Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Americans are moving out of urban counties like never before
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostFri May 06, 2022 9:39 am 
The map makers have an interesting interpretation of "urban." The county I grew up in in Pennsyltucky, wherein the largest town (of two) has a population of 2,300, and wherein the first day of deer season is a school holiday, is colored urban.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri May 06, 2022 12:47 pm 
CC wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
Well I disagree right back, Covid never even entered my mind as the "Myriad of Reasons"....imo, THE main reason is safety concerns because of the rise in crime, violence, open drug use, homelessness and insane property tax levels. Covid is a temporary thing and has pretty much run it's course. The problem seems to be much worse in the inner cities of Blue states where the leaders take an especially soft approach to crime and other societal issues.
The highest per-capita rates of drug overdose deaths are in rural areas, e.g. West Virginia, New Hampshire, and Kentucky are the top three states. But I guess they do their drugs secretly rather than in the open, so it's OK to move there.
Well, I would imagine drug use and over-dose death are not the main reasons one would want to leave the inner cities, as I said THE main reason is safety concerns when burning, looting and violence are pretty much left unchecked as they were in DT Seattle and Portland. Sure there is violence and other issues in inner cities such as Dallas, etc, but the authorities actually try to do something about it, not just turn the other cheek and chock it up to "Mostly Peaceful Protesting".

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat May 07, 2022 1:41 pm 
∆ disinformation is effective.

kiliki
ChuckG

ChuckG
PostSun May 08, 2022 8:51 pm 
Been there and done that! Left the Seattle area, then the Bend area to live in rural SD. I never thought I would leave western WA, but to my thinking it gradually left me years ago. I miss the Seattle of the 1980's, took several of the Mountaineers courses back then, remember shopping at the defunct Wilderness Sports and REI when they were in Bellevue (and the scent of the cedar bark from the nursery next door) and hiking up West Tiger 3 when it had sweeping views of Puget Sound (as discussed in another recent thread). The gloom ultimately did us in, as did the deterioration of the culture (in so many ways). East Bend was great, but the west side was becoming something different, and the governance of the western states became to totalitarian for our liking. They say you can run but you can't hide, but there are better places and we found one, for now anyway.

dixon
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue May 10, 2022 12:50 am 
Is this showing people moving into new subdivisions? Funny how there aren’t any 80 acre single family home developments in Seattle in last couple years. Would a better title be Urban Areas Continue to Expand Across Municipal Limits?

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue May 10, 2022 7:53 am 
ChuckG wrote:
rural SD
Looking at SD on the map on page 1, I would surmise that the Black Hills are gentrifying due to an influx of work-from-homers because of the scenery and recreation opportunities, while the flat farming areas to the east are depopulating. Same trend as Bend.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue May 10, 2022 9:28 am 
Well If King county is losing population, it certainly isn't reflected in real estate values. The Zestimate on my place in Bellevue has nearly doubled since the start of the pandemic. I don't know how my kids are going to buy a house, even with a lot of help on the down-payment from me.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue May 10, 2022 2:45 pm 
Randito wrote:
I don't know how my kids are going to buy a house
Where there is a will, there is a way. I know a couple who many years ago bought 5 acres of vacant land out east of Granite Falls and lived in a hunters tent with a wood stove and pallet boards for a floor. They lived in the tent for a few years while building their house and developing the land. But of course to do that one must not be spoiled, must be hardworking and resourceful. Usually millennials don't fit that criteria. smile.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
kiliki

kiliki
PostTue May 10, 2022 4:53 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
THE main reason is safety concerns when burning, looting and violence
The only people that believe that are people that don't live here that believe fabricated news. Do you live in Seattle? Look at the list of violent crime rates for US cities. That's easily found online for 2022. Juneau, Anchorage, Little Rock, Salt Lake...all considerably higher than Seattle, which isn't even in the top 100. There are lots of rust belt and southern cities and towns. And what's the inner city in Seattle? Only someone unfamiliar with the city would say that. The CD is all shiny and new these days. Inner cities, such as they ever were, have long gentrified in many places. Certainly here they did.

Cyclopath, RichP, Sculpin, zimmertr
kiliki

kiliki
PostTue May 10, 2022 4:58 pm 
Randito wrote:
Well If King county is losing population, it certainly isn't reflected in real estate values. The Zestimate on my place in Bellevue has nearly doubled since the start of the pandemic. I don't know how my kids are going to buy a house, even with a lot of help on the down-payment from me.
I'd be down with some population loss. We've been trying, more or less, to move out of what was our little starter home since around 2012. The market in Seattle has never slowed, it just gets crazier. My neighbor just listed her house for $2.1 and it sold in 2 days for $2.85. That is not what would be happening if people were "fleeing" the city.

zimmertr
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue May 10, 2022 4:59 pm 
kiliki wrote:
The CD is all shiny and new these days.
Not to mention South Lake Union. Take a Google Street View tour of that area. ~z

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue May 10, 2022 4:59 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
But of course to do that one must not be spoiled, must be hardworking and resourceful. Usually millennials don't fit that criteria. smile.gif
Your making a lot of assumptions their bub. My son is a millennial and he has three kids, his wife is a school teacher and he is a public defender. They make decent salaries , but they are competing with with Amazon Bros, Microsofties and GooglePlexers in the Seattle real estate market. My son's job requires in person appearances at the King County Courthouse in downtown Seattle. So commuting from Granite Falls isn't exactly practical.

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue May 10, 2022 5:19 pm 
kiliki wrote:
I'd be down with some population loss. We've been trying, more or less, to move out of what was our little starter home since around 2012. The market in Seattle has never slowed, it just gets crazier. My neighbor just listed her house for $2.1 and it sold in 2 days for $2.85
Out here in the center of Whidbey Island a house up the street from me sold for $800k 3 years ago. They listed it a month ago for $1.3 million and it sold in a week for $1.5. I think this situation is everywhere in the Puget Sound area.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue May 10, 2022 9:33 pm 
kiliki wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
THE main reason is safety concerns when burning, looting and violence
The only people that believe that are people that don't live here that believe fabricated news.
O' well my bad, I guess all the burning, looting, violence, and destruction in Seattle and Portland a year or so ago was all fake news, I mainly watch KIRO or KING5. Good to know they are not to be believed. This thread title should read...."Smart people are moving out of urban counties while the getting is good".

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue May 10, 2022 9:54 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
O' well my bad, I guess all the burning, looting, violence, and destruction in Seattle and Portland a year or so ago was all fake news, I mainly watch KIRO or KING5. Good to know they are not to be believed. This thread title should read...."Smart people are moving out of urban counties while the getting is good".
Stay in Idaho, it is completely safe there. https://www.krem.com/article/news/local/kootenai-county/293-7165817b-e6ef-4d95-90f8-76f12b4c7585