Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > English Ivy
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostMon Apr 25, 2022 3:30 pm 
In Connecticut we planted Pachysandra and Periwinkle as ground cover. Pachysandra is a great place to sprinkle leaves in the fall to get rid of them. The Pachysandra grow like mad with all that good stuff in the soil. Fisherman note: worms love that environment as well. Sometimes we'd plant English ivy in solitary beds because it grows so fast. One needs to be careful because it will eventually grow beyond the bed's borders. English ivy can also wreck havoc on chimneys and force their way inside houses like at my moms house. The English ivy grew under the aluminum siding pulling it away from the house and entered the house via two metal basement windows. It also grew up the chimney. Later she had to have work done on the chimney. It is beautiful but destructive. Here in Seattle ivy grows up trees and fully engulfs them. On slopes their added weight can cause trees to lean toward the downward slope. I've read some argue that the ivy can do good but all I see is it being a bully. IMHO On the ground they cover everything like a tide that never retreats until volunteers painstakingly remove it. I like to walk amongst the trees and try to find the largest vine. I've found I am not alone. Others throughout time have also been at the aid of our friends the trees.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Apr 25, 2022 10:20 pm 
To get a good look at how bad it can get with ivy, drive down the 110th St. access to Carkeek Park (off of 3rd NW). The slopes and nearly all the trees are just covered in the stuff. Recently one homeowner on a slope above that road paid to have a commercial outfit remove all the ivy, and lay down that degradable netting that preserves slope stability (I'm assuming something useful was replanted). You can't miss it on one of the first curves on the way down to the park, on the right side. There are dozens of plants (including ornamentals) that are highly invasive out of their native habitats. ("Thugs" as we gardeners call them). 10 Most invasive plants by region Ornamental invasive species And we have non other than Luther Burbank to thank for that most invasive of NW vines, the Himalayan blackberry.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

day_hike_mike
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Apr 26, 2022 2:55 pm 
There is a good reason why it has been declared a noxious weed in both Oregon and Washington. It should be eradicated in every case where it exists. Repeated applications of strong glyphosate solutions will eventually take it out. == Actually the only reason I logged on was because somebody told me Joe Biden signed some executive order that calls for an "inventory of old trees", but I see it apparently hasn't caught anyone's attention here yet. Should be interesting. == If it looks like English Ivy, kill it.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostWed Apr 27, 2022 11:16 am 
I hate English ivy with a passion. We've removed most of it from our yard along with most of the Himalayan blackberries, and a good portion of the holly. The largest diameter pieces of ivy were cut, split, and put in the firewood pile.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch

InFlight
Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Apr 29, 2022 3:40 pm 
It's a bully for sure!

mike

mike
PostFri Apr 29, 2022 7:31 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
10 Most invasive plants by region[
Why isn't cheat grass on any of the western lists? It's probably way past too late to do anything about it.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSat Apr 30, 2022 8:55 pm 
Brian Curtis wrote:
I hate English ivy with a passion. We've removed most of it from our yard along with most of the Himalayan blackberries, and a good portion of the holly. The largest diameter pieces of ivy were cut, split, and put in the firewood pile.
My house had ridiculous amounts of ivy planted. I’ve been removing it from one bed/area at a time. A large garden fork does wonders for loosing up the soil to make the it easier to remove the ivy roots and all. I seem to get about 95% of it the first time through. If you regularly go back over it every few months, it’s easy to remove the last of it to completely irradiated it. Blackberry need to be dug out with a shovel. It quickly creates a deep center root that needs to be removed. Otherwise it will come back.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSun May 01, 2022 9:10 am 
There's a group in Portland that does nothing but remove ivy from Forest Park....a 4000 plus acre park in Northeast Portland. They call themselves "The NO Ivy league." cool.gif cool.gif lol.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Dick B

Dick B
PostSun May 01, 2022 10:59 am 
We have a particularly obnoxious plant down here on the south Oregon coast called gorse. It is mainly concentrated around the town of Bandon and was introduced from Ireland by the towns founder back in the late 1800s. The plant was a major contributor to the towns burning in 1936. It is almost impossible to irradicate, and it's only positive feature is that it is in the pea family so has some nitrogen fixing capabilities.

Brucester

Brucester
PostSun May 01, 2022 3:47 pm 
lookout bob wrote:
There's a group in Portland that does nothing but remove ivy from Forest Park.
Thank you for posting this as I've been working at PDX off and on. I'd be a nice way to meet folks while doing a good deed. Thank you for the idea! Bruce

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostMon May 09, 2022 5:32 pm 
Brucester wrote:
Here in Seattle ivy grows up trees and fully engulfs them. On slopes their added weight can cause trees to lean toward the downward slope.
Yep, I've seen this happening along Puget Sound - I think it's a combination of the weight and the trees becoming unhealthy due to being strangled by the ivy. Unfortunately, a lot of people seem to have developed the misconception that it's the trees themselves that pull the slope down, so they cut them the trees down or hack their limbs off to prevent them falling over. The result is more erosion and slides, yet somehow these landowners never make the connection between their actions and the consequences of those actions. Worse still, they teach their neighbors the same flawed line of thinking.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/