Forum Index > Trail Talk > Who owns Kapowsin Tree Farm these days?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RichP

RichP
PostFri Feb 25, 2022 5:46 pm 
I know these places change hands from time to time, but browsing maps on the Hancock Recreation website where Google sends me, I see no lands listed in Western Wa. Permit sales haven't started for the year yet so maybe that's why. Hoping they offer a non-motorized permit for a decent fee but can find no info on that either?? Specifically, I'm looking to access some hills around Enumclaw and south of there. https://www.hancockrecreation.com

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostFri Feb 25, 2022 6:44 pm 
You're in the right place I believe. They have at least 3 tree farms in WA to my knowledge, White River, Kapowsin, and Eatonville. I had a motorized Kapowsin permit in 2019 which was pricey at $300 but allowed me to get to some peaks w/o trespassing and I live in Pierce County so used it for quiet winter walks with the dog. Permit season ran 4/1-3/31 and per the email I bought on 3/18 but not sure if that is when it opened for sale for the year. Not sure about non-motorized availability or prices. I bought White River in 2020 but then elected to cancel for a refund as it was closed due to COVID. Thinking about doing White River this year perhaps. My guess is they don't list it on the website until it is available for sale or shortly before but I'm not sure. Contact info in the emails: Hancock Forest Management 31716 Camp 1 Road East Orting, WA Orting 1-800-782-1493 and emails from hnunnally at hnrg.com (H=Heather)

RichP
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat Feb 26, 2022 11:22 am 
I was looking into this earlier this year out of curiosity as to the state of the backdoor access to Golden Lakes. Per the Pierce County Assessor's data, it seems that there's a patchwork of ownership in that area, with the majority being split between Hancock and "Mid-Valley Resources Inc", which as far as I can tell looks like it may be a subsidiary of Hampton. There are also at least a couple parcels specifically registered to Hampton themselves, so probably a safe bet that they hold a good chunk, if not the majority, of the land between Lake Kapowsin and the National Park. Sounds like they are currently in the process of overhauling their access points and aren't ready to issue recreation permits for Pierce County yet.

Bryan Swan Pictures - http://www.bryanswanphotography.com Waterfalls - www.waterfallsnorthwest.com

RichP
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSat Feb 26, 2022 1:32 pm 
I was looking at this a month or two ago, too. I was left scratching my head. Looking at the links Sore Feet posted a lot has changed since I was looking. It is good to see some progress, at least. As for the Golden Lakes, I hope never to have to hike the Paul Peak Trail again. As best I can tell whomever laid out that trail was stretching it out so it wouldn't be a shortcut vs coming in from Mowich Lake.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch

RichP
RichP

RichP
PostMon Feb 28, 2022 7:33 am 
I did get a reply from Hancock and they are indeed still working on this. They are under Manulife Investment Management now. $$$
Quote:
Details for this permit have not been finalized, they will be available on our website once more information is solidified.
https://www.manulifeim.com/institutional/global/en/investing-in-timber-and-farmland

RichP

RichP
PostSat Mar 26, 2022 2:30 pm 
To follow up, permits are now available and I got the annual non-motorized access for the White River section for $45.00. A pretty good deal for biking gravel roads and dumpster diving. The Kapowsin section only offers a motorized permit for $325.00 which I could not bring bring myself to buy. frown.gif Maybe this can change and they will offer non-motorized access with some encouragement. https://www.hancockrecreation.com

Cyclopath, Tom
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostSun Mar 27, 2022 7:29 pm 
Being a lazy peakbagger, I picked up the motorized White River. Hope to get some semi-local P400s out of it with the main attractions being Peak 5018 and then I hope to drop off of the ridge from there and down to a saddle and up to Frog which is kind of a pain to get to these days.

RichP
RichP

RichP
PostTue May 17, 2022 8:01 pm 
I've used my non-motorized permit a few times and it has been good. Here's a view from today on a 25-mile ride. Quiet and only saw one vehicle the whole time I was out. My only worry is leaving my vehicle parked outside the gates along 410. So far all my windows are intact. Much of this property is now Muckleshoot but is evidently still managed by Hancock aka Manulife.
Boise Ridge Ride
Boise Ridge Ride

flatsqwerl
Owler

Owler
PostWed May 18, 2022 8:42 am 
Nice. How are the roads back there for riding? Do you stick the the main lines? I imagine in those 25 miles you got some good vert smile.gif

RichP

RichP
PostWed May 18, 2022 8:50 am 
I parked at the Mill Gate just outside of Enumclaw and the roads are excellent for riding. I was mostly on mainlines but did veer off to spurs for a couple of summits and those roads are mostly good. There are gates up and down 410. Here is a map of the White River section. More that 3k gain but the roads have a pretty good grade for biking. There was some pushing involved in the steepest sections but the ride down was exhilarating. https://www.hancockrecreation.com/sites/default/files/property-recreation-maps/WhiteRiver.pdf

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostThu May 19, 2022 8:33 am 
You definitely worked harder than I did on Enumclaw and Boise Ridge. I tried to discreetly do some things on Sunday in the rain up near the Grassy ridgeline but ran into the security guy and his husky way back while driving and that plus the rain caused me to bag it. Think I will get the main objectives back closer to the S before venturing too far afield.

RichP

RichP
PostWed Jan 03, 2024 5:51 pm 
Just to follow up on my original query: I got an email today from Manulife/Hancock who formerly managed recreational permits for The White River Tree Farm. They will no longer be doing this as The Muckleshoot Tribe will be managing the recreational program as of 2024. I assume this includes The Kapowsin Tree Farm as well. I haven't found any info online regarding permits but they usually go on sale in March each year.

fourteen410
ChrisCaviezel

ChrisCaviezel
PostSun Mar 10, 2024 1:55 pm 
Has anyone found any updated info for Kaposwin Tree Farm access for 2024?

Chris
RichP

RichP
PostMon Mar 11, 2024 6:02 am 
Haven't heard or seen anything yet. I did write to ask them pretty please on a non-motorized permit for the area.

RichP

RichP
PostSat Mar 16, 2024 7:47 pm 
Manulife is still managing permits for Kapowsin. Permits go on sale March 20. https://www.hancockrecreation.com

ChrisCaviezel