Forum Index > Trip Reports > Gregory Mine, Cowen Creek, Little River, Olympic NP
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hiking addict
Cooper Warpula

Hiking addict
Cooper Warpula
PostThu Mar 10, 2022 6:47 pm 
For those of you who love history and abandoned mines and lots of relics, here's an interesting off-trail scramble to the long-abandoned Gregory Mine. The mines are located about 0.6 miles off the Little River Trail right next to Cowen Creek and are reached by an old readily followed miners' way trail.
The Little River Trail, located less than 15 minutes from Port Angles, leads 8 miles up the south branch of Little River to the Hurricane Ridge Trail. About 1.8 miles in, a footlog spans the river. On the other side, the mouth of Cowen Creek can be seen about 50 feet downstream, it's very easy to notice. A way trail starts here and leads up to Gregory Mine. When I went here on January 22, 2022, a huge old-growth log obscures the turnoff.
If you climb over the log or go around it you will easily see a way trail headed west. The way trail is unmaintained but relatively easy to follow. The way trail crosses Cowen Creek on a big windfall log. The way trail crosses the creek about every 0.1 miles, usually using a big footlog to cross. A major creek enters from the south at 0.3 miles, keep right on the main creek. This creek marks the halfway point from the main trail to Gregory Mine.
In about 0.4 miles the route becomes faint after crossing the creek many times. In about 0.5 miles, an old piston air compressor is just across Cowen Creek. Admire this relic, that dates back to the late 1800s to the early 1900s. The piston air compressor was made by Chicago Pneumatic Tool Co. I'm not sure if this company is still around or not. Right after the air compressor, there is a contributory creek that enters from the north that has a beautiful but seasonal cascade. Stay left on the main creek.
This contributory creek indicates you are so close to Gregory Mine! The mine at 0.6 miles in, located on the same side of the creek as the air compressor, or the opposite side of the creek from the contributary, goes back roughly 250 feet. That may sound small, but in a mine, it really isn't. A youtube video below will show you. Admire some intimidated but harmless cave crickets.
To the upper right of the main mine, there is a small shaft.
Quartz in the mine. At the back of the main mine, the muffled sound of the creek is really calming sitting there in the dark. A flashlight is required to explore it.
The other mines are located upstream. About 200 yards from the main mine, there is a flooded mine on the opposite side of the creek as Gregory Mine( not the mine in the photo that’s just a puddle ). I don't know how far the flooded mine goes back, but it's flooded, so it's likely longer than the main mine. If you bring boots along you can find out how far back it goes! The 7 other mines are located further upstream but they are short. If you want to know how to get to them write me in the comments.
About 300 yards upstream is another mine located on the north bank. You can see it above the tailings. We scrambled to this, it was difficult but worth it. I recommend the youtube video despite some bad language.
This trip report is a similar trip report to Rod Farlees, I suggest you check his out, here's the link https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=906894. His trip report shows what they were mining, more detailed directions.

To have a good life, you need to take risks.

reststep, RodF
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Mar 13, 2022 12:31 am 
Hiking addict wrote:
Admire some intimidated but harmless cave crickets.
I wasn't familiar with cave crickets when I went to the Gregory last year. I didn't notice them until I was at the back of the mine. I've never run out of a mine so fast in my life lol.gif I didn't learn until later that they were harmless.

Foist, Hiking addict
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message