Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Statement on COVID from Seattle / King County public health
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Author     Message
AA+
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Jan 15, 2022 4:34 pm 
clown.gif

hockeygrin.gif

--------------
Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Jan 15, 2022 9:39 pm 
Hmm, ok, so tests aren't 100% accurate, I don't find that surprising.  If anything would suggest infections are underreported. As far as what we've been told, big picture doesn't seem too far off based on hospitalizations, deaths, etc.

Cyclopath, Anne Elk, Josh Lewis
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jan 25, 2022 10:42 am 
It's going like crazy around here.  The health dept. announced that they are now too busy to post the daily new cases discovered.  Those have been in the 100s the last few days, with half of those being under 18 years old.  That is only for positive tests, not hospitalizations.

For me, I have a bit of allergy.  So, l wonder frequently, Covid or allergy?  My nose is drying up after the morning purge so I figure---allergy.   I am in the process of a through vacuuming of floors and furniture.

Went to Home Depot and got some more  masks, but with a valve built in.  They are much more pleasant to wear than the valveless kind.  They are like the box proclaims, cooler.  I also had dents in my face after wearing one last night, so they have a good seal.
smile.gif

--------------
What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jan 25, 2022 12:20 pm 
Since it seems that nearly everyone will get it at some point, so what is really the point of closures, distancing, and mandates? It's simply postponing the inevitable.

--------------
Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jan 25, 2022 1:06 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Since it seems that nearly everyone will get it at some point, so what is really the point of closures, distancing, and mandates? It's simply postponing the inevitable.

I find myself wondering the same.

--------------
What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostTue Jan 25, 2022 1:43 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:

I find myself wondering the same.

One reason could be to spread out the load on the system (health care, et al) across a broader timeline so that "demand does not exceed supply".

Cyclopath, Opus
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Jan 25, 2022 1:44 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Went to Home Depot and got some more  masks, but with a valve built in.  They are much more pleasant to wear than the valveless kind.

First of all I really appreciate hearing from your neck of the woods.  Sorry to hear that it's getting crazy lately.  Hang in there.

With all due respect tw, my understanding is that the valve-fitted masks are allowing the wearer to breathe out air filled with particles (including any virus) into the space.  So the wearer might be comfortable and somewhat protected but they are defeating the purpose of wearing the mask for the folks sharing the space.   As they say:  "Change My Mind".  wink.gif  ~z

Bosterson

Bosterson
PostTue Jan 25, 2022 2:13 pm 
zephyr wrote:
With all due respect tw, my understanding is that the valve-fitted masks are allowing the wearer to breathe out air filled with particles (including any virus) into the space.  So the wearer might be comfortable and somewhat protected but they are defeating the purpose of wearing the mask for the folks sharing the space.

I was going to say the same thing. The valves defeat the purpose of the mask in the first place, at least for COVID (vs like construction dust or something).

--------------
Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree!  Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE!
BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE!

(-bootpathguy)
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue Jan 25, 2022 2:13 pm 
That's my understanding, too--the masks with valves are for shop work, not for medical use.  Don't throw them away, though; they are very useful when smoke time comes around!

--------------
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Jan 25, 2022 2:18 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:

This seems like a uniquely (or mostly) American idea, that I've heard voiced by a number of people I know.  Americans have very low frustration tolerance. Not everyone shares that attitude, particularly when workplace safety is concerned. There will continue to be disruptions in the workplace, education, and economy in general until this virus evolves into something relatively benign for mostly everyone, like the flu. If everyone got vaccinated, this would likely happen faster.

One big unknown seems to be whether there are any long term effects following a mild infection, ie, long term damage affecting various organs, as happened with many of the first cases of people who survived, damage to the nervous system and other systems. We probably won't know that for 10+ years. When hospital admissions for covid start reaching the low single digits, I'll consider it safe to unmask in public.

--------------
"There are yahoos out there.  It’s why we can’t have nice things."  - Tom Mahood

IanB
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jan 25, 2022 2:51 pm 
OOPs, but ...  should I worry about what I spread when most of the people around me are not wearing masks?  In the area stores, mask wearers are definitely in the minority, and I worry about my protection.  The new masks have a better fit on me.  So, what is the etiquette when one lives in an area of Covid denial?  Stores do have masks required signs, but that is ignored and not enforced at all.

It is a different world here.

--------------
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Jan 25, 2022 2:57 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
when most of the people around me are not wearing masks?  In the area stores, mask wearers are definitely in the minority, and I worry about my protection.  The new masks have a better fit on me.

Gotcha.  Now I understand.  And I don't know if I have a "good" answer to this dilemma.  Thanks for explaining the situation more.  ~z

neek

neek
PostTue Jan 25, 2022 2:59 pm 
Bosterson wrote:
I was going to say the same thing. The valves defeat the purpose of the mask in the first place, at least for COVID (vs like construction dust or something).

True, but the "my mask protects you" argument (which I was a firm believer in) has pretty much fallen apart with omicron.  Given how most people wear masks (cloth, manslipping, poor seal, not at all, etc.), I don't really care if someone wears an N95 with a valve.  At least they're being honest.

Anne Elk wrote:
When hospital admissions for covid start reaching the low single digits, I'll consider it safe to unmask in public.

I think that's the right way to look at it (whatever "low single digits" refers to).  This is probably right around the corner.  I'm still careful, mostly because my wife works in a hospital and they really don't need any more staff outages.  But there's no reason for anyone with my risk profile to fear an omicron infection.  (Everyone, of course, has their own risk profile and tolerance threshold.)

Some of these new vaccines are interesting.  Clinical trials for mRNA vaccines updated for omicron are starting, which honestly seems kind of pointless to me at this point--we need to start targeting more than just the spike protein.  Covaxin, based on a disabled version of the actual virus (a more traditional approach), sounds promising.  And there are a few others we mentioned previously.

Chief Joseph wrote:

Once again it's about flattening the curve.  After things improve--and that's real soon now--they're going to have a hard time justifying these measures to anyone who's been paying close attention.

China is in a bad situation because their vaccine barely works against new variants, and their "zero covid" policy means no one has developed any natural immunity.  So it will be interesting to see how that works out.  I suspect they'll just keep playing the vaccine game, which the Times article I read on the subject fails to consider.

IanB
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jan 25, 2022 3:00 pm 
It's kind of an ethical dilemma.

However, I will go back to wearing the hot ones for orchestra.

--------------
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Jan 25, 2022 3:22 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
should I worry about what I spread when most of the people around me are not wearing masks?  In the area stores, mask wearers are definitely in the minority,

You're probably safe from the stink-eye over there.

I have a super-duper valved N-95 that has a silicone seal around the edges; I picked up several when I was in New York state this past summer.  I wear it here when going to places that are really crowded, like Costco.  But appreciating that a lot of folks in the Seattle area would understand it as not protective for them, I put a light conventional mask over it to cover the valve. Since Omicron, I've been wearing it more.

--------------
"There are yahoos out there.  It’s why we can’t have nice things."  - Tom Mahood