Forum Index > Trail Talk > Bathtub Lakes on Mt Pilchuck (Pinnacle Lake route)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostThu May 12, 2022 1:47 pm 
If that paint is truly traffic paint as Schroder suggests, there's a high likelihood it contains lead. Maybe best to just leave it in place.

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"

Chief Joseph, fourteen410
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu May 12, 2022 2:26 pm 
Slim wrote:
If that paint is truly traffic paint as Schroder suggests, there's a high likelihood it contains lead. Maybe best to just leave it in place.
Finally, a voice of reason! Cyclopath, I was obviously kidding, I know how to get there, but I do get lost easily. Don't need no new fangled GPS thingy, not into that kind of thing, although I do use it for driving directions.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

SpookyKite89
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu May 12, 2022 3:31 pm 
Slim wrote:
Maybe best to just leave it in place.
I agree with Slim. You know...I hate graffiti as much or more than anybody. I despise how it has overtaken so many places in the city and continues to grow and grow like some alien mold. Now we are seeing it up and down I-90 on the over passes. I rarely see any mitigation or cleaning. It looks like SDOT and WSDOT have just given up. And I can see that the Iodine Gulch sign is rather obtrusive. But in my opinion the remaining daubs of paint here and there are not so egregious to my eye. The color has a bit of green in it and has weathered significantly over the years. To me (YMMV) the daubs are even difficult to see in certain lighting. They blend in with the lichen. If it was as bad as the painted rocks down along the Stillaguamish near Granite Falls or in other places then yes, let's form work parties to get those sort of places cleaned up. But to me these old yellow/green daubs pale in comparison to the scourge afflicting our rights of way and other places we see daily. So maybe take down the Iodine Gulch sign and let the rest go. Unless they are truly obnoxious to you. Not only do they run throughout the plateau, but over the ridge and toward the old ski resort I believe. I've only been on the section between the lookout and the plateau. ~z

mosey, fourteen410, Chief Joseph
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostThu May 12, 2022 3:38 pm 
There are a bunch of painted arrows on rocks on the Spray Park trail in MRNP too. I thought they were lichen at first.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu May 12, 2022 4:08 pm 
zephyr wrote:
You know...I hate graffiti as much or more than anybody.
But graffiti can also be considered as art, you notice that they stopped paining over graffiti of train box cars. Some of it is done really well and it gives you something to look at while you wait for the train to pass.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
brewermd

brewermd
PostThu May 12, 2022 5:04 pm 
Before trying to remove the paint, please contact Washington State Parks, the Mt. Pilchuck area is a state park and permission is needed for this sort of effort. Secondly, for the safety and health of the wildlife and the surrounding plants it is probably best left alone.

SpookyKite89, mosey, fourteen410, Chief Joseph, Cyclopath
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostThu May 12, 2022 6:48 pm 
In the past, mention has been made that the motivation for placing those route markers was due to multiple SAR missions as a result of folks getting lost. Marks were placed on rocks that tend to melt out first. Admittedly that was before the days of cell phone maps and GPS. But for anyone contemplating removing those route markers, I ask you this. Will you acknowledge responsibility for your actions if someone is injured or worse because you removed those route markers? BTW, a great day trip requiring 2 vehicles is to go east to west and come down the Pilchuck trail. Bonus: route includes 12 foot free climb. Once upon a time, lo those many years ago, I did this as a scramble trip with the Seattle Mountaineers and everybody got up that bit fine.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostThu May 12, 2022 6:50 pm 
What's the exposure like in that section, Joey? I've read about it before and have been curious.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu May 12, 2022 7:05 pm 
brewermd wrote:
for the safety and health of the wildlife and the surrounding plants it is probably best left alone.
I've been asking about bringing a battery powered hand held vacuum (did not order), or other ways to address this. I don't want to just poison the surrounding plant life and the animals that eat it. I'll follow up. If not I can use this stuff to get rid of other graffiti, unfortunately there's no shortage.

iron

iron
PostThu May 12, 2022 7:05 pm 
Joey wrote:
But for anyone contemplating removing those route markers, I ask you this. Will you acknowledge responsibility for your actions if someone is injured or worse because you removed those route markers?
this discussion's been had a litigated before re: cairns. the answer? kick em down.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu May 12, 2022 8:01 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
I've been asking about bringing a battery powered hand held vacuum (did not order), or other ways to address this. I don't want to just poison the surrounding plant life and the animals that eat it.
IDK, but when I've had to remove asbestos containing "popcorn" ceilings from houses I've owned, the removal procedure involved plastic bagging the entire room, wetting the "popcorn" until it was completely saturated and scraping it off. Since everything was soaking wet, no dust was possible. Vacuuming up paint dust particles from grinding or scraping is only going to capture the larger particles that fall quickly to the ground. Smaller particles carried by the breeze will spread over a larger distance. If it really is lead paint, removal in a manner that does exposure you to the lead , nor the environment is a complex task that requires knowledge, training and equipment that would be quite an undertaking on a DIY basis.

Cyclopath
Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostThu May 12, 2022 9:19 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
What's the exposure like in that section, Joey? I've read about it before and have been curious.
I'm not sure if I remember the 12 foot freeclimb but there's a few spots coming from Pilchuch that would be difficult if it was wet. One spot is a long, steep slab with a root or tree to grab. There is quite a bit of exposure coming around one point on a narrowish ledge. I don't do well with big drops but have done the route a few times.

zimmertr
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostFri May 13, 2022 6:00 am 
zimmertr wrote:
I did this as a snow scramble which I think lessens the sense of exposure since you generally have a secure place to put your feet. The short free climb is wooded up to the base. I remember the narrow ledge mentioned by Bramble_Scramble. That is a key part of the route. The last bit getting up to the lookout area is steep.

altasnob

altasnob
PostFri May 13, 2022 7:33 am 
Randito wrote:
If it really is lead paint, removal in a manner that does exposure you to the lead , nor the environment is a complex task that requires knowledge, training and equipment that would be quite an undertaking on a DIY basis.
They make cheap simple instant lead paint tests that you can use to identify if it is actually lead paint or not. The EPA's lead paint removal rule for contractors does not apply to minor maintenance or repair activities where less than six square feet of lead-based paint is disturbed in a room or where less then 20 square feet of lead-based paint is disturbed on the exterior. If it's larger than that, or you want to be extra cautious, you will need to wear a tyvek suit, goggles, mask, gloves, tent the rock out in plastic, plastic the ground, and throw away all of this when you are done. I say all of the above somewhat jokingly because lets get real. Millions of Americans are removing lead paint in their homes every year, most without even realizing it. If your home was built before 1940, it most likely contains lead paint, even if it has been remodeled. I wouldn't stress about an area as small as the paint on those rocks. If it is lead, the safest way for you and the environment to remove would be to use citristrip paint remover. You have to wait 30 minutes to 24 hours after application to then remove the paint. Use scrapers and scotchbrite pad to remove the critstrip gunk (the gel eats away at the paint and becomes a sludge). Don't sand as your goal is to not to create small, airborne, particles. Use water spray bottle to control any dust but there shouldn't be any dust using the citristrip. I have an infrared paint remover I use on my 100 year old house. It heats the paint to the point that you can scrape it without heating it to the point it becomes volatile and airborne. But that obviously wouldn't be an option up by Pilchuck so citristrip is your best bet.

Cyclopath
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri May 13, 2022 8:24 am 
altasnob wrote:
I say all of the above somewhat jokingly because lets get real. Millions of Americans are removing lead paint in their homes every year, most without even realizing it. If your home was built before 1940, it most likely contains lead paint, even if it has been remodeled.
That's true, It's also true that every year large numbers of older Americans go into memory care facilities because their brains no longer function well enough to manage activities of daily living. Lead exposure is likely a factor for many of those cases. Lead , as it is a heavy metal accumulates in the body. Lead exposure isn't something to dismiss lightly. https://www.j-alz.com/content/there-link-between-lifetime-lead-exposure-and-dementia#:~:text=Animal%20studies%20and%20research%20on,exposure%20to%20traffic%20related%20pollution.