Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Help Me Understand "awd systems and space saver tires."
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostFri May 06, 2022 1:42 pm 
The space saver spare that came with the car, it's a different size, tread pattern, different weight and air pressure. How doesn't that effect the awd system? Does temporay use degrade the system? If you are on the Alcan Highway, do you just need to carry a set of four back up tires? Brands of systems, are they all as sensative as say the Subaru or Volkswagon? I hear the CRV system isn't as effective awd wise, so this may mean it's not as sensative? Is this a way to get you to buy more tires? Anyone have Scotty Kilmers number? lol.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri May 06, 2022 2:11 pm 
FWIW my 2013 CRV has a full sized spare. My 2010 Fit has a mini spare. On the mini spare it says, not to exceed 45mph and 50 miles. If you are planning on driving the ALCAN. Get a full size spare and carry externally somehow. Also buy new tires if they have more than a few years old. Several cans of "fix a flat" are also useful to have -- or preemptively putting a sealant into your tires.

contour5

contour5
PostFri May 06, 2022 4:05 pm 
With AWD all four tires need to be the same size/rotate at the same speed or you can damage the transfer case. Used tire guy in Burien sold me a used wheel and tire of the correct diameter for like $50.

meck

meck
PostFri May 06, 2022 5:37 pm 
I have been told (but do not have any personal experience) that one is supposed to rotate any full size spare into use periodically so that the tires (all 5) all end up with approximately the same circumference to avoid the damage that contour5 mentions. As I understand it, you could also have a new spare tire shaved down. We managed to push a thin rock (~2.5" x 1.5" x 0.375") through one of our Forester's tires a year ago; the tire set was old enough we bought four all new tires, but kept one of the "good" old tires to have mounted to a full-size spare rim. We'd had to drive home with the teeny-tiny tire at a slower speed like Randito stated (and did not continue with the vehicle that day). Keep in mind that you may need to have a spare's inflation sensor coded to the vehicle, otherwise the "low tire pressure light" will be on the entire time the spare is is use.

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri May 06, 2022 6:57 pm 
meck wrote:
rotate any full size spare into use periodically so that the tires (all 5
I have heard that strategy also, but it think it is advice from a the era of bias ply tires. With radial ply tires , my mechanic "rotates" tires between front and back, but the tires always stay on the same side of the vehicle.

Brucester

Brucester
PostSat May 07, 2022 2:23 pm 
I "Youtubed" the answer and get an education in the process. It's not a tire scam, awd's drive system's are complicated and expensive to fix! The vehicles awd system is complex and can't handle variances of diameter down to 3 milawhat-ever's. I thought having a full size spare could be a solution to the possibly to the potentially dangerous space saver. But that idea would only work if I "rotated in" 4 other tires of equal wear (so all 5 tires) have about the same diameter. (Like meck said) That seems like a safe solution. To sum it up: If the tire diameter goes up in size there's less rotation... Go down and there's more rotation. In reference to tire wear mind you. This causes a variance on the transeverything mechanics of the system and could cause differental over heating... Please be careful when using the smaller space saver tire. They are potentially dangerous and you NEED to drive slower using them because your braking distance will be worse. And if you drive fast, hit corners hard you may actually skid out and end up in a ditch or worse. 45-50 is actually a safety precaution. Thanks so much for the replies! When posting, I was like why did I post that, but I got me off my ash and looked up the answers on Youtube. Then got reminded here. smile.gif

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostSun May 08, 2022 11:43 am 
Brief tire rotation history: Bias ply tires used a 5 tire rotation scheme that worked pretty well but once the OEM tires wore out almost everybody just bought 4 new tires and used the best worn tire as a spare. Radial tires have shown a tendency to delaminate when rotated from one side of a car to the other (that changes their primary direction of rotation) so that is initially why swapping left to right and including the spare in the rotation was discouraged. Some 4X4 and AWD systems also are impacted by small diameter differences so that also was a reason to discourage it.

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon May 09, 2022 8:50 am 
I am one of those people who don't believe in the space saver tires. When I replace my tires, I find the "best old used one" and buy a used rim from one of those Highway 99 tire replacement people. I take the "best old used" tire that I just had, put it on the used rim, and then shove the tire into the space saver tire place. For some reason my "best old used" tire has also fit into the space saver tire place. I now have confidence the tire will work to get me out of the logging roads that I used....because I just used that tire not too long ago. I also can go the speed limit. I also don't have to replace it that day. I can wait a couple of days.

Art is an adventure.

Bowregard