Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt Phelps 5535'(N Fork Snoq.)4-29-2022
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostSun May 01, 2022 7:33 pm 
Well with the iffy weather for Friday I decided a short one should be in store...lol. It turned into more of a slog than any of us anticipated! dizzy.gif Hans and Derek were on board and we all met in North Bend at 5am to make the voyage to the starting point. We all were in agreement that the route finding crux of the trip was the navigation of the spider web of goddamn forest roads throughout the area! doof.gif I made the mistake of just trying to follow the old Google directions to the Blackhawk mine...don't do that. moon.gif We took many wrong turns but ended up finding our way onto the fury lake Rd/ north fork Rd after much backtracking. It only took us 2.5 hrs lol. hockeygrin.gif We parked at the 2000ft mark and were on the move just before 8am. The partly sunny forecast wasn't looking too promising and we noticed the upper reaches had a nice dusting of snow on the drive in. From the road we gained about 600ft to intersect the Blackhawk mine road up higher. After that a decent climber's trail led us up through the clearcut section. There were quite a few cairns through here to which was nice. There was a little bush to contest, but for only about 200ft. The worst part of this was that bush was all nice and soaked from the night before, gortex was donned. breakdance.gif Poor Derek forgot to bring a layer so he was thoroughly soaked, Hans and myself didn't fair too much better lol! After the clearcut snowshoes were utilized circa 3400ft. The forest was nice and open up here and travel was better. It would have been more enjoyable but the snow in the trees from the night before was melting...it made for a moist endeavor indeed! eyes.gif The snow was pretty sloppy too, a trend that would continue throughout the day. We eventually made it to the 4200' mark and started the traverse to gain Phelps' SW ridge. A break was had in a nice basin in the middle of the traverse. There were no recent signs of slides even though the snow was crap. It took us 3hrs to reach this point, sloppy conditions lol. Time for some whiskey.cheers.gif
Start point
Start point
Big ol stump
Big ol stump
Misty mine road
Misty mine road
Climber's trail
Climber's trail
In the clearcut
In the clearcut
Pretty damp through here lol
Pretty damp through here lol
D-man
D-man
Some fresh in the trees
Some fresh in the trees
It was nice to kinda dry off for 30 mins and then we were off again. We gained the ridge at 4400' on moderately steep slopes. Once on the ridge we still had over 1000ft to gain. It felt like such a slog under said conditions. smile.gif The clouds had been teasing us the whole day and it seemed that the top would be socked in. Nonetheless we trudged onward. Halfway up the boys switched to crampons, I was able to rock the snowshoes the whole way. The slopes had plenty of pinwheels and rollerballs but everything was stable enough it seemed. I was a bit surprised how steep some of the snow ended up being though. What seemed like and endless slog finally gave way at 130pm when we arrived at the summit proper!! rocker.gif Thanks again Hans for kicking most of the steps! And wouldn't you know it the clouds parted and we got some badass views! We even caught a glimpse of Seattle. Perfect timing! banana.gif It took about 5.5 hrs and we definitely felt it, so we took a nice little break to sip some beam and get some food in our bellies! Cheers! drink.gif
Up to the ridge
Up to the ridge
on da ridge
on da ridge
Derek coming up with McClain behind
Derek coming up with McClain behind
Some steeps
Some steeps
clouds teasing
clouds teasing
Almost there buddy
Almost there buddy
Finally
Finally
Sub peak to the east
Sub peak to the east
Corniced summit
Corniced summit
to the west
to the west
D-man arrives
D-man arrives
Yewwww
Yewwww
relaxin
relaxin
out west and tolt reservoir
out west and tolt reservoir
The north
The north
Transients
Transients
McClain
McClain
Around 245pm we started the trip back down. We made quick time back down the ridge and out the rest of the way back to the car. It was nice that all the vegetation was dry on the way down too. The car was reached at 545pm making it around a 10hr day. It was a hard 10 hrs lol. I think it was only something like 5 miles roundtrip and 3500ft gain...maybe I'm just getting sloppy. breakdance.gif Anyhow we all agreed it was one of the sloggier short trips we've had! Another righteous day to be up high my doods! Thanks Hans and D-man for coming out with me again, now let's go get some more! Cheers to all!! rocker.gif
Down the hill
Down the hill
Looking back from below
Looking back from below
Almost home
Almost home

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin

wallorcrawl, SpookyKite89, Brucester, ALW Hiker, Eric Gilbertson, Now I Fly, Nancyann, Cyclopath, Silas, flatsqwerl, neek, raising3hikers, Randito, Theboywhocriedroute, fourteen410, mtn.climber, LukeHelgeson, RichP  GaliWalker, awilsondc
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostSun May 01, 2022 10:59 pm 
Nice nab! Great job! I need to go here!

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.

ozzy, Theboywhocriedroute
Theboywhocriedroute

Theboywhocriedroute
PostMon May 02, 2022 6:11 am 
What an emotional rollercoaster of weather dizzy.gif wet, sweat, and sun! Good for the goretex to earn its place in the pack indefinitley! Trekkin up that heavy wet wet certainly added a lot of weight each step.. but aye only 4.5 miles hahaha. Great day, great peak, great team! Till the next one lad! Cheers

zimmertr, GaliWalker, ozzy, RichP  KascadeFlat
Type E

Type E
PostMon May 02, 2022 8:34 am 
While the snow made it a bit tedious it surely easier than the last 400’ to gain the ridge . The vegetation is quite dense for that stretch . E

KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostMon May 02, 2022 10:59 am 
Whoa, what a trip! Hope you've all dried out by now. biggrin.gif Phelps has been on my list. For. Ever. I used to be able to see it from my living room window. It's fallen a few places down the list since I moved (and am no longer constantly taunted by its presence) but this TR bumped it back up.

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.

ozzy
rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostMon May 02, 2022 12:35 pm 
Just another unexpected adventure with Ozzy. dizzy.gif Pleasure to finally meet & get out w/ Hans as well. On top of forgetting proper rain gear I somehow left my trekking poles back at our North Bend meetup. Not my finest mountain gear moment that's for sure. Thanks Ozzy for lending one of your poles (Which of course I managed to break) rant.gif

When asked "Why do you climb"? Simply respond "Why don't you"?

Theboywhocriedroute  KascadeFlat  ozzy
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon May 02, 2022 4:42 pm 
As with many others, Phelps has been on my radar for this time of year for many years now. I gotta go do it. Thanks for the TR

Eric Eames

ozzy
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon May 02, 2022 9:49 pm 
When we climbed Phelps almost 10 years ago everyone brought a lopper to cut branches in the clearcut section. The effect of that work is long gone, but if this inspires someone to climb Phelps, bring loppers and do a little trail work.

Mid Fork Rocksflickr

KascadeFlat, Roy Jensen, Now I Fly, ozzy
lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostWed May 18, 2022 10:38 am 
73McClain
73McClain
Sort of cool to see the change in the clearcut at the road-end. July 1973 vs April 2022

ozzy
Dolph Lundgren
Dolph Lundgren

Dolph Lundgren
Dolph Lundgren
PostFri May 20, 2022 1:55 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
When we climbed Phelps almost 10 years ago everyone brought a lopper to cut branches in the clearcut section. The effect of that work is long gone, but if this inspires someone to climb Phelps, bring loppers and do a little trail work.
I just might do that

KascadeFlat