Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Kids these days don't know computers
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Apr 14, 2022 8:00 pm 
See Image Here 🙂 We've all heard this joke before, because it's been true for decades. There are a lot of versions of this joke, my personal one is "just because I'm a programmer doesn't mean I know how to fix your printer." But computers got too easy to use, and now you don't have to understand how they work to see cartoons, play video games, and chat with your friends. In the old days this stuff was harder to accomplish, took several steps, and required at least basic foundational concepts. Just my observations, I would love to hear others' thoughts on this? Hat tip to zephyr for posting the comic and putting this in my head. smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Apr 14, 2022 9:05 pm 
Can't believe you just re-posted my comic. Good grief. ~z

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Apr 14, 2022 9:35 pm 
I miss the days when internet poker was completely legal...911 was it's demise, as the crackdown on wire transfers was part of the anti-terrorism bill. It was so cool, I could enter a tournament for $6 and win 1k...took about 8 hours though.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Apr 14, 2022 9:46 pm 
zephyr wrote:
Can't believe you just re-posted my comic. Good grief. ~z
I'm sorry, I didn't realize you would mind. I removed it.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Apr 14, 2022 9:46 pm 
I think the % of people that actually understand how computers work isn't much different now than it was in the past. The number of people that use computers on a daily basis has vastly expanded in the last several decades. I say this as someone has interviewed many people but only hired about 1 in 50 -- all of these candidates had computer science degrees.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Apr 14, 2022 9:48 pm 
Thanks. ~z

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostFri Apr 15, 2022 5:47 am 
as to the repost of someone's post should ask permission first.. i for one would like to see what the post was so i can understand the follow up idea,,,,,,as to not many people understand computers it is like not many people understand what makes a car run...most just get in turn the key and off they go but don't know how pistons have rings that need to installed in a certain way or that there is a timing mark that needs to be set in a certain way. I used to program years ago, took many programs apart to understand how they made the computer do what it did. years ago it was fairly easy. 8bit became 16bit then 32 and now 64bit. people don' t realize how much more there is to that computer chip than before.....early computers ran about 4mhz or so but now a quantum leap to well over 4ghz... like putting a jet engine in your car. going from no hard drives when everything was stored on tape of some kind, to drives now hold every piece of software i ever used or wanted to use and still barely touch the total capacity of the hard drive....i have 132 of my fav movies on a 320gb sata drive and plenty of room for more...and the bells and whistles keep coming,,,and i don't think the end is in sight .... yet..

neek

neek
PostFri Apr 15, 2022 6:54 am 
zephyr wrote:
Good grief
It's an honor to have an idea you raised discussed, appropriate to do it in a different thread so as to not sidetrack the original, and normal to quote. Also your post was just a re-post from The New Yorker, which you didn't credit.
Cyclopath wrote:
But computers got too easy to use, and now you don't have to understand how they work to see cartoons, play video games, and chat with your friends. In the old days this stuff was harder to accomplish, took several steps, and required at least basic foundational concepts.
This is precisely one of my concerns with raising a kid in modern times. By age 11 I had mastered most aspects of the machine and was learning assembler, just because that seemed like the logical next step. Now when there's a computer problem my 11 year old comes running to me for help, because he's conditioned for instant gratification and has never been forced to crack the hood to do anything interesting. And try explaining the Internet to a kid. When you were born before it existed and grew up as it developed, you naturally picked up the foundational basics. Now they just want the game to work, and if it doesn't in a few seconds, they move on to the next one. This may just be a case of a "kids these days" attitude, but think of other knowledge that is lost over generations. I don't know how to work on cars the way my parents did (ok, not my parents, but you get the point). They didn't know how to hunt the way their parents did. And so on. We need to forget to move forward. But at some point it comes back to haunt us. Think of the demand for COBOL programmers in 1999. Maybe old time Unix guys will come to the rescue in 2037. Really though, I think the kids will be OK. As long as we leave them a planet that is actually inhabitable.

Cyclopath
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Apr 15, 2022 8:53 am 
When I worked at Texas Instruments using dBase, I had to type in a long, long, LONG string of criteria to get a report. Knowing that, I was able to clean up input so I would get good information, and not suffer from "garbage in, garbage out." Now, software is like a McDonald's menu, which is nice, so far as that goes. But it makes it more difficult to understand how a database works, how it pulls data, what it wants from the user. When you had to actually ask for the information in a certain way, you got to think like it, and if you know how it thinks, the input is better. Now, input by multiple people who don't know what they're doing makes for a crappy search, because so many people don't understand it. I'm constantly combing through reports to look for creative input, and correcting it. Sometimes it's cute and creative.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

Cyclopath
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Apr 15, 2022 9:05 am 
Back in the day I wrote a program in Lotus to manage my office accounts I expanded it to prepare reports for taxes and other matters. It was an interesting project and I learned a lot. Now you can get free apps that do all that. Similarly back in the day most everyone could repair and maintain a Model T. Which required a lot of maintenance. Now both cars and computers are so complex so as to require teams of experts for all but the most basic tasks. I can’t repair any of my trucks computers or debug millions of lines of assembly language even if I could access either. I for one embrace our electronic overlords.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

Cyclopath
Badger

Badger
PostFri Apr 15, 2022 9:14 am 

seawallrunner
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Apr 15, 2022 9:40 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Back in the day I wrote a program in Lotus to manage my office accounts I expanded it to prepare reports for taxes and other matters. It was an interesting project and I learned a lot. Now you can get free apps that do all that
Unfortunately, those apps are free because they're taking your data and selling it. frown.gif

dixon
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Apr 15, 2022 1:48 pm 
I never touched assembly. I know how it works, and accomplishing anything complete with it seems hopeless, so I never saw it as a worthwhile endeavor. But I can do RSA with a calculator.

dixon
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostFri Apr 15, 2022 1:56 pm 
At school we have annual mandated testing, which is given on a Chromebook. I used to be worried that 1st graders would have issues working with the program. Silly me. embarassedlaugh.gif Likewise, I've asked 4th grade students why they were so tired. "I was up until midnight." "Why were you up until midnight?" "Oh, I was watching YouTube videos." shakehead.gif (To be fair, when I was that age, I was probably in bed with my 9-volt AM Sylvania transistor radio, seeing what station I could pull in.) dizzy.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Apr 15, 2022 2:11 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
I never touched assembly. I know how it works, and accomplishing anything complete with it seems hopeless, so I never saw it as a worthwhile endeavor.
By the mid-70s operating systems were no longer being developed exclusively in assembly. But assembly was still used in operating systems development for specific tasks, typically where interacting with hardware is required. Very occasionally subsections of code with high performance impact would get rewritten in assembly, using the assembly generated by the C compiler as a starting point. However this has become increasingly rare as the quality of the code emitted by the compiler has vastly improved in recent decades and big advances have been made in post compilation optimizers that automatically do the majority of what used to be "hand optimized". The last time I wrote assembly code professionally was in the early 90s, for a device driver.

rossb, Cyclopath