Forum Index > Trip Reports > Chiliwist Butte LO: 05/08/22
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu May 12, 2022 6:10 pm 
We spent a few days hiking around the always-lovely Methow Valley last week. Hwy 20 hadn't opened yet, so we got to enjoy some extra solitude while we were there. On Sunday we drove an hour east to Chiliwist Butte, the site of a former lookout. We were able to drive to the upper gate and parked on a high plateau. We walked the old road for a bit before heading directly uphill toward the butte. Along the way, we were surrounded by color, which was a very welcome sight considering the so-so flower show further west.
The old jeep road eventually faded away so we just headed in the general direction of the lookout site. We encountered a couple false summits along the way, as well as some really interesting rocks. This one had a giraffe-like pattern.
Before too long, we arrived at the old lookout site. Threatening clouds loomed in all directions but kept their distance during our stay.
We opted for a direct descent on the way down to cut off some mileage on the old road. We eventually intersected the road again for a short while before arriving back at the car.
On our drive out, we drove by one of the alfalfa fields we could see from the summit. The bright yellow is always a treat this time of year.
Also, here is a picture of Mt. Gardner if anyone is curious about snow conditions.

Lindsay, hikerman, Cyclopath, Matt, Brushbuffalo, jaysway, half fast, brewermd, Silas, wyattmullen, Midnight Slogger, zimmertr
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
timberghost

timberghost
PostThu May 12, 2022 7:31 pm 
Some beautiful pictures there. I always love it this time of the year when the flowers come out

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun May 15, 2022 4:17 pm 
Nice to see generous balsam root up there. up.gif The bloom has been less than spectacular this year down in the Wenatchee Valley as our early spring snowfall quite literally "nipped it in the bud." hockeygrin.gif Still some nice blooms around, but not a banner year. Your pictures have me itching for my annual summer trips northward. cool.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
timberghost

timberghost
PostMon May 16, 2022 4:53 am 
Used to be a good place for deer to hang out for the winter but since that wolf pack wiped out the population it's not as it was.