Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Statement on COVID from Seattle / King County public health
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostWed Dec 22, 2021 6:33 pm 
Tom wrote:
I believe Michigan is pretty bad right now, haven't really dived into data but I think that was based on the last two weeks.
No surprise here. Just left a family reunion in Frankenmuth last week. Barely saw a single mask and zero restrictions. Zender's was the only business I saw offering masks w/ "NOT REQUIRED" scribbled on the box. The mentality about COVID couldn't be more opposite than here in WA. That being said their hospitals were full of COVID patients during that time.

When asked "Why do you climb"? Simply respond "Why don't you"?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostWed Dec 22, 2021 8:18 pm 
One of the people I follow on twitter that knows about this stuff points out that the CDC does not have any good way to track COVID data. Instead, the feds rely on the COVID data collected by the states. Naturally different states have different systems with different characteristics and quality for doing COVID tracking. Early on, a single grad student at Johns Hopkins launched a project to collect, collate and normalize the data. That work has grown into a major and ongoing project. That work is updated each night and posted on GitHub for all to use. Here is a map I produce that uses the Johns Hopkins data and a running 7 day average to show trends over the prior 7 days and prior 14 days. There are different layers you can turn on/off to show cases or deaths. The data can be displayed by county/state/USA. Note that this data is not 'per capita' - i.e. not directly linked to population. The map automatically updates each night. Do not be surprised if other sources have different numbers since, again, there is no single system for collected/reporting COVID data. Instead, focus on (1) the trends and(2) whether changes are happening quickly or slowly.
View larger size in new window

zimmertr
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Dec 22, 2021 8:29 pm 
rocknclimb wrote:
Tom wrote:
I believe Michigan is pretty bad right now, haven't really dived into data but I think that was based on the last two weeks.
No surprise here. Just left a family reunion in Frankenmuth last week. Barely saw a single mask and zero restrictions. Zender's was the only business I saw offering masks w/ "NOT REQUIRED" scribbled on the box. The mentality about COVID couldn't be more opposite than here in WA. That being said their hospitals were full of COVID patients during that time.
Uh, in some parts of Washington. Masks are not worn much around here. Maybe half the people in the big stores, and maybe very few in the small businesses.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

zimmertr
rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostWed Dec 22, 2021 8:41 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Uh, in some parts of Washington. Masks are not worn much around here. Maybe half the people in the big stores, and maybe very few in the small businesses.
I live in rural eastern WA. Seems about 50% of people have masks at least partially worn when I'm out & about. In rural Michigan it was maybe 1/150 with a mask at all. The difference was night & day.

When asked "Why do you climb"? Simply respond "Why don't you"?
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Dec 22, 2021 9:19 pm 
Joey wrote:
Here is a map I produce
Seems pretty glitchy. When I click on a point it zooms the map to Baffin Bay. Also the map label obscures the close button (if you click anything on the west coast) so you're DOA regardless after clicking. X to close would be better and more user friendly if it just hovered info on mouseover or click. Compare to maps from mayoclinic: https://www.mayoclinic.org/coronavirus-covid-19/map

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Dec 22, 2021 9:31 pm 
rocknclimb wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
I live in rural eastern WA. Seems about 50% of people have masks at least partially worn when I'm out & about. In rural Michigan it was maybe 1/150 with a mask at all. The difference was night & day.
I also live in rural eastern WA but north of you. Masking depends on what store one is at, and what time of day. Nobody enforces it that I can see in the Okanogan Valley. After the Walmart visit and seeing how few were wearing masks and how crowded the store was, I went to another, more expensive but less crowded store to finish shopping. People are tired of Covid and ignoring it, and any regulations. The Methow is another world and stores even have signs up about even covering your nose. In September, I made a trip to Up Nort Wisconsin and they were more like the Methow--folks were masked up in stores.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

jinx'sboy
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostWed Dec 22, 2021 9:59 pm 
TW is correct about the differences in Okanogan Co. I’d estimate mask use in the large Twisp grocery at 85- 90+%. Interesting, I returned 2 weeks ago from an extended visit to Scotland. Mask use there was also exceptional…90% plus. And even better on buses and trains where masks were ‘required’. (Strange…on a major train route from Edinburgh south, when we crossed the ‘border’ to England- an announcement - “we have left Scotland, you may remove your mask, now”) People in Scotland are still cautious about going out for dinner, or to the pub, or gathering in friends homes. And UK vaccination rates are 80%++. Yet - today, I read that UK covid cases have topped 100,000 - for the first time, ever. I dunno….

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostThu Dec 23, 2021 5:40 am 
Tom wrote:
When I click on a point it zooms the map to Baffin Bay.
When you click a symbol you get a popup showing the data (running 7 day average) for the prior 14 days. The map pans because (1) the bottom of the popup is anchored at the point you clicked and (2) you are looking at the top of the popup. You need to drag the map to see all the popup data.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Dec 23, 2021 7:33 am 
jinx'sboy wrote:
TW is correct about the differences in Okanogan Co. I’d estimate mask use in the large Twisp grocery at 85- 90+%. Interesting, I returned 2 weeks ago from an extended visit to Scotland. Mask use there was also exceptional…90% plus. And even better on buses and trains where masks were ‘required’. (Strange…on a major train route from Edinburgh south, when we crossed the ‘border’ to England- an announcement - “we have left Scotland, you may remove your mask, now”) People in Scotland are still cautious about going out for dinner, or to the pub, or gathering in friends homes. And UK vaccination rates are 80%++. Yet - today, I read that UK covid cases have topped 100,000 - for the first time, ever. I dunno….
Our Senior Center has signs prominently displayed on the door about masks absolutely required, etc. Yet, when I go there with donations, NOBODY, except me has a mask on. I don't get it, and I have quit trying to get it. My aunt, when asked how she liked her trip to Scotland, said, "It's just like being in Oregon."

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostThu Dec 23, 2021 8:30 am 
When you wear a mask and breath *in* then you want the mask to filter out any virus particles emitted by contagious people who are breathing out. In order for your mask to do that it must be (1) made from the right kind of material and (2) seal to your face without gaps by your nose or elsewhere. My sense is that the great majority of cloth masks fail on one or both of the above points. And the blue surgical masks fail on #2. Here is a detailed description by the CDC on the pros/cons of different types of masks. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/types-of-masks.html N95 is a USA standard. KN95 is a Chinese standard. Here CDC is a page where you can check if certain make/model of mask has been officially approved as meeting the N95 standard. https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/disp_part/N95list1.html Yesterday was my first trip to Redmond stores wearing an N95 mask. So naturally I paid more attention to the masks worn by my fellow shoppers. Good - Almost everyone was wearing a mask of some kind. Yes, a few people had no mask and I saw more than a few noses. Not so good - Part of the N95 spec is that the elastic bands go around the back of your head (which helps seal the mask to your face). Everyone I saw that did not have hair covering their ears had a mask with ear loops. Thus, none of those were N95 masks. If those masks failed on #1 and/or #2 (see above) then there is a good chance that the people wearing those masks were breathing in any virus particles that were suspended in the air. And of course if any of those folks were contagious then they were likely seeding the air in the store with virus.

day_hike_mike, graywolf
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostThu Dec 23, 2021 7:04 pm 
Trevor Bedford: https://www.statnews.com/2021/12/22/a-computational-biologist-weighs-in-on-omicron-the-future-of-vaccines-and-the-cdcs-variant-forecast/

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler

Anne Elk, neek
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Dec 23, 2021 7:29 pm 
Joey wrote:
The map automatically updates each night.
The calibration of the map is screwy. The symbols only indicate "trend" and makes Washington appear worse than Michigan. But checking the actual numbers, Michigan currently has about double the number of new cases per 100K population than does Washington.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Dec 23, 2021 8:50 pm 
Just go to the Mayo clinic site. Color coded maps that won't take you to the North Pole when you click on them and have useful statistics on mouseover as well as animation showing trend and forecasts.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostFri Dec 24, 2021 7:41 am 
The author of this article has been knee deep in Covid data from early on. Article points out the hard reality that for the next several weeks (longer?) no one is going to know how many new Covid cases there are in the USA. https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/12/were-about-to-lose-track-of-the-pandemic/621097/

graywolf

graywolf
PostFri Dec 24, 2021 7:55 am 
Joey wrote:
When you wear a mask and breath *in* then you want the mask to filter out any virus particles emitted by contagious people who are breathing out. In order for your mask to do that it must be (1) made from the right kind of material and (2) seal to your face without gaps by your nose or elsewhere. My sense is that the great majority of cloth masks fail on one or both of the above points. And the blue surgical masks fail on #2. Here is a detailed description by the CDC on the pros/cons of different types of masks. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/types-of-masks.html N95 is a USA standard. KN95 is a Chinese standard. Here CDC is a page where you can check if certain make/model of mask has been officially approved as meeting the N95 standard. https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/disp_part/N95list1.html Yesterday was my first trip to Redmond stores wearing an N95 mask. So naturally I paid more attention to the masks worn by my fellow shoppers. Good - Almost everyone was wearing a mask of some kind. Yes, a few people had no mask and I saw more than a few noses. Not so good - Part of the N95 spec is that the elastic bands go around the back of your head (which helps seal the mask to your face). Everyone I saw that did not have hair covering their ears had a mask with ear loops. Thus, none of those were N95 masks. If those masks failed on #1 and/or #2 (see above) then there is a good chance that the people wearing those masks were breathing in any virus particles that were suspended in the air. And of course if any of those folks were contagious then they were likely seeding the air in the store with virus.
Helpful post. Got a delivery of KN95 masks from Amazon yesterday after reading an article about which masks were given an EUA. Checked the CDC site, and they are listed as approved.

The only easy day was yesterday...

Joey