PostThu Feb 10, 2022 10:26 am 
May he RIP.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Feb 10, 2022 12:59 pm 
Looks like a great guy--a geologist and a mountaineer. Here's a wonderful tribute/obituary in the San Jose Mercury News. Thanks for posting this cascadetraverser ~z Just an excerpt: Rowland attended Stanford University as an undergraduate. A fortuitous college summer job as a geologic field assistant in Alaska set him on the path to his life's work as a mountaineering geologist. He pursued graduate studies in geology at the University of Washington. Upon receiving his PhD in 1961, he was hired by the U. S. Geological Survey in Menlo Park, CA. He spent a season in Antarctica, and then over the next 34 years went on to write professional papers and create geologic maps of Kentucky, the Moon, Nevada, the Olympic Peninsula, and the North Cascades. He served several years as Chief of the Branch of Western Regional Geology. After his retirement in 1995, he stayed on at the Survey as Geologist Emeritus, where he continued to publish geologic maps of his beloved North Cascades. While at Stanford, Rowland found his tribe with the Stanford Alpine Club. There he made life-long friendships forged during memorable mountaineering adventures. The stories of his SAC climbs and skiing expeditions are legend. As an accomplished mountaineer, he was a long-time member of the American Alpine Club. Notable climbs included Lost Arrow Spire (CA), Shiprock (NM), Hoover Tower (CA), and first ascents of Mt La Perouse (AK) and the North Ridge of Mt Johannesburg (WA). While on a Fulbright in Austria he also enjoyed climbs in the French Alps, and an ascent of the Matterhorn. Note: emphasis is mine.

cascadetraverser
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Feb 11, 2022 4:10 pm 
There is a longer thread about Rowland Tabor in the History section. I just now found out about it. I added my comment above after doing a quick search for him following cascadetraverser's post. ~z

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Feb 11, 2022 4:34 pm 
I b'lieve NWHiker Brushbuffalo worked with Tabor on R&R survey's

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostFri Feb 11, 2022 4:58 pm 
I remember chatting with you Kim when he was giving the presentation in PA some years back, which I sorely wanted to come to but logistics were impossible. Weren’t you involved in that and met him?