Forum Index > Trail Talk > Car prowlers caught in the act @ Rattlesnake Lake - Beware
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sir Homey

Sir Homey
PostWed Jun 12, 2013 6:05 pm 
Greetings, I live in North Bend so the hike up Rattlesnake Ridge and beyond is a quick easy option for me when I want to stretch my legs. I was returning to my truck today and found some douche bags breaking into it. My truck was parked in that first small overflow lot. One of them was doing the breaking, his @sshole friends were manning the getaway vehicle. The window on the extended cab was already broken and I witnessed him break the driver's side window. Naturally I shouted at them, I was maybe 100 feet away. He bolted back to the car and they had to jam it in reverse to get out of the lot since I was ready to dive thru the windshield if they pulled forward. Nothing of value was taken, I know how the game is played. Just sad to see the end of my streak of 20+ yrs of parking in way more remote areas and never having any trouble. They were driving an older Toyota Carolla WA lic # 062 YUM. I reported it to the sheriff, for all the good it will do. (Sheriff confirmed the plate # was legit) I know these things are hard to track down. Anyhoo, heads up out there if you see this vehicle. You have my permission to fire bomb it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Spotly

Spotly
PostWed Jun 12, 2013 6:12 pm 
Sorry to hear about the end of your streak. I'm not clear on why this would be "hard to track down" though. You were a witness to what happened, saw the guy, got the plate and reported it to the Sheriff. If nothing comes of it then shame on our system of justice. Post here if the Sheriff gets hold of you about it later.

Sir Homey

Sir Homey
PostWed Jun 12, 2013 6:17 pm 
I'll report back if the news is good. I only meant that since nothing was stolen and I'm sure the sheriff is chasing bigger fish... I just don't hold out much hope of a resolution. We shall see.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jun 12, 2013 6:19 pm 
I talked to someone who caught some dickwads breaking into cars at Mt Taylor and they got the plate #s turned out plates were stolen frown.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
gb

gb
PostWed Jun 12, 2013 6:38 pm 
Sounds like they threatened you with physical harm.......Maybe that will get a response from the authorities.

xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostWed Jun 12, 2013 6:49 pm 
This is why I carry a handgun on my backpacking outings. It's the best insurance policy vs 2 legged creatures.

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostWed Jun 12, 2013 6:52 pm 
That lot had break-ins last year while the trail was closed and SWAT was there to defuse the bunker on the ridge. The thieves seem to have no fear of getting caught. The small lot gets hit the hardest since they can post a look out and drive through with 2 exit points. Sorry to hear but really glad you got the plates.

Bergschlawiner

Bergschlawiner
PostWed Jun 12, 2013 7:21 pm 
Seems like if the sheriff can quickly respond to everyone who turns and ankle at Rattlesnake that they will respond appropriately to this well documented crime. Please take a minute and post it in http://www.crimereports.com where incidents such as this are posted on a map with details. There is already one such breakin at the same location posted.

Bergschlawiner
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostWed Jun 12, 2013 7:29 pm 
As long as they weren't using a stolen vehicle, it should be easy to track down and prosecute them. Most likely, their house and car is full of stolen stuff they can link to other crimes. Actually, I would delete this thread for now. If the crooks find this, they'll know the heat is on and start getting rid of evidence.

Hiker Chick

Hiker Chick
PostWed Jun 12, 2013 7:49 pm 
I'm sorry that happened to you! frown.gif Rattlesnake is my old haunt, and I still have a house in the Rim. I hope they catch them.

If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in the dark with a mosquito. Silence is golden and duct tape is silver. I don't write trip reports.
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostWed Jun 12, 2013 8:15 pm 
I've never had a car broken into when it was parked at a trailhead. We have had three car break-ins in the past three years, each time the car was parked in front of our house or in the driveway. The more remote the trailhead, the safer your car is, I think.

RichP

RichP
PostWed Jun 12, 2013 8:17 pm 
Seems like they could at least be charged with vandalism and be required to pay restitution.

tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Jun 12, 2013 8:34 pm 
MyFootHurts wrote:
As long as they weren't using a stolen vehicle, it should be easy to track down and prosecute them. Most likely, their house and car is full of stolen stuff they can link to other crimes. Actually, I would delete this thread for now. If the crooks find this, they'll know the heat is on and start getting rid of evidence.
No fear, such lowlifes are not likely reading anything.... They are too busy trying to get their next meth fix.

CouleeClimber

CouleeClimber
PostWed Jun 12, 2013 8:39 pm 
I've never had a car broken into either, *knock on wood*, but my main area is Enchantment Lakes, parking area's there are normally pretty well packed, I hit Gardner every so often to, but it seems pretty remote to me. Have me worried now, I usually leave my extra gear I don't need in the car and right now I leave it all in the car whenever I go anywhere driving or not because the place next door to me got broken into and robbed. frown.gif 1997 TOYOTA COROLLA/CE You'll have to pay the fee at carfax to get their info though.

CouleeClimber

CouleeClimber
PostWed Jun 12, 2013 8:41 pm 
Meth, the only reason I hate living in the Coulee its rampant here, but it is my home town and I have family here. Seen quite a few I went to school with around town, strung out, bodies shot to hell, its sad.