021 1:05 pm 
Eric Hansen wrote:
Stefan, hi, I think it is dead for now. See https://www.grandcanyontrust.org/stopping-grand-canyon-escalade Unfortunately, this kind of project proposal often has a way of reviving.
That is positive note to hear! Great pictures Rubywrangler!

Art is an adventure.
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostTue Dec 07, 2021 6:16 pm 
Thanks, everybody! I was able to salvage the thanksgiving dinner. It just had a little extra crunch toothbrush.gif

jaysway

jaysway
PostWed Dec 08, 2021 1:15 pm 
What a great trip and beautiful photos! Added to the bucket list smile.gif .

nickmtn

nickmtn
PostWed Dec 08, 2021 3:34 pm 
Awesome! Thanks for the shout out wrangler - so glad you did this one. That Papago death slide is still one of the sketchiest boulder fields I have ever been on. I remember being all hyped up for the wall (which ended up being trivial) but totally terrified of the slide - which the route description did not mention what so ever. I did the route in the opposite direction - doesn't sound like it makes too much difference. How about all that crazy yellow and purple rock in 75 mile canyon??

Gil

Gil
PostFri Dec 10, 2021 6:29 pm 
Cool trip! Our kids did a trip into the canyon a couple of years ago over Thanksgiving, eventually crossing the river four times, twice by packraft. Our daughter will be the park's artist in residence next fall.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini

rubywrangler