Forum Index > Trip Reports > Three Brothers, Navaho, and Freedom (Teanaway), 05/13/2022
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Alden Ryno

Alden Ryno
PostSun May 15, 2022 8:44 am 
Each spring, as the trailheads melt out, it seems like there are droves of peakbaggers that flock to the Teanaway. Being on the east side of the Cascade Crest, there's generally less snow and more sun, leading to faster snowmelt. Not one to follow the masses, I decided to get there before the trailheads (fully) melted out.
My original plan for this weekend was supposed to involve the Olympics, but weather turned sour, then the prospect of driving from the Tri-Cities to Issaquah and then to the Olympics didn't seem enticing. Thankfully, the Teanaway is a mere 1.5 hours from home. Despite having been down the Teanaway River Road and it's numerous potholes in the first miles of the road, I'd never been atop a Teanaway Range peak. Each time before, I crossed Ingalls Creek to climb Stuart (Sept., '18), Argonaut (May, '19) and Sherpa (Sept., '19). My hastily derived plan revolved around Three Brothers, the highpoint of the eastern Teanaway, with an incidental summit of Freedom and a short side trip to Navaho. I began walking the road, a mile from the TH, moments before 7am. There was a modest snowpatch that I didn't want to force the Sentra through (maybe 8 inches of clearance needed) with probable soft mud beneath. Aside from that patch, I would've been able to park next to the TH parking lot. On my return, a truck had gotten itself stuck in analogous mud trench.
AM
AM
PM
PM
In the morning, the entire area was frosted. With a dusting of snow the night before and below freezing temps to begin, I was in a wintery wonderland that was starkly different than when I exited. The Stafford Creek Trail is largely well-maintained with typical branches, downed trees, and other winter debris around. Travel was easy on the frozen snow. I brought snowshoes, crampons, axes, poles, and ample clothing as I wasn't certain how much winter I was to encounter. By 0810 at 4,200', I was at a clearing than went all the way up to the ridge just SE of Freedom Peak. While it wasn't the access "ramp" to the ridge that had expected to take, it looked fined in person and on the map and would eliminate the need for a small "out and back" to Freedom. I began my trip up and noticed some older (snow-filled) steps. Likely Rodica and Ian's steps from the weekend prior. I wound up following the rocky ridge to the summit of Freedom. This option results from the steepness of the snow and the highly annoying combination of hard-packed snow beneath the wet, dense new snow that resulted in numerous unexpected slips (crampons not on yet).
Looking back
Looking back
All the bits with rocks poking out in the foreground melted by the end of the day
All the bits with rocks poking out in the foreground melted by the end of the day
Earl, I think. Stuart in the rear on the right.
Earl, I think. Stuart in the rear on the right.
The summit came before too long (10am). It went slower than I expected, but I attribute it to weaving to and fro along the ridge to find the "easiest" path. Again, the slippery under layer and fresh snow on the rock. The biggest contributor was my reluctance to stop and don crampons for additional traction...
Three Brothers with clouds
Three Brothers with clouds
Ridge that eventually leads to Navaho summit
Ridge that eventually leads to Navaho summit
I dropped down the to the pass at 6,000' and started up the ridge. The option to traverse to Three Brother from here does exist, but the gradient of the slope, the cornices above, and how open the slopes are should deter most not wishing to get 'lanched.
Clear by the time I got to the ridge
Clear by the time I got to the ridge
My tracks coming down from Freedom. The other person followed the same route over Freedom. On the way back, there was a third sets of tracks that seemed to lead to/stop but I never say a third person.
My tracks coming down from Freedom. The other person followed the same route over Freedom. On the way back, there was a third sets of tracks that seemed to lead to/stop but I never say a third person.
When I got to the flat bits of the ridge, it seemed like the entire thing was corniced. I hope there would be a break so I could hop over to Three Brothers. Lo and behold, there was a single section without overhanging snow!
On the way up Three Brothers, hard snow, drifts, hard snow drift, repeat...
On the way up Three Brothers, hard snow, drifts, hard snow drift, repeat...
Stuart Range
Stuart Range
The broad summit of Three Brothers arrived at noon (my earlier determined turnaround time if I was 30+ minutes from the summit). I bopped around to a few spots looking for a register but never found one. I didn't dig for one either. I sat, ate fritos, looked at the Stuart Range, and noticed that the sky began to become overcast and a bit less friendly (storm expected around 8pm).
Tahoma
Tahoma
Navaho looking small
Navaho looking small
Haven't eaten Fritos is ages
Haven't eaten Fritos is ages
As I was descending Three Brothers, I passed another person and we waved. They were the only other person that I saw off of the road. Once back at the ridge, I went up to Navaho. About halfway up, I snapped a picture of the other person on the Three Brother's summit for fun.
Other person, or Sasquatch, on the Three Brother's summit (one of them).
Other person, or Sasquatch, on the Three Brother's summit (one of them).
Tracks leading from/to the non-corniced section. You can see where I was traversing then noticed as I began to go under the cornice on the way down and made a hard turn.
Tracks leading from/to the non-corniced section. You can see where I was traversing then noticed as I began to go under the cornice on the way down and made a hard turn.
It'd have been fun to traverse the ridge from road to road. Seems like it could go from the Stafford Creek TH over Freedom, Navaho, Earl, then down the ridge to the road again.
It'd have been fun to traverse the ridge from road to road. Seems like it could go from the Stafford Creek TH over Freedom, Navaho, Earl, then down the ridge to the road again.
I contemplated dropping off the other side of Navaho (the standard way up) but was unsure of the conditions and wanted to get back home as soon as feasible for evening with the family. So, I went back how I came. When I was below Freedom again, I wasn't sure if I wanted to drop down to the trail there or bop over Freedom again. I let my watch decide for me. I was sitting at 6,667 feet of elevation gain for the trip and knew that going up to Freedom would put me over 7,000', so that's what I did. This time, I took the drainage down instead of the rocky ridge and was able to boot ski nearly 1,000' of corn!
Heading down the ridge
Heading down the ridge
Freedom again, much more rock melted out in the PM. Phat cornice
Freedom again, much more rock melted out in the PM. Phat cornice
Looking up the drainage used to access the ridge. So much melt.
Looking up the drainage used to access the ridge. So much melt.
I was soon back at the trail and sauntered out from there to the car!
Most of the trail on the way out was dry interspersed with sections of snow.
Most of the trail on the way out was dry interspersed with sections of snow.
All-in-all a nice day out. It was good to have a modest weight pack 20-25lbs with food, water, and gear after really just a running vest for a few months now. I never used the snowshoes nor the axe and kept the crampons on for longer than I should have after things had softened. There was lots of trail breaking, but nothing terrible, just that dense top layer of 2-8 inches, mainly bundled as snow drifts. The snow in the area is largely consolidated with only a few short sections of punch snow. I was surprised by that with how cool the weather has been. I suppose the rain has been assisting. 17 miles, 7,200' of gain

Route Loser, Pef, fourteen410, JimK, ejain, KascadeFlat, jstern, Randito, Now I Fly, awilsondc, jaysway, zimmertr, RichP, Bootpathguy
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostSun May 15, 2022 6:05 pm 
Looks like a great day! I've yet to bag the Brother's, but Spring snow seems to be the ideal condition for the trip! Well done!

Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostSun May 15, 2022 9:35 pm 
Looks a lot different with a bunch of snow up there. I did West Brothers last June. Didn't see a register but there is a geocache. I was hoping to hit the lookout site but the elevation loss/gain didn't look too enticing. I hope to try again this year.

timberghost

timberghost
PostMon May 16, 2022 4:59 am 
Nice views except this past weekend