Forum Index > Trail Talk > Glacier Peak, other cascade suggestions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Andosan
Andosan

Andosan
Andosan
PostTue Apr 16, 2024 9:35 am 
Hi, I'm looking for ideas for a 4-5 day trip in either Alpine Lakes or Glacier Peak Wilderness areas. I was initially planing on the Ptarmigan Traverse but one member who is coming doesn't want to do that much alpine terrain so I'm looking at other ideas. I'm trying to create a plan memorable enough to convince my Montana friends to leave their endless options in their home state and come out west! Level wise, we did the Bailey Traverse w/ Mt. Olympus last summer which was definitely grueling at times but unforgettable trip. Loved the variation in terrain and views were incredible. Thought I'd try to make a route with one day off to bag a peak and relax a little more. Buck Creek Spider gap loop looks really beautiful but seems a bit too easy esp w/ 4-5 days? So I was looking at combining that loop with part of the Little Giant Spider loop. Basically at Buck Creek Pass you would head towards High Pass and continue into the Napeequa valley. And then maybe hit Napeequa peak and Buck Peak on the way. Something like this https://caltopo.com/m/B9UCF# D#1 to Lyman Lakes D#2 Lyman to Buck Creek Camp D#3 Buck Creek to Louis Creek (hit Napeequa peak on the way?) D#4 Day Offish, climb Buck Peak, hang out D#5 Louis Creek out Would it be better to just do the regular Little Giant Spider Loop? Any thoughts or recommendations on alt 4-5 day trip ideas? I've been trying to figure out a loop in the Alpine Lakes area but most seem too short or are traverses with car shuttles - not out of question. Any recs on a loop that incorporates Mt. Daniel perhaps? Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
idoru

idoru
PostTue Apr 16, 2024 2:06 pm 
Andosan wrote:
I've been trying to figure out a loop in the Alpine Lakes area but most seem too short or are traverses with car shuttles - not out of question. Any recs on a loop that incorporates Mt. Daniel perhaps?
An "extended" Alpine Lakes High Route has been on my mind for a while now, and this would only require a minor car shuttle. Follow the 'traditional' route via West Fork Foss to Tank Lakes, then traverse to La Bohn Gap via the Magic Staircase. From there, summit Hinman and traverse over to Dip Top Gap, at which point Daniel options become available. Head out from Dip Top Gap (if you summit Daniel, you also have other options - drop on down to PCT Section J, maybe?) and make your way over to the Tonga Ridge Trailhead. Edit: I'm pretty sure that you could also traverse along Hinman's ridge towards Daniel, and then drop on down to Venus Lake from the saddle at ~6200' between Hinman and Daniel, then over to the PCT like I mentioned above. I think Beckey mentions that route as an alternative for summiting Hinman, but I've never scoped it out personally so I could be wrong.

Andosan
Andosan

Andosan
Andosan
PostTue Apr 16, 2024 7:28 pm 
I was actually looking at the same idea for Alpine Lakes, Foss Lakes over to Hinman Glacier, hit Mt. Daniel from the north via Lynch Glacier, cont towards Cathedral rock and loop back to the start on the Deception Creek trail, or double back on the Mt Daniel trail towards Marmot Lake and loop around back from there. This is what I came up with for the Hinman to Mt Daniel section based on Kyle's route here https://climberkyle.com/2019/06/30/the-alpine-lakes-crest-traverse/ https://caltopo.com/m/U1TVV Seems like a nice 5 day trip with variety of terrain, snow fields and nice summit of Hinman/ Daniel

Scramblin Rover

Scramblin Rover
PostTue Apr 16, 2024 7:28 pm 
It'll be interesting to see what trips others suggest, but I think your Spider Gap/Napeequa idea is good. If you do that, definitely go to the Napeequa - it's gorgeous! Image Lake is also a good side trip.