Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Older gear catalog
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Skookum Bill

Skookum Bill
PostThu Jan 13, 2022 7:35 pm 
Here is an outdoor catalog with a sampler of products I recall from my camping days with the Boy Scouts in the late 1950's. The Smilie Company was based in San Francisco.

Schroder, hikerbiker, JimK
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
snoqpass

snoqpass
PostThu Jan 13, 2022 10:53 pm 
Do you have a page that shows Coleman lanterns? I have a couple older ones and I'm curious what they were selling for then
L-R: 1948 228D, 1965 220F, 1962 200A all three are 100% functional

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostFri Jan 14, 2022 12:24 pm 
Wow that last photo sure brings back memories... My father had a lot of admirable qualities but was like a bull in a china shop with anything mechanical (he used to claim I passed his abilities at age 5) and I remember spending hours watching him pump our old Coleman white gas lanterns and try to start it. We went through mantles like crazy because he was so rough with the lanterns after getting frustrated they would break. We had more than a few scary moments lighting the stove! I never thought of it before but I guess his father (who could build anything) just didn't have the time or inclination to teach him. The boxes in the background are great too. Dad dispatched the longshoreman crews so we had numerous box-joint wooden boxes like that with "Nitro-Glycerin" painted on the sides. Thanks for posting...

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Jan 14, 2022 12:37 pm 
My first backpacking stove was that Model 500 Sportmaster. Carrying all that stuff was why we carefully planned our base camps fairly low on the mountains.

Dick B

Dick B
PostFri Jan 14, 2022 1:42 pm 
My older brother was a scout for a while and my folks out fitted him with a lot of gear. I remember his sleeping bag. I got to use it a few times, which was no big plus. I recall it being very thin cotton, and rather than a zipper down the side it had snaps. Every time you turned over it would suck in cold air. As kids we would camp on the beach during the summer. the bag would also allow sand to drift in. I might as well had just slept on the sand with a blanket over me. When growing up, the gas lanterns were a household standby along with kerosene lamps. They were our source of light when the power would go out on South Whidbey. This was a regular occurrence after a big windstorm. The lanterns were also used to go out on a minus tide at night and pick up crabs. Along with the lantern was a wash tub and a pitchfork. The lantern to spot, the pitchfork to pick up and the tub to carry the crabs. I also got to see my uncle use dynamite. He bought a "stump ranch" and needed to clear it for strawberries. I remember the stumps being huge. Big enough for springboard holes. Pretty exciting to a little kid to watch those babies blow!

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostMon Jan 24, 2022 9:33 pm 
As long as we are playing Antiques Roadshow here is my lantern: This came from my FIL and I don't know much about it other than it has no glass shielding - just a flimsy transparent material. Anybody know anything about this design?

David

David
PostMon Jan 24, 2022 11:21 pm 
Does it work? Looks like a clean mantle in there, so suspect it works. Design wise it looks similar to the general old white gas pump stoves/lanterns. Perhaps an old Coleman? Just saw the pics of the older Coleman lanterns, above. Are there any markings on it?

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostTue Jan 25, 2022 12:04 am 
I don't know for sure but I suspect it works (FIL is one of those guys who can't stand to have anything not work). I didn't find any marking but I believe it is Coleman. It is similar to the old gas lanterns I am familiar with but it looks like an early model because of the multiple fill/pump access points, the plastic? like glazing, and the complicated tube arrangement inside. I should pull off some of the access covers and look for markings. There are no markings on the bottom or anywhere in plain view.

Waterman

Waterman
PostFri Jan 28, 2022 8:04 am 
Look on the bottom for 2 digits which indicate year of manufacture. I would guess mid 50's Does it have a " rising sun" logo along outside of tank.http://oldcolmanparts.com Above is a link for colman parts. Pretty easy to fix these things.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
David

David
PostFri Jan 28, 2022 10:17 am 
Note: that url is bad. Not sure what it links to, but I shut the tab down as it started to redirect to multiple pages. It should be oldcolemanparts for com.

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostFri Jan 28, 2022 11:14 am 
Reminds me of the old Campmor catalog we used to pour over as kids.

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostFri Jan 28, 2022 4:01 pm 
Waterman wrote:
Look on the bottom for 2 digits which indicate year of manufacture. I would guess mid 50's Does it have a " rising sun" logo along outside of tank.http://oldcolmanparts.com Above is a link for colman parts. Pretty easy to fix these things.
Absolutely no markings on the bottom at all but on the front of the tank directly under the fill port I found an engraved graphic that looks like a rising run and the following text: Coleman Quick-Lite TRADE MARK THE SUNSHINE OF THE NIGHT Then directly underneath that there are two digits that look stamped to me: 9 1 This one looks exactly the same as the one pictured in this link and called: 1928 COLEMAN LANTERN MODEL #220 SLANT GENERATOR W/ COLEMAN RED LETTERED GLOBE https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1928-coleman-lantern-model-220-slant-404338795 The only exception I can find (except for the fact that mine is not all polished up and has rust on the enameled areas) is the cylindrical glazing in mine is not glass. I think it is mica panels with a thin frame around it. I did a bit more research and this looks to me like it matches a model #220 dated Jan 1929. The shape and tubing mechanism matches the model #220 and the single digit dates were year month for the lanterns built in the 20s. Original globes for these were mica.