Forum Index > Trip Reports > 4/17/2022 Salvation Peak
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
OutOfOffice

OutOfOffice
PostSun May 01, 2022 11:03 am 
Better late than never to post this report. It was nice to relive the trip a couple of weeks later, when reviewing my pictures this morning. @Neek proposed Salvation Peak on Saturday afternoon and I agreed after asking if my little brother could tag along. Early on Easter Sunday morning we were off to Bacon Creek road and were driving down it around 8:45am. It's a lonely road with a good amount of trash on it, unfortunately. About 5 miles in we hit impassable blowdown; parked the truck; and began hiking. The blowdown on the road goes on and on for nearly a mile. Afterwards, the road is very overgrown and basically disappears around Jumbo Creek. We started bushwhacking straight up the mountain right after Jumbo Creek. The first 500-800ft were very difficult because it was a downed tree cobweb. As we found out on the way down, walking a bit further past Jumbo Creek would circumvent the worst of the lower slope blowdown. The way up is steep to say the least and a complete slog. Plenty of places to roll your ankle (especially on the way down). We hit snow around 3.5k ft which helped a bit to kick steps and later put the snowshoes on. The last 800ft to the ridge notch took some will power in the deep snow and steep terrain. But hey, that's what you sign up for on a "hike" like this.
all the way up
all the way up
ice axe ice climbing optional
ice axe ice climbing optional
first peek of the alpine
first peek of the alpine
triumphant
triumphant
Damnation Peak
Damnation Peak
Oakes Peak
Oakes Peak
Interesting tree
Interesting tree
When you get up on the ridge it is all worth it though. We were exhausted at the notch but got a second wind of energy at the great views and beautiful snow. The walk from the notch to the summit of Salvation includes a couple of steep snow slopes but it is a wonderful stretch of hiking. Very enjoyable. From where we parked the car, it was 5.95 miles to the summit. I've been up on Oakes Peak before and did not realize it is just a ridge walk away from this peak. Walking Acorn to Salvation may be a good trip idea for the future. The way down we followed our tracks until the snow disappeared. It was a very slippery way down on top of wet foliage and downed logs. Great rewarding trip

neek, Cyclopath, RichP, Tom, hikerbiker, zimmertr  awilsondc
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostSun May 01, 2022 12:09 pm 
Thanks for writing this up! Very fun trip. I guess it would be ideal when the snow started a bit lower, but not so low that the road was covered, like when we did Oakes a few years ago. A few more pics. Let's see if I can remember some of the peaks...
Summit pano
Summit pano
Eldorado
Eldorado
Bacon
Bacon
Sloan, Pugh, White Chuck
Sloan, Pugh, White Chuck
Three Fingers, Whitehorse
Three Fingers, Whitehorse
Blum
Blum
Pickets
Pickets
Thornton
Thornton
Triumph
Triumph
Oakes
Oakes

Theboywhocriedroute, puzzlr, Cyclopath, awilsondc, RichP, Tom, hikerbiker, OutOfOffice
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun May 01, 2022 6:16 pm 
Definitely a worthy summit! Nice job and pics

Eric Eames
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostSun May 01, 2022 8:26 pm 
Nice summit boys! rocker.gif A slog...I love it! Views of Triumph and Thornton are sweeeet too! cheers.gif

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin