Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Statement on COVID from Seattle / King County public health
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostThu Feb 17, 2022 4:07 pm 
And now there is Omicron BA.2 which apparently is not detected by the nasal swab test or PCR test. Not what we wanted to hear: https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/17/health/ba-2-covid-severity/index.html

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostThu Feb 17, 2022 5:34 pm 
Joey wrote:
And now there is Omicron BA.2 which apparently is not detected by the nasal swab test or PCR test.
To be clear, the virus itself can still be detected - just not the variant type without sequencing the whole virus. (Omicron had a distinctive signature that meant the viral genome didn't need to be sequenced to determine if it was omicron.)
Quote:
"As you may know, BA.2 is called 'stealth Omicron,' " Sato told CNN. That's because it doesn't show up on PCR tests as an S-gene target failure, the way Omicron does. Labs therefore have to take an extra step and sequence the virus to find this variant. "Establishing a method to detect BA.2 specifically would be the first thing" many countries need to do, he says.
He's discussing tracking the spread of the variant, not whether someone is infected. Regular tests will still work for detecting infection itself.

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)

Anne Elk, Joey, Cyclopath
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostThu Feb 17, 2022 7:45 pm 
@Bosterson - Thanks for clarifying.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Feb 18, 2022 11:12 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Tom wrote:
Curious about these extremists on the other side of the issue?
They are the ones firing workers who refuse the vaccinations.
If you think this is a problem, there are things you can do to improve it: * Support unions. They exist to protect people from being fired unfairly. * Vote for people who support worker's rights, and unions. At will employment is the law of the land. Companies can fire workers for pretty much any reason. The laws that have been on the books longer than either of us have been alive say no one is entitled to a job, if you want to keep yours you have to keep your boss happy. We've all understood this all along.

zimmertr, Malachai Constant
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Feb 18, 2022 1:18 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Companies can fire workers for pretty much any reason.
From what I recall from my employment contracts with bigger companies and from the management training I received. Employment can be terminated for no reason and usually it is preferred to not specify a reason when terminating an employee. If you give a reason, then the employee can require evidence to support the reason and can also seek compensation for damage to their reputation. While I was at MSFT , we often had "reorganizations" following the annual review period to "layoff" the people whose performance wasn't satisfactory. While I was at Boeing , the only time I saw anyone get fired was when they where actually committing a crime in the workplace. The people that slept at their desks or were drunk on the job were tolerated. (And perhaps encouraged to join AA)

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue Feb 22, 2022 8:52 am 
Some good news here: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.02.14.480394v1 In a nutshell, the human body responds to a third dose of mRNA vaccine by establishing long-lasting antibodies that may remain for years, and are likely to remain effective against severe disease even from new variants.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir

RichP
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Feb 28, 2022 3:55 pm 

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Feb 28, 2022 5:28 pm 
Click to enlarge. ~z

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Feb 28, 2022 6:10 pm 
zephyr wrote:

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Mar 06, 2022 11:29 pm 
Yesterday was a bit of a milestone, it was the first time in over 2 years that I was able to watch ABC's World News Tonight without one word about Covid. I know it's all about the war now, but it was still refreshing to finally not have to hear about Covid.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Mar 08, 2022 7:36 am 
New study using brain scans shows even mild COVID adversely affects the brain. I think I am going to keep wearing an N95 mask for awhile since I am well into the over 65 age group. No paywall https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/long-covid-even-mild-covid-linked-damage-brain-months-infection-rcna18959

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Mar 08, 2022 10:25 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Yesterday was a bit of a milestone, it was the first time in over 2 years that I was able to watch ABC's World News Tonight without one word about Covid. I know it's all about the war now, but it was still refreshing to finally not have to hear about Covid.
I would recommend in faith that you not watch TV news if you don't want to hear about covid. It exists to stress people out so they'll watch more so advertisers will pay them for access to your brain.

Chief Joseph
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Mar 08, 2022 1:54 pm 
Joey wrote:
New study using brain scans shows even mild COVID adversely affects the brain.
Having to hear about it on the news every day for over 2 years definitely adversely affected my brain, although I stopped watching for quite a while and with frequent breaks.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Mar 30, 2022 10:21 am 
Here's a link to a live event from Washington State. Information will include the BA2 variant and the 4th vaccine (2nd Booster). Note: The live briefing has just concluded. More information at their website. And here is a link to the Seattle Times today discussing the second booster shot. ~z

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostFri Apr 01, 2022 6:52 am 
King County health Dept reports COVID cases are up 42% comparing two recent 7 day periods. https://twitter.com/DocJeffD/status/1509627170087321607 UW expert with thoughts on second booster https://www.kxly.com/uw-medicine-researcher-comments-on-fda-approving-second-covid-booster-shot/