Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trailhead Direct 2022 to Mount Si, Mount Teneriffe, and Little Si starting May 28th
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
CS

CS
PostThu May 12, 2022 1:52 pm 
http://trailheaddirect.org/2022/05/12/trailhead-direct-2022-update/ This year’s Trailhead Direct season will serve Mount Si, with buses originating at the Sound Transit Capitol Hill Link light rail station and service every 30 minutes to Mount Si, Mount Teneriffe, and Little Si. The season will launch on Saturday, May 28th and run through Sunday, Sept. 11th.

Cyclopath, mosey
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mosey

mosey
PostFri May 13, 2022 9:54 am 
That's a pretty big service reduction from running all the way to mailbox and having a second Issaquah Alps bus. Guess I'll have to keep waiting for a mid fork trailhead shuttle.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri May 13, 2022 10:21 am 
mosey wrote:
That's a pretty big service reduction from running all the way to mailbox and having a second Issaquah Alps bus
I wonder if many used it for Mailbox? If it wasn't getting the use, perhaps they decided against it this year?

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
SpookyKite89

SpookyKite89
PostTue May 17, 2022 6:54 am 
The other buses (the ones other than the Si bus) seemed fairly odd to me. If I remember correct, the Mailbox Route originated in Issaquah and the Issy Alps bus originated in South Seattle. I always felt like getting out to Issaquah to catch a bus to Mailbox seemed like a lot of work (if you lived in Seattle) and I assume not many people in Issaquah need a ride out to Mailbox. Before I had a car, I wanted to try trailhead direct but I always just opted for an urban hike because the logistics seemed too much for me.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue May 17, 2022 8:54 am 
I think the point from Issaquah was folks would park at a big lot there, and not have to deal with clogging the Mid Fork Road. I think the South Seattle choice was to serve that demographic.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
dixon

dixon
PostTue May 17, 2022 9:07 am 
This will be interesting to see because since last year there are more parking restrictions along the middle fork between Mailbox and Granite lakes TH to prevent the madness that occurred last year. Now that there's less parking and no bus, perhaps people will finally learn about the 2 other hikes in WA state .... Nah!

SpookyKite89
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostTue May 17, 2022 9:33 am 
dixon wrote:
perhaps people will finally learn about the 2 other hikes in WA state
If your goal is to be seen, you've gotta do THE hike. No other options will suffice!

dixon
CS

CS
PostTue May 17, 2022 9:56 am 
I wonder if they’d consider a service like Pingo in North Bend for the last mile to the THs. It’s similar to Uber but a city bus that can pick up a lot of people and has more flexibility as to where it can go. I think the problem with bus routes is they’re expensive unless you have consistent riders, where as Pingo only runs when there are riders and it doesn’t run around a circuit wasting resources when no one is using it. I’ve used it on Bainbridge Island to get to Gazzam Park and it worked great. Only downside is it doesn’t run on Sundays.

SpookyKite89

SpookyKite89
PostWed May 18, 2022 2:22 pm 
Yeah, I understood where the ideas were coming from but it just didn’t seem to make too much sense to other people in the end. The hoards of people going to mailbox can’t even be bothered to get the right pass or park in the right spot, let alone think ahead enough about possibly carpooling/using the TH Direct. I am honestly bummed they canceled the Issy/South Seattle route but I can see why it’s not the best option.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed May 18, 2022 3:43 pm 
SpookyKite89 wrote:
The hoards of people going to mailbox can’t even be bothered to get the right pass or park in the right spot, let alone think ahead enough about possibly carpooling/using the TH Direct.
That's a very good point!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed May 18, 2022 9:27 pm 
SpookyKite89 wrote:
The hoards of people going to mailbox can’t even be bothered to get the right pass or park in the right spot, let alone think ahead enough about possibly carpooling/using the TH Direct.
Luckily, you don't need a parking pass if you take the bus and don't park there. smile.gif

SpookyKite89

SpookyKite89
PostFri May 20, 2022 8:18 am 
Well, clearly not enough people were doing that to keep the bus worth running.