Forum Index > Trip Reports > Florence Peak and Sweet Peak (MRNP) 4/23/22
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun Apr 24, 2022 5:25 pm 
These peaks have been on my radar since sneekapeak's report back in '16. Saturday felt like the day to head up there. I drove to the Carbon River trailhead and started hiking around 6:30. The trail starts switchbacks up quite a bit, passing a waterfall at around 1.5 miles. Well, "waterfall" might be a stretch, but a stream crossing at least. Snow started soon after and there were tracks to follow. I stayed in boots until a small clearing where I started sinking in a bit more so I stopped to put on snowshoes. The tracks in the snow stopped at Alki Crest and I was left breaking trail on my own the rest of the way. This was fine, in part by adding a little extra difficulty to what turned out to be an easier than expected day, and also because I love the feeling of undisturbed snowy forest. It really added to the whole experience. On the way up there were sunbreaks through the trees and plenty of stuff to look at along the crest. It was light brush all along the crest to the summit, pretty easy to navigate through. The false summit block was quite a bit steeper, but the frozen morning snow gave me a supportive crust to snowshoe up. From the false summit I got my first view of Rainier, and it was looking good!
Dilapidated footbridge
Dilapidated footbridge
Snowshoes on here
Snowshoes on here
Light through the trees
Light through the trees
Alki Crest
Alki Crest
Dappled
Dappled
Mossy
Mossy
Small scene that caught my eye
Small scene that caught my eye
Clearing before the false summit
Clearing before the false summit
First views
First views
False summit block
False summit block
Rainier from the false summit
Rainier from the false summit
The way over to the true summit is a little dicey. Steep drop offs, and some class 3 for the true summit block. Many parties don't bother to head over to the true summit (views are just as good from the false summit), but you know I had to! I switched to crampons and axe for the trip over, but neither were helpful really. It wasn't too bad, a little spicy and care needs to be taken but it was easier than expected. I hung out for well over an hour on the summit. It was calm and sunny up there, no wind, and incredibly peaceful. Eventually it was time to begin my descent.
True summit from the false summit
True summit from the false summit
True summit block
True summit block
Summit skeletons
Summit skeletons
False summit from true summit
False summit from true summit
Rainier black and white
Rainier black and white
Mount Rainier, Tolmie lookout on the left
Mount Rainier, Tolmie lookout on the left
Echo Rock and Tolmie lookout
Echo Rock and Tolmie lookout
Heading down from the summit
Heading down from the summit
I decided to add on Sweet Peak on the way back. The ridge over was pretty easy to navigate, with fun open forest and a few downed trees to scramble around. The summit of Sweet was just a forested high point, no views, but another peak for the books. I didn't stay more than a minute or two and began heading back. I GPS'ed my way back to the trail and began my descent. I passed more people than expected on the way back, and the trailhead was packed. Not surprised for a sunny spring Saturday! These were a nice couple of peaks, I enjoyed them.
On the way to Sweet Peak
On the way to Sweet Peak
Looking back up at Florence
Looking back up at Florence
Chunky
Chunky
Ridge to Sweet
Ridge to Sweet
Sweet Peak summit
Sweet Peak summit
Heading down
Heading down
Tall tree in a clearing
Tall tree in a clearing
Waterfall
Waterfall
Trail out
Trail out
~8.5 miles 4k+ gain 6:45

zeldathewelder, ozzy, fourteen410, Now I Fly, GaliWalker, zimmertr, day_hike_mike, flatsqwerl, Nancyann, abkoch3, jaysway  KascadeFlat
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostMon Apr 25, 2022 2:51 pm 
What a nice trip! Been meaning to get up Florence for a long time. Sounds like the access issues at Carbon River with the washout are resolved now?

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.
Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostMon Apr 25, 2022 6:03 pm 
Great report! I've been interested in going there some time. What's the deal with entrance fees here? Can you park outside the park boundary and walk in or do you still have to pay?

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostMon Apr 25, 2022 6:06 pm 
Thanks for the report/conditiions, we were talking about it this weekend, it's an early season favorite. Those trees................

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostMon Apr 25, 2022 7:34 pm 
The washout from this winter has been repaired and the entrance is open again! There's a short trail from the parking area around the washout to the old road on the other side. As for entrance fees, you know I'm not really sure... I believe the parking area is just outside the park, at the park boundary. There is no ranger booth to drive past and pay a fee. I tried to look it up online, but it was really vague. I didn't put my American the Beautiful pass on my dash (didn't see any signs that parking fees were required and didn't even think about it) and I didn't get a ticket. So... I'm not sure, really.

Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostMon Apr 25, 2022 10:19 pm 
Thanks for the info. When I googled it I just found a page saying that you could buy an America the Beautiful pass at the guard station depending on hours. I've only been to Rainier once, Sunrise in September, and nobody was at the guard station. I wasn't sure if you needed to pay to walk in from places like this or Lake Eleanor.