Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Statement on COVID from Seattle / King County public health
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jan 04, 2022 10:46 am 
I was reading about a new vaccine that is not RNA (which I haven't taken the time out to understand) based and much easier to make and distribute that has been developed. The two doctors who have developed this vaccine are not going to make money off it--they are putting it out in the non-patent area for the good of everybody. (another realm that I've not the expertise to go off on). Any country will be free to manufacture it. Hope it works out.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostTue Jan 04, 2022 11:08 am 
You are talking about Corbevax? Yes, very cool.
treeswarper wrote:
which I haven't taken the time out to understand
You should, it's super simple. Just remember: DNA -> RNA -> protein. DNA (your genes) of course lives in the nucleus of most cells. It guides the production of short-lived segments of RNA that exit the nucleus and tell the cell how to make the corresponding protein. For moderna/pfizer, RNA is smuggled into your cells and instructs them to produce the spike protein, which your immune system learns to recognize and neutralize. For Corbevax, I believe, the protein is manufactured by yeast, then injected. One hope is that people will be more open to this method, since it's been used in other vaccines, and doesn't involve hijacking cellular machinery in the same way. Cool that it's patent-free. In the US we tend to forget that our fate is intimately tied to the rest of the world's. Virus doesn't care what country it spreads and mutates in. Vaccine hording hasn't necessarily done us much good in the long run.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jan 04, 2022 11:09 am 
treeswarper wrote:
I was reading about a new vaccine that is not RNA
The J&J vaccine isn't mRNA -- but it's efficacy is statistically lower than the mRNA offerings. It is considerably easier to distrubute and handle as it doesn't require liquid nitrogen temperatures for storage. The Novavax vaccine that is currently being considered for approval by the FDA uses genetically modifed moth cells to manufacture COVID "Spike" proteins in the factory. The Novavax requires only "refrigerator" temperatures for storage and handling -- a significant advantage for pursuing world wide vaccination. There has been considerable disinformation spread about the mRNA based vaccines -- since the Novavax vaccine doesn't use mRNA -- the anti-vaccine folks will need to concoct some other disinformation about this Novavax product (assuming it is approved) to discourage its usage.

neek

neek
PostTue Jan 04, 2022 11:24 am 
Randito wrote:
There has been considerable disinformation spread about the mRNA based vaccines -- since the Novavax vaccine doesn't use mRNA -- the anti-vaccine folks will need to concoct some other disinformation about this Novavax product (assuming it is approved) to discourage its usage.
I suspect you're right. OTOH, I have a friend in Texas who got J&J ("I don't trust those new ones"). That's just one example of course but I'm pretty sure he didn't come up with the idea on his own. FWIW, Moderna dropped the super-cold storage requirement pretty early on.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Jan 04, 2022 11:41 am 
Tom quoted the portion of the MD's letter that I zeroed in on: the statistical improbability of that many people having serious vaccine complications under the care of the same physician. Although there was a significant harm event when the polio vaccine was first rolled out: caused by an error in manufacturing. That could explain such a concentrated occurrence in one geographic area. From Wikipedia:
Quote:
In April 1955, soon after mass polio vaccination began in the US, the Surgeon General began to receive reports of patients who contracted paralytic polio about a week after being vaccinated with Salk polio vaccine from the Cutter pharmaceutical company, with the paralysis limited to the limb the vaccine was injected into. The Cutter vaccine had been used in vaccinating 200,000 children in the western and midwestern United States. Later investigations showed that the Cutter vaccine had caused 40,000 cases of polio, killing 10. In response the Surgeon General pulled all polio vaccines made by Cutter Laboratories from the market, but not before 250 cases of paralytic illness had occurred. Wyeth polio vaccine was also reported to have paralyzed and killed several children. It was soon discovered that some lots of Salk polio vaccine made by Cutter and Wyeth had not been properly inactivated, allowing live poliovirus into more than 100,000 doses of vaccine. In May 1955, the National Institutes of Health and Public Health Services established a Technical Committee on Poliomyelitis Vaccine to test and review all polio vaccine lots and advise the Public Health Service as to which lots should be released for public use. These incidents reduced public confidence in polio vaccine, leading to a drop in vaccination rates.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jan 04, 2022 12:06 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Tom quoted the portion of the MD's letter that I zeroed in on: the statistical improbability of that many people having serious vaccine complications under the care of the same physician. Although there was a significant harm event when the polio vaccine was first rolled out: caused by an error in manufacturing. That could explain such a concentrated occurrence in one geographic area. From Wikipedia:
Quote:
In April 1955, soon after mass polio vaccination began in the US, the Surgeon General began to receive reports of patients who contracted paralytic polio about a week after being vaccinated with Salk polio vaccine from the Cutter pharmaceutical company, with the paralysis limited to the limb the vaccine was injected into. The Cutter vaccine had been used in vaccinating 200,000 children in the western and midwestern United States. Later investigations showed that the Cutter vaccine had caused 40,000 cases of polio, killing 10. In response the Surgeon General pulled all polio vaccines made by Cutter Laboratories from the market, but not before 250 cases of paralytic illness had occurred. Wyeth polio vaccine was also reported to have paralyzed and killed several children. It was soon discovered that some lots of Salk polio vaccine made by Cutter and Wyeth had not been properly inactivated, allowing live poliovirus into more than 100,000 doses of vaccine. In May 1955, the National Institutes of Health and Public Health Services established a Technical Committee on Poliomyelitis Vaccine to test and review all polio vaccine lots and advise the Public Health Service as to which lots should be released for public use. These incidents reduced public confidence in polio vaccine, leading to a drop in vaccination rates.
More information on the Cutter Incident https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1383764/

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Jan 04, 2022 12:14 pm 
One of the people that I follow on twitter is in the DC area and makes posts related to 911 in that area. For several days he has been reporting that various hospitals either (1) have zero vacant beds or (2) have available beds but lack staff to service those beds. Source: https://twitter.com/STATter911 As a result, ambulances either wait at the hospital with the person they are transporting for a staffed bed to become available or the ambulance is sent to a different hospital further away.

Bosterson

Bosterson
PostTue Jan 04, 2022 1:50 pm 
neek wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
which I haven't taken the time out to understand
You should, it's super simple. Just remember: DNA -> RNA -> protein. DNA (your genes) of course lives in the nucleus of most cells. It guides the production of short-lived segments of RNA that exit the nucleus and tell the cell how to make the corresponding protein.
Best explained thusly by XKCD:
(you can read it if you zoom in)

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)

IanB, Cyclopath, treeswarper, Chief Joseph
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Jan 04, 2022 2:37 pm 
Bosterson wrote:
Best explained thusly by XKCD:
Awesome. ~z

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jan 04, 2022 4:57 pm 
It's called Corbevax, I think. Here's a very generalized blurb about it. The best thing is that it is non-patent. I don't know about this source, but the article is basically what I read this morning at another news site. https://humanevents.com/2022/01/04/new-patent-free-covid-19-vaccine-developed-in-texas/

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostFri Jan 14, 2022 5:53 am 
Over the last few days new covid cases in the USA have roughly leveled off at around 750,000 new cases per day. This is based on Johns Hopkins data and a running 7 day average. At the state level, the number of new cases per day is going down in some eastern and central states. Unfortunately for us, in Washington State and most of the other western states, new cases over the prior 2 weeks have tripled or more. Hope everyone has switched to N95 masks.

Anne Elk
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Jan 14, 2022 9:04 am 
neek wrote:
doesn't involve hijacking cellular machinery
I winced at the way you worded this. The human body generates its own messenger RNA. The word "hijacking" here is like saying that the government hijacked the Post Office when it sent out stimulus checks.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jan 14, 2022 9:17 am 
Joey wrote:
Over the last few days new covid cases in the USA have roughly leveled off at around 750,000 new cases per day. This is based on Johns Hopkins data and a running 7 day average. At the state level, the number of new cases per day is going down in some eastern and central states. Unfortunately for us, in Washington State and most of the other western states, new cases over the prior 2 weeks have tripled or more. Hope everyone has switched to N95 masks.
Here in Okanogan County, the virus has been following the predictions. The health dept. puts out a count each work day. It's gone up like this. 4 cases to 17 cases to 50 cases to 77 cases as of yesterday. 77 is a lot for this area. Less cases are found on weekends and I'm thinking that's because folks don't want to go to the emergency room as everything else is closed. I've been N95ing for some time. I'm going to orchestra rehearsal because I can't stand not going anymore. Masks are required, wind instruments have covers on the outlets, and I think everyone is vaccinated. There are air purifiers operating around the room. Stay tuned. (pun intended)

neek

neek
PostFri Jan 14, 2022 9:28 am 
Sculpin wrote:
I winced at the way you worded this. The human body generates its own messenger RNA. The word "hijacking" here is like saying that the government hijacked the Post Office when it sent out stimulus checks.
It was intended as subtle satire. I'm delighted someone was paying attention smile.gif

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jan 14, 2022 9:41 am 
My grandson got positive PCR results on Monday from a test made last Friday, this was after his family has flown back from Baltimore with a 4 hour layover in Detroit. He had had multiple negative quick tests earlier in the week. So we had tge grandkids over on the weekend. All the grandkids have been asymptomatic, all are vaccinated. My son and daughter-in-law are both vaccinated and boosted as are my wife and I. They have felt a bit punky, but how much is COVID-19 and how much is keeping all three kids home from school is undetermined. My wife and I have experienced very mild symptoms, mild headache and some throat irritation. My youngest son, who lives in LA is vaccinated, but hadn't gotten around to getting the booster felt really crummy for a weekand has loss sense of taste and smell. We went to the Bellevue College site for a PCR test swab yesterday. We arrived about 5 minutes before our scheduled appointment and the queued for an hour and half before performing the test. The site was well managed, but there were so many cars that we had to snake up and down the parking garage, like we were at Disneyland on a holiday weekend.