Forum Index > Trail Talk > Spring 2022: Solutions to Trail head break ins. Are there any?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed May 11, 2022 8:22 am 
jlowder wrote:
Hi Shroder -- did you read my trailhead security proposal?
I just now read through them. These are some great ideas--that you have elaborated on in the proposal. You've put some thought into this. I hope you get the interest and support to carry this and/or similar efforts out. I like how you brought in the WTA and other outdoor groups. ~z

breadcrumb
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed May 11, 2022 5:04 pm 
The trailhead security proposal that jlowder posted contains many elements of the suggestions I made above (no emoticon for patting myself on the back). wink.gif He's done an admirable job collating statistics. The only part of his plan that I don't like is "advertising" at the TH that monitors are present. What's the point? You want to catch the perps. As it is, they're obviously not working over vehicles if anyone is in the parking lot. As mentioned previously, I suspect a small # of people are responsible for most of these crimes - I've read where this is often the case in urban areas too;. The goal should be to catch them. A go-fund-me for trail cam purchase is a great idea. Some representatives of the hiking community should approach LE with a proposal to take a multi-prong approach for monitoring and staking out the most likely TH for catching a crime in progress, based on the collected statistics. But I think 2 cams are needed: one that can capture a wide view of the lot and another surreptitiously placed somewhere on the road that could capture license plate numbers. horsey.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed May 11, 2022 6:26 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
The only part of his plan that I don't like is "advertising" at the TH that monitors are present. What's the point? You want to catch the perps.
There has been a sign regarding video surveillance in the parking lot for the Ira Spring Trailhead off I-90 for years. I don't know if it's still there or operable. I always assumed it was like a scarecrow. More brainstorming here: So a question that keeps coming to mind is: is there an ongoing LEO response to the recent break-ins? We've had this issue for years, but suddenly it seems to have blown-up and become more egregious--especially with multiple cars hit at a time. Just wondering if there is some organizational involvement beyond our forum, etc.? Maybe we are not alone. So I wonder if: 1) WTA is working this issue? The Facebook group? The Meet-up people? The Mountaineers? The Backcountry Riders? etc. 2) What about the equipment dealers? REI, Patagonia, Outdoor Research, North Face, etc.? Do they have any suggestions or interest in keeping the sport/s safe? 3) Has the Forest Service convened any round table discussions among the districts/forests? Department of Natural Resources? National Parks? etc. 4) Not sure what to say about the counties and their interest or ability to respond to these (generally) property crimes. Though returning to a vandalized/looted vehicle can be pretty traumatic/disturbing especially after coming back exhausted from a hike/climb and then having to get home safely--hours away. At the least they should see this as a safety issue--especially if tires are slashed, gas is siphoned, or vehicles are torched. ~z

Seattle_Wayne

Seattle_Wayne
PostThu May 12, 2022 6:53 am 
altasnob wrote:
Ski wrote:
the majority go unreported by the victims
You can even politely explain you do not expect the police to solve your case, or even want them to attempt to solve your case, but you are reporting just for record keeping purposes.
That'll most likely give them a huge sigh of relief and dispatch will whole heartedly agree that "they just don't have the man power". cool.gif

Vesper Peak
uww

uww
PostThu May 12, 2022 10:17 am 
I don't think there are standardized statistics on trailhead break-ins, but while obviously they occur anywhere and everywhere, I would think we are leading the pack as far as the severity of the problem. I'm basing that on the property crime rate in general- which does have statistics collected throughout the country. It's a much harder road, but changing the cultural tolerance and normalization of these types of crimes goes a lot further than stakeouts and game cameras.

fourteen410
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu May 12, 2022 11:59 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Good idea, but I can't find 4 people who like me enough to hike with me.
That's okay... I don't think I could find 4 people I like well enough to go hiking with. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."

Chief Joseph
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu May 12, 2022 12:04 pm 
uww wrote:
It's a much harder road, but changing the cultural tolerance and normalization of these types of crimes goes a lot further than stakeouts and game cameras.
I'm not sure what you mean here. Could you elaborate?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu May 12, 2022 12:04 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Is it a small group/gang that's responsible for 90% of these?
Those cases which got big press coverage were the work of only a few individuals: The Graves Creek break-ins (about 15 years ago) which went on all summer were the work of a couple out of Aberdeen. They were eventually caught while trying to use a stolen credit card. Not sure what the outcome was for the girl. The guy did jail time, but according to some comments posted in this or one of the other "break-in" threads he's back out on the street passing bad paper now. The break-ins on the east side (a couple years ago?) were the work of a couple. Looks like they're repeat offenders who figure out they can make a living breaking into cars, and do so until caught, then move onto other crimes after they're released again. Can't address the "90%" part.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
altasnob

altasnob
PostThu May 12, 2022 12:21 pm 
Ski wrote:
The guy did jail time, but according to some comments posted in this or one of the other "break-in" threads he's back out on the street passing bad paper now. Looks like they're repeat offenders who figure out they can make a living breaking into cars, and do so until caught, then move onto other crimes after they're released again.
I'm curious what kind of sentence people think is appropriate for those that repeatedly break into cars at trailheads. As Ski mentions, those that do get caught go to prison. They get ordered to do drug treatment, which works for some people, but doesn't work for others. But at some point in time, the court's jurisdiction runs out. The person is back on the streets. Unemployed. Homeless. They get back with their drugy friends and the circle continues. Do people think you should get a life in prison sentence for a bunch of car break ins? Because that is really the only way to prevent these repeat offenders from re-offending once they get out prison. When you're homeless, unemployed, and addicted to meth/heroin, prison isn't so bad. It's a nice break from poverty.

Waterman

Waterman
PostThu May 12, 2022 12:35 pm 
Incarnation doesn't work without rehabilitation. European countries invest in education and building skills to make a inmate a productive member of society. Our system does nothing like this as it cost more money. Something the privatized system would never spend money on.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
altasnob

altasnob
PostThu May 12, 2022 12:40 pm 
You can get your GED and take community college courses and trade courses while you are in Washington prisons. Like drug treatment, these things help some people, but not all. To solve our crime (and trail head break ins) problems, we need a complete and radical overall of our entire society, starting from birth. Bad habits that get ingrained from birth are hard to break. If we change now, things might improve by the next generation in thirty years.

rossb, Anne Elk
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu May 12, 2022 2:32 pm 
Many smart people have dogs and not kids, while people with poor genetics and prone to addition breed like rabbits, the problem is not going to go away. I have avoided problems so far by driving an old vehicle, no valuables inside, unlocked and windows down....but the single best way to avoid this issue is to go at least 5 miles down a very rough road where not many people go. But how about this...at very busy and crowded TH's, have vendors, taco trucks, sell drinks, etc? It would be awesome to go on a hard hike and return to the TH and have a burger and brew waiting for you, especially after a multi-day trip.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
kiliki

kiliki
PostThu May 12, 2022 3:06 pm 
Maybe someone could get Gregory Scruggs of the Seattle Times interested. I thought he did a nice job keeping up on the issues at Stevens Pass ski area, with multiple articles and even spending a day with the GM, and trailhead break ins, I think, are of interest to a broader group. He could talk to LE, accumulate stats, etc.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu May 12, 2022 3:23 pm 
kiliki wrote:
Maybe someone could get Gregory Scruggs of the Seattle Times interested.
Sounds like a good idea - the issue is more his beat than some of the other regular columnists.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu May 12, 2022 11:49 pm 
altasnob wrote:
"I'm curious what kind of..."
Depends upon whether you were the victim of a car break-in this morning, or if you're just a casual observer. Depends upon whether you live your life behind a desk and never see, hear, touch, smell, taste, or otherwise interact with people who've been in and out of prison. Depends upon whether you actually know what the inside of a jail cell is like at 3:00 in the morning, or if you've ever tried to get that goddam ink off your fingers after being fingerprinted. Prison is just advanced education for criminals. Generally inmates have few options: (1) Get tough, learn from other hardened criminals, and be "part of the gang" or (2) Get beat up, raped, harassed or (3) spend most of your stint in solitary confinement, where you're harassed by the CO's and denied basic necessities like.... toilet paper. The Arabs cut off a hand. I have to wonder how effective that is as a deterrent? Yes, some European countries managed to get their heads straight and figured out that locking men in dungeons only turns them into animals. So they educate them. They teach them how to do something so they have some marketable skills. We've chosen instead to privatize our penal system so that prisoners are now a source of revenue. The more of them there are, and the longer they stay means bigger numbers on the bottom line. Maybe I should add: methamphetamine, fentanyl, or anything else you want is readily available at your local State Correctional Facility. YMMV

Waterman