Forum Index > Trail Talk > Spring 2022 More trail head break ins.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon May 02, 2022 1:01 pm 
Songs2 wrote:
Zephyr, To your original point,
Songs2 wrote:
this might work better if made a sticky by Tom.
Sticky blindness.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon May 02, 2022 1:42 pm 
Snowdog wrote:
I am prepared to get teased wink.gif , but I was wondering about all those car alarms going off at once? 7+ at Mailbox, more at Cougar Mtn? Wouldn't someone hear all that? Or perhaps it is a case of no one around to hear?
Someone else on here would know better than me, but I don't think the alarms will sound unless forcible entry--like prying the door. I believe one can break glass and not sound the alarm. Maybe this depends on the make/model/year of the car. As far as a tease goes, I remember for the longest time listening intently as I descended the mountain and got closer to the trail head. "Is there an alarm going off?" Now it's replaced by anxiously scanning the ground around the vehicle as I approach. paranoid.gif ~z

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon May 02, 2022 3:37 pm 
fourteen410 wrote:
Not a break in specifically, but be careful around Humpback: https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report-2022-04-30-7701087426
That area is so skeezy. frown.gif There's good recreation nearby too which really makes it a shame.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon May 02, 2022 9:23 pm 
Bramble_Scramble wrote:
I'm not sure if I'm remembering this right but wasn't there a case a while back where LE set up a bait car and was able to charge them with theft of government property?
If the incident you are referring to was in Mt. Rainier, there here's a story about it--eleven years ago. A successful operation using a bait car. The culprits were a couple from Enumclaw. ~z

Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostMon May 02, 2022 9:59 pm 
zephyr wrote:
If the incident you are referring to was in Mt. Rainier, there here's a story about it--eleven years ago. A successful operation using a bait car. The culprits were a couple from Enumclaw. ~z
That's the one!

crock

crock
PostMon May 02, 2022 10:17 pm 
zephyr wrote:
Quoting from the article; "Jamie David Spain, 39, and Dawn Marie Gale, 44, both residents of Enumclaw, Washington, were arrested and charged with theft of government property, theft of personal property and malicious mischief. If convicted the defendants face up to ten years in prison and a $250,000 fine." This begs the question; were they convicted and if so, was there any fine or jail time? If not, then the lesson the scofflaws learned was they can commit theft with impunity.

Mike Collins
Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostMon May 02, 2022 11:05 pm 
crock wrote:
Quoting from the article; "Jamie David Spain, 39, and Dawn Marie Gale, 44, both residents of Enumclaw, Washington, were arrested and charged with theft of government property, theft of personal property and malicious mischief. If convicted the defendants face up to ten years in prison and a $250,000 fine." This begs the question; were they convicted and if so, was there any fine or jail time? If not, then the lesson the scofflaws learned was they can commit theft with impunity.
That's a good point. I couldn't find anything on google about a conviction. Jamie David Spain was arrested again in 2020 for cashing stolen checks in Benton County so I guess he's still at it.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue May 03, 2022 6:49 am 
Maybe we could push the dialogue about the criminals over to the other thread and keep this one more about current and future incidents. So that when someone is trying to get a sense of the ongoing threat, they don't have to wade through a bunch of dialogue. s’il vous plaît ~z

altasnob

altasnob
PostTue May 03, 2022 6:57 am 
Ok, moved my response to other thread

wyattmullen
Wyatt

wyattmullen
Wyatt
PostTue May 03, 2022 10:27 pm 
Sounds like they've moved to drilling and draining gas tanks at the I-90 trailheads. I know someone who had their tank drilled on Friday at Mount Si and it sounds like when he stopped afterwards at one of the nearby repair shops it was the fifth car last week they had seen whose gas tank had been hit at local trailheads.

Fedor
Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostFri May 06, 2022 7:26 pm 
Squak Mountain, Margaret's way Tuesday, April 26. Started hike at 3 PM and returned at 6pm and my right window was smashed. They grabbed my leather mans knife and the leather case and then dropped it on the ground. They took nothing else. Multiple glass piles on the ground in the parking lot at Margaret's way and another van had its window smashed.

Fedor

Fedor
PostFri May 06, 2022 10:03 pm 
https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report-2022-05-06-1887615927
Quote:
Another warning about cars being broken into…my car and every car across the road were broken into…windows smashed, cars ransacked.
https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report-2022-05-06-6660551856
Quote:
We parked at the Redtown trailhead parking lot and car window was smashed when we got back. In fact, all the cars that parked in that row had smashed windows.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri May 06, 2022 11:55 pm 
Bramble_Scramble wrote:
That's a good point. I couldn't find anything on google about a conviction.
I found a record that he was sentenced to 24 months prison and 36 months supervision for the Mt Rainier break ins. https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCOURTS-waed-2_13-cr-00153/pdf/USCOURTS-waed-2_13-cr-00153-4.pdf Serving time doesn't teach one how to make an honest living.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat May 07, 2022 6:15 am 
Randito wrote:
Serving time doesn't teach one how to make an honest living.
I would change that to "Doesn't always teach one...".....they are known as "Reformatories" and "Correctional Facilities"....and there are cases where it does actually happen, sure it's not common.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostSat May 07, 2022 8:26 am 
In case you are wondering, they are probably using a spring loaded center punch. (used for marking metal before you drill something so the drill bit doesn't wander). It just so happens the center punch works perfectly to break windows into a million pieces!