Forum Index > Trail Talk > Spring 2022 More trail head break ins.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
CS

CS
PostMon May 23, 2022 8:22 pm 
I wonder how they’re so good at not being seen. Maybe they wait in the lot in a Subaru for the coast to become clear. If so, you could take a picture of the line of cars in a lot, before you leave and after you return. The car(s) that are missing after a break in may show a pattern.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon May 23, 2022 9:10 pm 
Need more teslas with sentry mode.

CS
Fedor

Fedor
PostTue May 24, 2022 6:40 pm 
Quote:
Went to the trailhead(Margaret's Way) today around 12:15 and all but 2 of the 12 cars in the parking lot had windows smashed. Unfortunately we decided not to stay and do the hike and risk our windows being broken. An officer happened to pull in the parking lot doing regular patrol and told us they know the 2 men who are doing this but they have been unable to catch them yet and are not allowed to chase them with their vehicle for ‘petty crime’ or ‘property damage’ (I forget which verbiage he used, but it was 1 of the 2). Hopefully the county will do something to up patrol or have an officer stay in the area if they know these are high crime areas.
Quote:
I'm organizing volunteers to help watch the parking lot and hopefully deter the criminals doing this. Please consider signing up for a shift at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0e49abac2ca7f4ce9-margarets
I forgot to post this one earlier. https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report-2022-05-20-0468790499

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue May 24, 2022 6:46 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
Need more teslas with sentry mode.
Need some exploding bait cars. hockeygrin.gif
Fedor wrote:
I forgot to post this one earlier. https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report-2022-05-20-0468790499
Imo we are way too soft on crime in this country, but then that's a topic for a entirely different discussion.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

thunderhead
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue May 24, 2022 7:39 pm 
Trailhead break-ins wouldn't be a thing if everybody took public transit to the trail. I guess eventually public ownership of cars will be too expensive for anyone but billionaires and we'll all use self driving robotic Ubers. It'll drive other people around while you hike, and you'll call another one with your Starlink implant. We'll all tell our grandchildren how it used to be illegal to drink a beer after a long hike until you got home, and they won't believe us.

CS

CS
PostTue May 24, 2022 7:41 pm 
I've been considering trying to do a backpacking trip using FlixBus + Taxi for the last mile. The bus only runs once a day, so not viable for a day hike though.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue May 24, 2022 8:02 pm 
CS wrote:
I wonder how they’re so good at not being seen. Maybe they wait in the lot in a Subaru for the coast to become clear. If so, you could take a picture of the line of cars in a lot, before you leave and after you return. The car(s) that are missing after a break in may show a pattern.
I am thinking that the Sheriff's and the FS Rangers have somewhat of a routine as to when they are on patrol. Some of the local tweekers out on the loop live right on the highway, so it would be pretty easy for them to monitor their comings and goings. Tweeker residences are pretty easy to spot, there are a few places that have fairly large lots, yet their beat up vehicles camp trailers and misc junk spill out nearly onto the highway. LE just removed one guy who was squatting on land for nearly 2 years, until the owner finally received a fine-cleanup notice in the mail. The amount of junk these people accumulate is pretty amazing.
Cyclopath wrote:
Trailhead break-ins wouldn't be a thing if everybody took public transit to the trail. I guess eventually public ownership of cars will be too expensive for anyone but billionaires and we'll all use self driving robotic Ubers. It'll drive other people around while you hike, and you'll call another one with your Starlink implant. We'll all tell our grandchildren how it used to be illegal to drink a beer after a long hike until you got home, and they won't believe us.
Maybe in your lifetime, not likely in mine.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed May 25, 2022 9:45 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I am thinking that the Sheriff's and the FS Rangers have somewhat of a routine as to when they are on patrol. Some of the local tweekers out on the loop live right on the highway, so it would be pretty easy for them to monitor their comings and goings. Tweeker residences are pretty easy to spot, there are a few places that have fairly large lots, yet their beat up vehicles camp trailers and misc junk spill out nearly onto the highway. LE just removed one guy who was squatting on land for nearly 2 years, until the owner finally received a fine-cleanup notice in the mail. The amount of junk these people accumulate is pretty amazing.
Chief Joseph wrote:
I always thought I was 30 years older than you.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed May 25, 2022 11:49 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
I always thought I was 30 years older than you.
You would be dead and gone.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed May 25, 2022 1:29 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
You would be dead and gone.
How old are you?

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed May 25, 2022 4:31 pm 
I was born in '61 and will be 61 on Saturday.

Cyclopath
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed May 25, 2022 7:16 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I was born in '61 and will be 61 on Saturday.
Well it looks like you've earned the right to call me junior. lol.gif

Chief Joseph
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri May 27, 2022 9:19 am 
Happy Birthday, CJ. (birthday greeting sent via p/m) wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."