Forum Index > Trip Reports > Weavers Needle ~ Superstition Mountains, AZ ~ 11/6/21
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostFri Dec 10, 2021 10:33 am 
After Josh and I climbed Moapa on Sunday, we made the long drive down through Vegas, into Arizona, and eventually through Phoenix to the Superstition Mountains where we would meet my old friend Adam Walker at the trailhead. The notorious early bird made Josh and I wake up at 5am for a prompt 5:30 departure. It had been too long since I had woken up to Adams voice in the predawn hours! We'd figured out that Weavers is best climbed from the east but best descended to the west, so we decided on doing the peak as a loop. We followed nice trail from the Peralta Canyon TH up Barks Canyon and eventually Bluff Saddle in the predawn twilight. Watching the alpenglow light up Weavers was a sight to be had.
first light in the Arizona desert
first light in the Arizona desert
Weavers first look
Weavers first look
excellent
excellent
Shortly after hiking over Bluff Saddle, we took a lengthy break, then left the trail, cutting cross country towards our peak. We climbed up chossy terrain and talus, aiming for a notch between the south and main peaks. After a short stretch of scrambling, we found ourselves at the base of 5th class terrain and harnessed up.
aiming for the notch
aiming for the notch
desert layers
desert layers
I lead the pitch of low 5th, having to climb 40 feet up until finding any decent pro. The climbing was airy but the rock was fairly solid. Eventually, I came to a hardy little tree that seemed like a decent belay and brought Josh and Adam up. From here, it looked like scramble terrain to the notch so we packed the rope up and continued on. Another short step or two of unexposed 4th/low 5th brought us to the notch separating the south and main peaks.
Gimpilator in his element
Gimpilator in his element
a tricky spot
a tricky spot
Josh
Josh
From the notch, we enjoyed an amazing 3rd and 4th class scramble on solid rock 400 feet to the summit. One of the best scrambles I have done in a long time. We were all giddy with stoke at how amazing this route was.
Adam climbing out of the notch
Adam climbing out of the notch
good stuff
good stuff
nearing the summit
nearing the summit
As we neared the summit, we came to a spicy section of very exposed 4th class up more great rock. It almost felt like a ladder. The terrain then eased to class 2 and we were on the summit around 10am. We were all very thankful that we decided to team up for this peak.
Superstition Benchmark from Weavers
Superstition Benchmark from Weavers
summit lizard
summit lizard
desert views
desert views
register entry
register entry
summitshot
summitshot
We took a long break, enjoying t-shirt weather on the summit. Weavers was my 10th Desert Peaks Section (DPS) peak and Adam's 93rd! We made one rappel just below the summit, then scrambled everything else down to the notch.
Adam on rappel
Adam on rappel
Josh on rappel
Josh on rappel
downclimbing
downclimbing
Getting back to the notch, Adam rigged up a long rappel with our 60m rope and a tow line. It was fun to descent a different way than we had come up. 2 raps and we were down to scramble terrain.
rigging the rap
rigging the rap
Josh on rappel
Josh on rappel
walls of Weavers
walls of Weavers
looking back
looking back
We made quick time down to the trail which we took up the East Boulder Canyon to Fremont Saddle. It was a hot afternoon in the desert, felt like summer in Washington.
cool desert rocks
cool desert rocks
a saguaro with Weavers
a saguaro with Weavers
a different perspective
a different perspective
From Fremont Saddle, we enjoyed a few more miles of pleasant trail down Peralta Canyon and back to the trailhead, arriving around 3pm. Cold beer was waiting for us in the cooler. cool.gif
Peralta Canyon
Peralta Canyon
~10.5 miles ~3000 gain ~9 hours

Gimpilator, belowfellow, rubywrangler, ONELUV1, RichP, fffej50
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Dec 10, 2021 10:32 pm 
Great video -- you did a good job of capturing the scramble. I watched it before I read the report and thought "that looks like fun!" -- and it was. I used to hike in the Superstitions when my mom lived in Phoenix. I always eyed Weavers Needle wondering how hard it was to climb. If I had access to a partner down there and could look into the future to see your video I might have gone for it. But I did get up to nearby Superstition Peak and saw the Needle from the way up there.
Gateway cairns frame Weavers Needle
Gateway cairns frame Weavers Needle

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Dec 11, 2021 1:11 am 
Nice. I hiked that trail to a an overlook just south of the needle about 7 years ago while visiting a friend in Mesa.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostSun Dec 12, 2021 10:06 pm 
Had a wonderful day climbing with you guys. Come back and let's do another. smile.gif