Forum Index > Trail Talk > Woman retrieves phone in vault toilet and falls in head first!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012
PostThu Apr 21, 2022 12:12 pm 
I knew of a couple instances when phones were dropped in the toilet on my PCT thru hike. I did not even want the details on how they were retrieved though but the hikers did get them out.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostThu Apr 21, 2022 12:24 pm 
Traumatizing...

kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Apr 21, 2022 2:00 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
Traumatizing...
For sure. And it sounds like it could have been worse, health-wise. Don't we all have synced contacts and photos saved to the cloud? What are we actually losing, besides the hardware? Going down an outhouse head first is not worth the $1000 or whatever we're spending on phones these days.

Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostThu Apr 21, 2022 2:16 pm 
kiliki wrote:
it could have been worse, health-wise.
What's the incubation period for hepatitis and e-coli?

kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Apr 21, 2022 2:44 pm 
I don't know, but,
Quote:
Rescue crews strongly recommended that she seek medical attention after being exposed to human waste, but the woman declined. The Brinnon Fire Department said, "the patient was extremely fortunate not to be overcome by toxic gases or sustain injury." The woman thanked the first responders and continued on her journey back to California.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Apr 21, 2022 3:22 pm 
kiliki wrote:
Don't we all have synced contacts and photos saved to the cloud? What are we actually losing, besides the hardware?
No. A lot of people (including yours truly) don't sync this stuff to the cloud for various reasons. One is that cloud storage costs, at least if you use much. Also, you need some kind of data connection for this to work, and those are harder to come by in ONF. It might be that all the photos from her vacation only existed on that phone. And who knows what other apps she had on it, and how their data works? I still would have let it go, personally, except that I wouldn't have taken my phone into the outhouse in the first place. But it's not the case that everybody just has everything auto backed up now, unfortunately.

kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Apr 21, 2022 3:39 pm 
I wasn't even really thinking of every last photo including ones she took 30 seconds ago, but phone contacts, special saved photos which anyone can send to another computer if they aren't in the cloud...ok yeah she loses her photos from Mt Walker, but she's probably not fondly looking through those again anyway. I wonder why she was certain that the plunge didn't kill her phone. There's a lot of liquid down there, presumably.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Apr 21, 2022 4:25 pm 
kiliki wrote:
I don't know, but,
Quote:
Rescue crews strongly recommended that she seek medical attention after being exposed to human waste, but the woman declined. The Brinnon Fire Department said, "the patient was extremely fortunate not to be overcome by toxic gases or sustain injury." The woman thanked the first responders and continued on her journey back to California.
Exposed to the expelled. I've had human waste exposure itself to me many, many times. Never needed medical attention. How bout just say'n like it is "Recommend getting medical attention after coming in contact with"

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Apr 21, 2022 6:11 pm 
kiliki wrote:
ok yeah she loses her photos from Mt Walker, but she's probably not fondly looking through those again anyway.
This was worth a good laugh, thanks! You're 10,000% right. I guess the one positive is she outdid The Angry Hiker and his calendar submission of the Mt Si Crapper.

Anne Elk
Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostThu Apr 21, 2022 8:37 pm 
Every time I use a toilet like the one on Mt. Walker I always think that I wouldn’t want to accidentally drop my phone down the hole. So, I always make an effort to put it in the zippered pocket on the jacket I am wearing or, if I have a backpack put it in that. I still can’t wrap my brain around the fact that she declined further medical care. I would have made a beeline to the nearest hospital and then the nearest shower to take a 1 hour shower.

If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. - Lincoln
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Apr 21, 2022 8:49 pm 
Olympic Hiker wrote:
Every time I use a toilet like the one on Mt. Walker I always think that I wouldn’t want to accidentally drop my phone down the hole.
I've always been paranoid about my keys falling out of a pocket; I zip 'em up. But that might be easier to fish out with a stick. Ugh.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostFri Apr 22, 2022 12:09 am 
Incidents like this were commonplace on the eastern side of the baker-snoqualumie circa 2006-2009.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Apr 22, 2022 4:13 am 
thanks, Anne.... I woke from a dead sleep and your message alerted me to this important breaking news story. I can only say that notwithstanding this happening on 4/20, it's still no excuse for this level of idiocy.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
RichP

RichP
PostFri Apr 22, 2022 6:16 am 
This story is making its way around the world. These guys seem to be taking it all in stride though. https://www.facebook.com/brinnonfire/posts/363675292462100

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Apr 22, 2022 6:17 am 
It just goes to show just how attached people are to their phones...

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.