Forum Index > Trail Talk > Stevens to Snoq via PCT in early July?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Jan 11, 2022 9:52 am 
Id think there would still be some snow on the trail. Assuming a slightly later melt out than normal... would you bring an axe or do you think microspikes and poles are sufficient? Thanks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostTue Jan 11, 2022 10:13 am 
Hmm, lots of steep side hilling. I'd bring a lightweight axe. Can be used for other things too, like digging a poop hole and fighting off tigers. Of course, check trip reports closer to the departure date. Sometimes I take a whippet, but honestly a single pole plus axe is probably better for hiking, maybe lighter too.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jan 11, 2022 11:04 am 
There is a massive avalanche gully between Deception Pass and Cathedral rock that is probably the last thing to melt out. During the melt out there will be a time where there is a flimsy snowbridge over a rushing creek. Breaking through could easily be game over. That particular section can be avoided by following the stock trail.. There are a number similar avalanche gullies along the route that require similar care to traverse, but can't be avoided.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Jan 11, 2022 11:46 am 
My opinion is that niether would be needed unless there really is a huge snowpack or an unusually cool spring which delays meltout. What is really needed is the ability to kick steps. That might mean you should go a step stiffer than trail runners and get some Keens, Oboz, Merrells, or something similar. I personally like something that has a defined edge to the sole so that it cuts into the snow easier. Of course this all depends on your level of comfort on snow and such. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Jan 11, 2022 4:04 pm 
Thanks for the feedback! We might also go in mid-late august and trade snow concerns for smoke concerns.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jan 11, 2022 5:28 pm 
Yes, the window between snow and smoke season seems to be getting narrower. I did that section in early September 20 years ago. Some rain, but otherwise nice and neither too hot nor buggy. Not a big fire year that year though.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed Jan 12, 2022 2:38 pm 
Early september would be ideal, presumably after the first rain but before the first heavy rain... but alas the wife has to work then.

dave allyn
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jan 13, 2022 2:13 am 
I also did a trip in the area in early August -- it was so warm and dry that week that I slept out every night and didn't have a speck of dew on my bag in the morning. Went for long swims every afternoon. So dry that there weren't hardly any mosquitos -- even at Peggy's Pond. It was all great until as we approached the summit of Mt Daniel -- smoke started blowing in from the Davis Peak fire -- which had started from a lightning strike the day before. My hopes for broad views were dashed.

solohiker

solohiker
PostThu Jan 13, 2022 1:58 pm 
According to your thread title you're asking about "early" July. Generally, there are still some snow chutes across the trail on both sides of Huckleberry pass until late July. Ice axe would be prudent, as the drop is a very long way down. If you're starting at Stevens it would be a shame to get so close to Snoqualmie and not be able to make it for lack of equipment. Then again if it's warm enough you can dig steps in the chute to safely cross. Here's a report from early July last year by someone hiking from the Snoqualmie side. Every year is different of course. There have been "no snow" years where you could make the trip in June with no hassles.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone

thunderhead
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSat Jan 15, 2022 8:17 am 
July? Yeah 2 ft. Or more of snow till mid july..frozen lakes this year.. We did some July 14th? last year and seen a few through hikers from Snoqualmie heading north...snow patches but went..we just did a quick 1 nighters behind stevens...

timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Jan 17, 2022 6:37 am 
Lots of variables affect the snow then.