Forum Index > Gear Talk > Osprey Packs Sold
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Dec 12, 2021 1:56 pm 
"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSun Dec 12, 2021 5:15 pm 
{sigh} Sold for $414 million!

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Dec 12, 2021 5:16 pm 
One hopes Osprey’s remarkable customer service doesn’t take a hit.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!

InFlight
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSun Dec 12, 2021 5:22 pm 
Pyrites wrote:
Yeah, like when I lost my rain cover (entirely my fault) and they sent me a new one for free!

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Dec 12, 2021 7:38 pm 
Yeah, another one bites the dust! The Gaia GPS app also got gobbled up by Pocket Media this year. Luckily I have several Osprey packs that will probably last me till I can no longer hike. And there are a lot of good alternatives out there. Same with Gaia GPS, there are other good mapping and navigation apps and some exciting stuff on the technical horizon.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Dec 12, 2021 8:24 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
The Gaia GPS app also got gobbled up by Pocket Media this year.
GaiaGPS recently released a new "Winter Layer" that shows various ski routes as an overlay as well as the existing slope angle overlay and a NOAA weather forecast overlay-- seems they aren't just sitting back. Of course If GaiaGPS starts popping up ads for a 2:1 beer special at the Snorting Elk as I'm returning from Silver Basin -- I might have some mixed feelings

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Dec 12, 2021 8:31 pm 
Pyrites wrote:
I didn't know they had good service, I've never had to use it. But they make the most comfortable packs I've ever used and I hear that from a lot of people. Really hope they keep doing things right.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Dec 12, 2021 8:40 pm 
I ended with a hole in mine. Current models at REI didn’t exactly match old one. Phoned to discuss current models. Person says, mail it for repair. OK. Phone call in four or five days. Not repairable, which model do you want us to replace it with? Has that one about two years until car broken into at 24 Hour Fitness.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Dec 12, 2021 8:55 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
Luckily I have several Osprey packs that will probably last me till I can no longer hike. And there are a lot of good alternatives out there.
Packs are funny. The best advice ever is to load up and try a pack before you buy it. I bought a Gregory Baltoro 70 L pack and I like it pretty well, but not great. Then I bought a Z-55 3 years ago, wasn't super impressed and sold it. Then a friend came up with an old REI 50L pack and it's fits me like a glove and is virtually bombproof. 30 bucks.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostWed Dec 15, 2021 8:11 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
But they make the most comfortable packs I've ever used and I hear that from a lot of people.
I must be in the minority. Years ago I bought an Osprey pack for day hikes on their reputation of being a good pack. After wearing the pack I bought for awhile I discovered that it was a very uncomfortable pack. I could never get it to equally distribute weight between my waist and shoulders like previous packs I owned that weren’t the Osprey brand. I could only get the weight of the pack to ride on either entirely on my shoulders, causing my shoulders to ache for days afterwards, or entirely on my hips causing the shoulder straps to flop around on my shoulders. I did discover that if I carried less than 10 pounds of weight, it was mostly comfortable; and that was pretty much just water and lunch, no 10 essentials.

If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. - Lincoln
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Dec 15, 2021 12:06 pm 
My first daypack was an Osprey Talon 22 and I will admit I wore it happily for years. But then I started doing more running and I purchased a Salomon ADV Skin 12 vest and the difference in comfort is night and day. I recently bought a Gregory Zulu 30 for longer day trips. I specifically like how much more spacious it is than the Osprey pack. But also that it has a trampoline suspension system which keeps it from chafing my lower back. Which happened almost every time I wore the Osprey Talon pack in hot temperatures for 6+ hours. That being said, I love my Osprey Atmos AG 65 overnight pack. It fits well and carries everything I need for long treks. It does annoy the heck out of me that the internal frame squeaks though.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Dec 15, 2021 12:06 pm 
I had that issue ^^^ with a Granite Gear pack, but it was because the pack was too small for my torso. Other than that I really liked, it well made and comfortable while carrying under 25 lbs at least, above that it killed my shoulders.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostWed Dec 15, 2021 12:26 pm 
I really hope their customer service doesn't change. Two years ago I finally gave their "All-Mighty Guarantee" a test. One of the shoulder straps on my Exos pack frayed and broke during a trip after a year or two of use. I shipped the pack to them, paying for shipping, and they did the repair for free and shipped it back. They also took the time to patch the other various small holes and replace the stretch-pocket on the back. Sadly their repair didn't hold up to the first use and it broke in the exact same place again. They responded immediately, apologized, and overnighted me a brand-new Exos at their cost. I just had to put the old pack into the pre-paid return box so they could study why their repair failed. They've also sent me replacement buckles for a different pack free when those broke. Very happy with Osprey.

Obi Tony Kenobi, InFlight
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Dec 15, 2021 4:59 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
I recently bought a Gregory Zulu 30 for longer day trips. I specifically like how much more spacious it is than the Osprey pack. But also that it has a trampoline suspension system which keeps it from chafing my lower back. Which happened almost every time I wore the Osprey Talon pack in hot temperatures for 6+ hours.
I like Gregory, I have a Z-35 day pack that I will like and the Baltoro 70 L as I said, the suspension system is great for those who like to carry heavier weights. I have never owned an Osprey pack and likely never will. Their typical colors and the bird thing makes me think they are more for girls, lol.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostFri Dec 17, 2021 12:27 am 
Shoulder a load!!!!