Forum Index > Trail Talk > White Chuck Glacier area - do the new lakes have standing names?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BeardoMcGrath

BeardoMcGrath
PostThu Dec 23, 2021 2:42 pm 
Thinking of trips for next summer and zooming around on satellite it struck me the White Chuck Glacier area has at least 3 recent lakes, one of which has been photographed many times by folks heading up to Glacier Peak. Does anyone know if there are standing/unofficial names for these lakes yet?
Lake 1 is seen by hundreds each year on the way to Glacier Peak, 2 and 3 less so but still fairly sizeable. Lake 1 is 25 acres.
Lake 1 is seen by hundreds each year on the way to Glacier Peak, 2 and 3 less so but still fairly sizeable. Lake 1 is 25 acres.

zimmertr
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Dec 24, 2021 9:59 am 
Here are the guidelines if you have any proposals. https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/how-can-i-name-unnamed-natural-feature

RichP

RichP
PostFri Dec 24, 2021 11:27 am 
Have at it Beardo. Some Salish names would be nice.

zimmertr
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Dec 24, 2021 1:33 pm 
Lakey McLakeface. clown.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir

Slim
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostFri Dec 24, 2021 6:34 pm 
Mike Collins wrote:
Here are the guidelines if you have any proposals. https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/how-can-i-name-unnamed-natural-feature
Since all the lakes in question are within federally designated Glacier Peak Wilderness, they shouldn't be named: "The BGN will not approve any new names in federally designated wilderness areas unless the proponent can demonstrate why an exception is warranted." https://geonames.usgs.gov/docs/pubs/DNC_PPP_DEC_2016_V.2.2.pdf#page=19 quote: "Although wilderness designations are a modern invention, a fundamental characteristic of elemental wilderness is that the cultural overlay of civilization is absent. Placenames in a wilderness area might diminish the sense of discovery that those who visit ought to be able to experience. No wilderness area today is totally free of placenames and cultural artifacts, but a goal of Federal wilderness area administration is to minimize the impacts and traces of people."

contour5

contour5
PostFri Dec 24, 2021 10:30 pm 
The Disenchantments are a particularly lovely/hideous group of tarns and mud pits. "Lake1" is an extremely dynamic environment- a steep-walled mud bowl made of wet, oozing volcanic dust. I went down to the lake shore and kind of wished that I hadn't. It was hard to get out of there... unbelievably slippery clay-like goo that stuck to my boots in great heavy clumps. Serious danger of catastrophic mud slide. Beware! Should be interesting to see how this one changes/fills in over the next few decades... I haven't made it out to L2 or L3, but it's a great trip out across Foam Creek Basin...

RichP, zimmertr
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Dec 24, 2021 11:44 pm 
Don’t think I could go there without crying, used to go there every Memorial Day weekend. waah.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Dec 25, 2021 1:04 am 
Glacial Tears Lakes

bgs8379

bgs8379
PostMon Dec 27, 2021 6:14 pm 
First one to swim in it , name it what u like.

BeardoMcGrath

BeardoMcGrath
PostMon Jan 03, 2022 12:43 pm 
kitya wrote:
Mike Collins wrote:
Since all the lakes in question are within federally designated Glacier Peak Wilderness, they shouldn't be named: "The BGN will not approve any new names in federally designated wilderness areas unless the proponent can demonstrate why an exception is warranted." https://geonames.usgs.gov/docs/pubs/DNC_PPP_DEC_2016_V.2.2.pdf#page=19 quote: "Although wilderness designations are a modern invention, a fundamental characteristic of elemental wilderness is that the cultural overlay of civilization is absent. Placenames in a wilderness area might diminish the sense of discovery that those who visit ought to be able to experience. No wilderness area today is totally free of placenames and cultural artifacts, but a goal of Federal wilderness area administration is to minimize the impacts and traces of people."
Thanks Kitya for this background. I was unaware features in Wilderness areas were not supposed to have placenames! While I appreciate the purpose here I suspect most folks in the mountains come to adopt standing or informal names for lots of places, mostly to help provide context when talking or writing about it (easier to use a name than "the lake SW of x mountain at whatever ft elevation"). RichP's point made me think indigenous names might be an appropriate exception though I don't feel qualified to determine those.
contour5 wrote:
The Disenchantments are a particularly lovely/hideous group of tarns and mud pits. "Lake1" is an extremely dynamic environment- a steep-walled mud bowl made of wet, oozing volcanic dust. I went down to the lake shore and kind of wished that I hadn't. It was hard to get out of there... unbelievably slippery clay-like goo that stuck to my boots in great heavy clumps. Serious danger of catastrophic mud slide. Beware! Should be interesting to see how this one changes/fills in over the next few decades... I haven't made it out to L2 or L3, but it's a great trip out across Foam Creek Basin...
Cool to see those TRs. The Disenchantments appeals to my amusement and makes sense given your description. In general I don't feel qualified to establish "official" names, but rather want a good way to refer to such locations in TRs. When I've been in more remote parts of BC I'm particular to just using geographic names, since they are not so confusing and hopefully non-controversial. So I would be tempted to refer to lake 1 as "Glacier Gap Lake", Lake 2 as "Foam Lake" and Lake 3 as "White River Lake" in future TRs given their nearby named features. Thanks for the links I've learned a lot!

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon Jan 03, 2022 3:58 pm 
Somebody quick put your favorite names on OpenCycle or one of those crowd-sourced maps. Then put a route to it also so everyone goes the same way.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostMon Jan 03, 2022 6:30 pm 
Trail Blazers call your 1 "White Chuck 2". White Chuck 1 is to the NNE. So far we have identified 7 lakes that have emerged from the White Chuck glacier and do not show on the topo and I'm pretty sure there are more. Your 2 and 3 we call "White River 3" and "White River 2". The names are purely for convenience and obviously utilitarian.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
bgs8379

bgs8379
PostTue Jan 04, 2022 7:12 pm 
The Lake at the headwaters of Lighting Creek is Brad's Lake.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostTue Jan 04, 2022 7:46 pm 
bgs8379 wrote:
The Lake at the headwaters of Lighting Creek is Brad's Lake.
Why do people call it Brad's Lake? And who calls it that?

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
bgs8379

bgs8379
PostSat Jan 08, 2022 5:52 pm 
I swam in it , I named it.

zimmertr